"OEM HID" build for 10th gen Civic. (Retrofit)

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Its just simply not required with the newer projectors, like the Mini D2S 5.0 or the Micro D2S 5.0. This used to be something that we had to do back in the day to center the projector, but when using the Micro D2S 5.0, the projector was already centered without the need to do this. My output photos show the results pretty clearly. When changing from one projector to the other, the output landed in the exact same place, without any shimming necessary. The only reason I could see doing this, would be if you need physical space to clear something, but that wasn't a problem on my setup.
Thanks man I appreciate it. I'll re-do it correctly and get back to ya.
Sponsored

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
Yes. I am running an H11 relay harness.

I wouldn't recommend trying to use RX350 projectors unless you're just doing it for the street-cred.

The factory H11 projector has a 2.5" lens diameter, and the RX350 is 3". For the ease of installation, I would recommend sticking with a 2.5" projector (like a Mini H1, or a Micro D2S).

The work @Rone811 did is impressive, but really no longer necessary with the current lineup of projectors available from us here at Morimoto. All that aiming, cutting, and aligning can be completely eliminated by using a 2.5" projector and a modified Retroquik bracket for an Altima. The gains you will see from going from a Micro D2S (that I used) to an RX350, are going to be minimal considering the huge amount of additional work required.
My only concern is the lack of uplight. I love the sharp cut-offs on my retrofits in my Escape, but apparently this is a bad thing. Per crashnburn80 on TW:
"This causes you to be blinded by your own low beam and unable to see beyond your cut off due to the extreme cut off contrast with no light projected beyond the low beam."

Or I can solve that in the Civic by adjusting the headlights a bit higher.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ctor-headlights.589465/page-278#post-26810399

OP
OP
DetentionDNB

DetentionDNB

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
My only concern is the lack of uplight. I love the sharp cut-offs on my retrofits in my Escape, but apparently this is a bad thing. Per crashnburn80 on TW:
"This causes you to be blinded by your own low beam and unable to see beyond your cut off due to the extreme cut off contrast with no light projected beyond the low beam."

Or I can solve that in the Civic by adjusting the headlights a bit higher.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ctor-headlights.589465/page-278#post-26810399
This is a real phenomenon. It's also the reason why you don't want your fog lights to be ridiculously bright compared to the headlights. Your eyes adjust to that one extreme brightness and loose some of that ability to see the lower light areas. Unfortunately this is one of the drawbacks to projectors with clear lenses. A lot of the OEM's have a little bit of diffusion in the lens that helps blend that transition a little bit, but you loose some of the hotspot intensity as well.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Its just simply not required with the newer projectors, like the Mini D2S 5.0 or the Micro D2S 5.0. This used to be something that we had to do back in the day to center the projector, but when using the Micro D2S 5.0, the projector was already centered without the need to do this. My output photos show the results pretty clearly. When changing from one projector to the other, the output landed in the exact same place, without any shimming necessary. The only reason I could see doing this, would be if you need physical space to clear something, but that wasn't a problem on my setup.
Hey, just wanted to say thanks! I re-did the retrofit no was washers involved. Super happy with the outcome on the retrofit on my Type R.

Honda Civic 10th gen "OEM HID" build for 10th gen Civic. (Retrofit) 2E1DED6F-E203-48E2-9FF4-75D17BE1FC75

Honda Civic 10th gen "OEM HID" build for 10th gen Civic. (Retrofit) 891EDDF5-8843-4E81-A0E1-2A73C602CFB8

Honda Civic 10th gen "OEM HID" build for 10th gen Civic. (Retrofit) 354EA43B-657C-4119-9AE4-72E91DBF6D47

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey guys! Just wanted to give a little rundown on this build I've been working on, that I'll be wrapping up this weekend.

The car in question is a 2017 Civic Sport Hatch, with the factory satin-finished halogen headlights.

I've acquired a set of the 19+ black-finish halogen headlights, but rather than just dropping them in for the visual upgrade, I've gone a little further.

I've swapped out the factory H11 Halogen projectors with a set of the new Morimoto Micro D2S projectors.

