Honda Civic Self-Driving for $700

Cincysports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
Openpilot augments Honda Sensing. It improves upon the existing Lane Keeping Assist System and Adaptive Cruise Control features. You are correct in that it doesn't add autonomous lane changing, similar to what Tesla Autopilot does. The Neo is the hardware component that the Openpilot software runs on. The rearview mirror is removed and the Neo plugs into the data port (ethernet) that the rearview mirror camera hooks into. https://github.com/commaai/neo
I would love to support this but from everything I'm reading the improvements over the existing Honda Sensing software are minimal. Honda Sensing works very well under typical use circumstances (boring highway driving). To get me to drop serious $ on an advancement I'd want some marked improvement. If I am wrong about comma ai I'd love someone who has used it to let me know!
Sponsored

MoodyBobcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX w/ Honda Sensing
I would love to support this but from everything I'm reading the improvements over the existing Honda Sensing software are minimal. Honda Sensing works very well under typical use circumstances (boring highway driving). To get me to drop serious $ on an advancement I'd want some marked improvement. If I am wrong about comma ai I'd love someone who has used it to let me know!
From the official code repository:

openpilot is an open source driving agent.

Currently it performs the functions of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) for Hondas and Acuras. It's about on par with Tesla Autopilot at launch, and better than all other manufacturers.

https://github.com/commaai/openpilot

Also, comma.ai isn't selling the hardware or software due to NHTSA regulations. They open sourced the software (openpilot) and put the plans for the hardware component (Neo) online so you can source the parts and build one yourself.

Cincysports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
From the official code repository:

openpilot is an open source driving agent.

Currently it performs the functions of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) for Hondas and Acuras. It's about on par with Tesla Autopilot at launch, and better than all other manufacturers.

https://github.com/commaai/openpilot

Also, comma.ai isn't selling the hardware or software due to NHTSA regulations. They open sourced the software (openpilot) and put the plans for the hardware component (Neo) online so you can source the parts and build one yourself.
Thanks but I've read this blurb. How is openpilot better (and by how much)? I'm asking for real world examples from someone who has used both systems.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Thanks but I've read this blurb. How is openpilot better (and by how much)? I'm asking for real world examples from someone who has used both systems.
Well, I think the problem is that very, very few people have used the Comma AI system so there isn't much data. The only way it'll be a better system is if it gets a tremendous amount of active support, testers, programmers, etc and really turn it into a polished product. That would make me very excited to see, but I think its long-shot odds.

Cincysports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
Well, I think the problem is that very, very few people have used the Comma AI system so there isn't much data. The only way it'll be a better system is if it gets a tremendous amount of active support, testers, programmers, etc and really turn it into a polished product. That would make me very excited to see, but I think its long-shot odds.
There's some videos on the comma ai youtube:

also these people are selling the hardware assembled: http://www.neodriven.com/

How does it compare to the sensing package?
Right off the bat one major difference would be the time before the system requires you to prove you're alert - 5-6 minutes versus 30 seconds or so with Sensing. For me this would never be worth paying a grand as I always have a hand on the wheel and only occasionally get the "steering required" reminders.

The openpilot system is probably better but if they're hoping to expand its use the price of hardware is going to have to drop exponentially.

I wonder why there isn't a software only solution to use openpilot.
Sponsored