Has anyone tried this cooling mod approach yet?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
>Honda Master Tech.
>I've been doing countless warranty a/c repairs every day since the weather became hotter, its about 115F on a regular basis where I am.

My question is, inspecting the base model hatches as well as the Si, they all use half sized condensers. The base model hatchback condenser only blocks the upper half of the radiator, there is little to no condenser area behind the intercooler. Has anyone tried fitting a base model condenser onto the Type R, as the Type R condenser is full sized? It would seem to me that nothing has worked (larger radiators, auxiliary coolers, etc) and that HPD has seen some success in the TCR car by eliminating the condenser.

Wouldn't using the half sized condenser that works on the base model hatch allow more radiator airflow?
Has anyone tried modifying the skid plate to exit hot engine bay air down through the bottom of the car, taking advantage of the airflow under the car to pull the air out?
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I’m sure a half size condenser would help but I’m not sure if it would be huge.

As for the skid plate, it made no difference in cooling and created more drag.

OP
OP
DRUSA

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
well that sucks lol. Any link to the failed skid plate? I'm just curious to see the results and design. Thanks for the quick reply

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
well that sucks lol. Any link to the failed skid plate? I'm just curious to see the results and design. Thanks for the quick reply
I didn’t really document it cause it wasn’t worth it. I have anecdotal evidence of no improved cooling and a reduction of MPG.

OP
OP
DRUSA

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
well noted, i was just trying to think beyond the typical cooling mods everyone has been attempting and that I have been reading here. I was hoping that you could maybe do something along the lines of the 70's Lotus F1 JPS, add some small skirting to the underbelly to induce ground effect/bernoulli principle to increase under car airflow and suck hot air out of the compartment by adding NACA ducts to the aluminum pan. Honda is already trying to evacuate air with ducting, was just hoping to improve that somehow. Wishful thinking:dunno:

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Wouldn't using the half sized condenser that works on the base model hatch allow more radiator airflow?
Has anyone tried modifying the skid plate to exit hot engine bay air down through the bottom of the car, taking advantage of the airflow under the car to pull the air out?
Interesting idea with the condenser, I don't use the AC anyway.

2nd, Yes, I did remove the aluminum belly tray. In combination with opening the bumper and hood vents, removing the cowl weatherstripping, adding Hypercool to coolant, installing turbo blanket, fully wrapped downpipe and frontpipe and AeroLite heat taping the "tunnel" the DP/FP follow under the motor... I made it through a Porsche club track event without power being robbed.

I also heavily sprayed the whole frontal area between laps.

OP
OP
DRUSA

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The s2000 uses this splash shield behind the radiator to pull the air out, other models try this.

Honda Civic 10th gen Has anyone tried this cooling mod approach yet? 16705_3
Sponsored