Here's a photo of the original headlights on the vehicle.

270278465_501794604594144_3567170273849006589_n.jpg

After getting the new headlights, and removing all the hardware, screws, bulbs, grommets, and anything else that was removable, I baked the headlights in a preheated oven @ 235degree Fahrenheit, for about 12 minutes.

270237880_438341557834679_6578750613021258936_n.jpg

Once removed, I separated the outer lens from the headlight by just taking it slow, and using a sharp wide flat-bladed screw driver, while also slightly bending the tabs back that hold the lens in place. Little by little, you'll start to see it separate, and eventually you'll be able to just grab hold to the thing and pull it apart, and you'll be left with this.

269766515_1721435774713803_4995766686062798165_n.jpg

I then separated the main headlight reflector from the housing, by unscrewing the 8mm adjuster in the back of the headlight, and unclipping the two circular retaining clips.

271063851_658071882291853_1805055694632648437_n.jpg

I then removed the 4 screws holding the halogen projector to the reflector assembly. I was able to modify a set of Retroquick brackets from TheRetrofitSource that are intended for a Mini H1 projector, and a Nissan Altima to work with the Micro D2S projector, on a Honda Civic. The modifications were simple enough that it only required a hand file, but a dremel would be faster.

269962361_1147202232684379_3665551199583438340_n.jpg

I then mounted the projector back to the reflector using the original mounting screws/holes. I attached the high beam solenoid wire to the projector, and while attaching the reflector back to the assembly, routed the high beam solenoid wires out the back.

Using the Morimoto Retrorubber, I went ahead and sealed the headlight back up, using pretty much a reverse of the process outlined above.

Here's the finished product when all is said and done. I'm pretty proud of the results.

finished drivers side.jpg

Here's a shot of the rear. I used an 80mm domed rubber housing cap. Also available from TheRetrofitSource. I just had to cut a slit in the bottom to pass the head of the D2S igniter thru. I faced the hole downwards to prevent water intrusion.

270286334_510253083554549_4737735277026886717_n.jpg

The bulbs being used are Osram D2S CBI bulbs and I'm utilizing a set of OEM Toyota/Lexus Denso ballasts from an IS300. I've fully potted the ballasts to prevent issues with them being exposed to the elements.

270286369_3132470503701990_7470282870579216351_n.jpg

It took me a while to track down 2 perfect headlight housings to complete this, but I'm wrapping up the 2nd headlight tonight, and plan on getting it all installed this weekend. I'll make sure to take some before and after photos to show off the improvements, as they will be DRASTIC. I hope to also compare this to a set of the OEM LED headlights to show the gains over those as well.
Can you tell me why you went with that specific ballast? Are you using a harness? Have you used any other projectors? I'd like to do another retrofit in the future and would like your recommendations. Thanks.

OP
OP
DetentionDNB

DetentionDNB

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
Can you tell me why you went with that specific ballast? Are you using a harness? Have you used any other projectors? I'd like to do another retrofit in the future and would like your recommendations. Thanks.
Happy to answer your questions.

If I didn't mention, I work in warranty support at a major aftermarket headlight manufacturer. From my experience, there's no comparison in reliability and quality to OEM parts, and headlight ballasts are no exception. The Denso ballasts are OEM in alot of Toyota/Lexus products, they just need to be fully-potted to be used in most other applications (since they aren't housed inside a casing like they would be in OEM applications). With this car being shared between myself and my wife, I didn't want to run the risk of a ballast or igniter failing on her while driving back and forth to her PHD classes.

I am running a Morimoto HD Relay harness for the power supply to the ballast, yes.

Regarding the projectors, I've tested virtually everything you could imagine here in the office.

I went with the Micro D2S 5.0 ultimately because of the size (2.5" lens), and the bulb type (D2S).

The factory projector has a 2.5" lens, so going with the same size, made for the best OEM+ fitment.

