HID: kit vs. retrofit

tc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm considering swapping out the low-beam in my EX-T with HID some time soon, and I'm trying to decide between going with a kit (Morimoto Elite) or a retrofit (Morimoto Mini H1 RetroQuik).

Since the latter will entail much more work, I'd like to understand the benefit of doing a retrofit over installing a kit in the stock projector housing. Can you guys help?
Sponsored

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Are you sure you want to open up that pandora's box. Before you take advice from us, I suggest you go on hidplanet.com to look at the builds and see if it's worth it for you. Both methods will give you a better output than stock. A quick comparison will be ease of install and price vs performance. If you're one of those people who think something is "good enough", you'll be fine with a pnp kit. I've done multiple retrofits across multiple vehicles so I'll always choose the performance over the labor.

Reactions: tc3

pwee08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
the h1 quick retrofit is best bang for your buck compared to these halogen projector. You barely have any work to do. I personally would do the retroquick

Last edited:
OP
OP

tc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. What I'd like to learn is in what ways is the retrofit option is better than a HID kit in the stock projector housing, assuming equal quality kits and the same wattage & color temp? Is it in the brightness? the throw? longevity?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Simply put the projectors in stock housings are meant for halogen bulbs; their focal points, beam patterns, cutoffs, etc., will be different. In real life terms you're more prone to get hotspots and a less wider beam pattern, and a slightly more muddled cutoff. Also keep in mind that since this is light we're talking about, the further from the bulb, the more pronounced these effects will be.

Now, that is all general speak. The Civic projectors seem decent at handling both, so perhaps the small benefit is not worth the added labour.

If you were asking retrofit vs. reflector, it'd be retrofit hands down. But specific to the 10th gen Civic, the stock projectors may be alright provided you throw in a decent HID kit, and you're ok with the output.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've done full retrofits in the past and have been pretty satisfied with dropping Morimoto HID bulbs into the factory housings but the retroquik setup is no doubt going to give you better results if you are looking for super crisp output.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have pics from my old projector retro and what the output on our stock halogen projectors is. I'll try and remember to post them up when I get home.

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
The retrofit will look better 100x. Our housings are projectors, but they’re halogen projectors. They give out hot spots instead of a fully even light all across, like OEM HID lights or Retrofits.

If you’re ok doing the work, I would just pay a little extra and do the retrofit. I’m not handy with doing upgrades like this, so I opted for the HID kit. It’s not the best, but it’s decent. I’m really picky though lol. Hopefully I can find someone that could do the retrofit.