Has anybody change the radiator yet???

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Time Attack, 2007 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda fit Sport World Challenge TCB, 2012 Honda Fit Sport daily, 1996 Honda Civic Coupe endurance road race, 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback rallycross, 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe project track car
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What did you attach your "H" emblem with? There is about 1/16 of a lip around the hole, where double sided tape might keep it there temporary. The OEM grill has a full backing to mount the double sided tape to. Did you brace the back of the "H" with anything?
my grill came with the emblem and a backing to mount it that was closed off. I just trimmed the backing out but left the material where the H would mount
Sponsored

ChadBme

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
my grill came with the emblem and a backing to mount it that was closed off. I just trimmed the backing out but left the material where the H would mount
What grill is that?

mark_ninan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2R
Country flag
I have done alot of development driving for Fiat Chrysler over the past 4 years and am hood friends with 2 main people,on the SRT program. The HellCat keeps cool by use of alot of airflow through the radiator as well as allowing air to escape. As I stated in tge post you quoted we know that venting the good will air in temps so i am not sure why you are asking Why it wouldnt work.
JLOracing is right. Air flow has to have an entry and EXIT. Problem: How to get an exit for the air?? Cold air has to come in, absorb the heat and get out.

Did a little checking up on grilles - It's extremely limited but if you're willing to fork out $800(i'm not.. lol) for a grille that works it's the J's racing grille. https://www.kamispeed.com/J-s-Racing-Sport-Grill-17-Honda-Civic-Type-R-p/jsr.ag-k8.htm. or https://www.rhdjapan.com/j-s-racing-type-r-front-sport-grille-fk8.html

But it's pretty ugly... looks like a whale sharks mouth!! I wonder if it would add to drag - it's like a parachute.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
JLOracing is right. Air flow has to have an entry and EXIT. Problem: How to get an exit for the air?? Cold air has to come in, absorb the heat and get out.

Did a little checking up on grilles - It's extremely limited but if you're willing to fork out $800(i'm not.. lol) for a grille that works it's the J's racing grille. https://www.kamispeed.com/J-s-Racing-Sport-Grill-17-Honda-Civic-Type-R-p/jsr.ag-k8.htm. or https://www.rhdjapan.com/j-s-racing-type-r-front-sport-grille-fk8.html

But it's pretty ugly... looks like a whale sharks mouth!! I wonder if it would add to drag - it's like a parachute.
Wow, good find. Now that looks like an effective way to set up a bubble of high pressure air. Yes, it will add quite a lot of drag, but it's acceptable in the name of cooling. You are right though, you can't stuff more air in without letting it out. You want the max volume of flow through the radiator. Easing the exit of the air would also improve cooling without quite the drag penalty. For example, you could open up the fender vents completely and put gurney flaps at the edge of the exits to help draw out air. You could also put a hood vent and an upkick in front of it like the Varis hood.

Last edited:

mark_ninan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2R
Country flag
Wow, good find. Now that looks like an effective way to set up a bubble of high pressure air. Yes, it will add quite a lot of drag, but it's acceptable in the name of cooling. You are right though, you can't stuff more air in without letting it out. You want the max volume of flow through the radiator. Easing the exit of the air would also improve cooling without quite the drag penalty. For example, you could open up the fender vents completely and put gurney flaps at the edge of the exits to help draw out air. You could also put a hood vent and an upkick in front of it like the Varis hood.
I found this: https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/...uct_Code=SEI-FD17HDCVR&Category_Code=FK8-AERO
(It's beautiful I know........)

I'm kinda new to this.. could you tell me where to add the gurney flaps to help drag air out?

Or does any one have a pic of side fenders with gurney flaps? Not sure how it draws air out though... thought the "vacumm" effect caused by the air moving past the vents would be sufficient suction. But if we could add more suction then... Why Not? :)

mark_ninan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2R
Country flag
United Speed Racing Will have louver hood vent kits soon. They were designed specifically for the CTR using 3D laser scanning of the hood. I have been using the louver vent replacement for the stock scoop for a while and does help, installing the others tomorrow and will update with pics.

0625181555.jpg

0625181555_HDR.jpg
Looks awesome....

Is it just me or does anybody bother about the rain getting into the engine bay? We have like 2100mm of rainfall every year.....

Any ideas or suggestions?

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
United Speed Racing Will have louver hood vent kits soon. They were designed specifically for the CTR using 3D laser scanning of the hood. I have been using the louver vent replacement for the stock scoop for a while and does help, installing the others tomorrow and will update with pics.

0625181555.jpg

0625181555_HDR.jpg
Cannot wait to install this bad boy

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I found this: https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/...uct_Code=SEI-FD17HDCVR&Category_Code=FK8-AERO
(It's beautiful I know........)

I'm kinda new to this.. could you tell me where to add the gurney flaps to help drag air out?

Or does any one have a pic of side fenders with gurney flaps? Not sure how it draws air out though... thought the "vacumm" effect caused by the air moving past the vents would be sufficient suction. But if we could add more suction then... Why Not? :)
What I'm referring to is not something anyone has for sale, but GM put similar vertical flaps ahead of the Z06's front fenders in order to draw out air from the wheel well. What the goal would be is to put a vertical lip that flicks the air outward from the fender right as it goes past the fender vent. That will (hopefully) increase the low pressure and suck a bit of additional hot air. If I were campaigning a race car, it's the kind of thing I would totally want to test in order to get data on if it works or not.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
well i have personally seen data on other cars that turbo blankets have reduced coolant temps. High underhood ambient temps cause heat soak to everything including radiator, coolant lines, expansion tank, etc As stated I personally did not change the radiator, that was done by a friend that works for Honda R&D and races his FK8/Si. I also know from other personal experience that properly made and placed hood louvers will greatly reduce coolant temps. I have a k20z3 swapped full time attack Honda Fit. I consistently had coolant temp issues and after building a new radiator support to place the radiator in a better location and directing airflow better I saw a good reduction but dropped another 15 degrees with aluminum louvered vents in the hood. With the CTR I am trying not to cut the hood yet. But i do have an aluminum lower tray that i fabricated that has louvers in it to help pull heat out the bottom. Will be testing that this year. I know that my Honda R&D friend has tested temps at the fender vents blocking off areas and saw no real change. I also have information from a very good source that the hood vent worked well in theory and in the computer but during real world testing they saw no improvement at all and considered removing the hood vent all together but due to already having the stamp molds made for the hood they decided to keep it and added the channel to direct water off to the sides
Do you recommend installing an oil cooler?

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
The grille is the issue it’s obvious cause the fk2 uses the same radiator without overheating. I’ve heard guys buy rad oil cooler intercooler turbo blankets intakes have all that and still overheat. The grille just doesn’t let enough air through. Even the 2020 still overhears but that grille only lets 18 percent more air through. It’s just not enough.

caner92

First Name
Caner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R FK8
Country flag
anyone have the megan racing radiator?