With a 2.5" lens, there aren't many options (Mini H1, Micro D2S) and of the two, the D2S gives the most options for bulbs. (Osram, Philips, etc). If a bulb goes bad, I can walk into most any autoparts store and buy a replacement (in theory, I have tons of spare bulbs because of the business I'm in), where as with an H1 HID, you're stuck with AMP-ignited aftermarket HID bulbs that you'll really only find through dedicated aftermarket headlight companies.

Hope that answers some of your questions!

OP
OP
DetentionDNB

DetentionDNB

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
Hey, just wanted to say thanks! I re-did the retrofit no was washers involved. Super happy with the outcome on the retrofit on my Type R.

2E1DED6F-E203-48E2-9FF4-75D17BE1FC75.jpeg

891EDDF5-8843-4E81-A0E1-2A73C602CFB8.jpeg

354EA43B-657C-4119-9AE4-72E91DBF6D47.jpeg
You're welcome!

Looking fantastic!

yamin1021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
Happy to answer your questions.

If I didn't mention, I work in warranty support at a major aftermarket headlight manufacturer. From my experience, there's no comparison in reliability and quality to OEM parts, and headlight ballasts are no exception. The Denso ballasts are OEM in alot of Toyota/Lexus products, they just need to be fully-potted to be used in most other applications (since they aren't housed inside a casing like they would be in OEM applications). With this car being shared between myself and my wife, I didn't want to run the risk of a ballast or igniter failing on her while driving back and forth to her PHD classes.

I am running a Morimoto HD Relay harness for the power supply to the ballast, yes.

Regarding the projectors, I've tested virtually everything you could imagine here in the office.

I went with the Micro D2S 5.0 ultimately because of the size (2.5" lens), and the bulb type (D2S).

The factory projector has a 2.5" lens, so going with the same size, made for the best OEM+ fitment.

With a 2.5" lens, there aren't many options (Mini H1, Micro D2S) and of the two, the D2S gives the most options for bulbs. (Osram, Philips, etc). If a bulb goes bad, I can walk into most any autoparts store and buy a replacement (in theory, I have tons of spare bulbs because of the business I'm in), where as with an H1 HID, you're stuck with AMP-ignited aftermarket HID bulbs that you'll really only find through dedicated aftermarket headlight companies.

Hope that answers some of your questions!
you meant micro or mini d2s 5.0? with little trim, you can fit mini d2s 5.0 in oem housing, also there’s plenty of bracket out there for 10th gen civic , basically requires no cutting.
ps: 🌚when will d2s 6.0 come out

Last edited:

OP
OP
DetentionDNB

DetentionDNB

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
you meant micro or mini d2s 5.0? with little trim, you can fit mini d2s 5.0 in oem housing, also there’s plenty of bracket out there for 10th gen civic , basically requires no cutting.
ps: 🌚when will d2s 6.0 come out
I use Micro D2S (2.5" lens) - no cutting required at all. I used a bracket that we had in stock, that aligned perfectly with the Civic's factory bolt holes, I just had to trim the internal so it would clear the lens holder of the Micro D2S.

No word on a 6.0 anytime soon.

yamin1021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
I use Micro D2S (2.5" lens) - no cutting required at all. I used a bracket that we had in stock, that aligned perfectly with the Civic's factory bolt holes, I just had to trim the internal so it would clear the lens holder of the Micro D2S.

No word on a 6.0 anytime soon.
how much difference between micro n mini d2s 5.0 ? in terms of output

OP
OP
DetentionDNB

DetentionDNB

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
how much difference between micro n mini d2s 5.0 ? in terms of output
Very little difference. You'd only likely notice with a Lux meter.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Question.. just give me your best guess...

These are the Morimoto civic headlights as you probably know
Honda Civic 10th gen "OEM HID" build for 10th gen Civic. (Retrofit) 311921244_1116629465661239_251590470781424473_n

I love those dlr's

Question is if I gut them out and put them into my retrofit will it get in the way of the projector?

Honda Civic 10th gen "OEM HID" build for 10th gen Civic. (Retrofit) looksgood

Thanks!

yamin1021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
dont think it will but where do you find them besides buying 1k+ headlights....they look badass, i was thinking about using diode dynamic amber strips for drl when i redo my retrofit...
Sponsored