afatblft

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Country flag
Hey, new to the forum. Hope you're all healthy and safe.

I'm gonna be buying a si soon and I wanted a bit of a guide for a route on modding/tuning the car. It'll be the first time I'll be doing such a thing and I wanted to get a good guide for this car.

Ideally I wanna work the car to a close 300 whp and a good number for wtq, say above 250.

I would build this slowly cause of money, but these are the goals in the end.

Thanks.
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You can get over 250 wtq with just a tune. But if you want 300 whp/250 wtq on pump gas, then you'll probably need to go FBO + turbo upgrade + custom tune. Will probably want to upgrade your clutch to be on the safe side also.

OP
OP

afatblft

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Country flag
You can get over 250 wtq with just a tune. But if you want 300 whp/250 wtq on pump gas, then you'll probably need to go FBO + turbo upgrade + custom tune. Will probably want to upgrade your clutch to be on the safe side also.
Thanks, man. Honestly didn't expect a reply so quickly. I'm new to this whole tuning thing, but it's always interested me. I want my future si to be something I'll always have fun working on and riding.

Phillyp17

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey afatblft, welcome to the forum.

I’m also looking to mod to be around the 300-325hp range. Or at least something to keep a 5.0’s mouth shut lol.

Ideally and currently what I’m researching are these mods, the part can vary based on pricing, company cred and overall performance.

Ktuner V2
27won Cold Air Intake
27won Intercooler and piping
PRL Front & Downpipe
HKS Exhaust
Either 27won or PRL big turbo Kit
Eman’s FK8 Retrofit clutch
Lightweight rims and grippy tires
And lastly, a custom tune done by a professional.

Again this is just based on my own research and my personal opinions for what I want. Feel free to conduct your own and find what you think is better. I hope this helps! Good luck!

OP
OP

afatblft

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Country flag
Hey afatblft, welcome to the forum.

I’m also looking to mod to be around the 300-325hp range. Or at least something to keep a 5.0’s mouth shut lol.

Ideally and currently what I’m researching are these mods, the part can vary based on pricing, company cred and overall performance.

Ktuner V2
27won Cold Air Intake
27won Intercooler and piping
PRL Front & Downpipe
HKS Exhaust
Either 27won or PRL big turbo Kit
Eman’s FK8 Retrofit clutch
Lightweight rims and grippy tires
And lastly, a custom tune done by a professional.

Again this is just based on my own research and my personal opinions for what I want. Feel free to conduct your own and find what you think is better. I hope this helps! Good luck!
Wow this pretty great to read. It's pretty awesome how welcoming this forum is so far. Now looking at your reply and arpypat, it looks like the ktuner with the bolt ons are first in order: cold air intake, intercooler/pipes, fp dp and then the other things. I'll be reading a lot. I want as much info as I can get before making these steps come through. I'll be updating this in a few months on what I'll do. I'll try to keep you all updated.

raingsey1

First Name
Raingsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
As the others mentioned, a tune is a great start. There's either Ktuner V1.2 or V2 and Hondata, depending on whichever suits you. twostepperformance.com(237whp/281tq on 93 gas) and phearable.net(235whp/285tq) are a few of the common tunes being run. If you buy the tuning device from them you can get their stage 1 tunes for free. Next many people go with a cold air intake. PRL and 27won are fairly popular options. The rest can probably be done in any order. Except maybe the clutch if things start slipping. Keep in mind that the PRL big turbo does come with it's own downpipe so just in case you were thinking about going this route.

OP
OP

afatblft

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Country flag
As the others mentioned, a tune is a great start. There's either Ktuner V1.2 or V2 and Hondata, depending on whichever suits you. twostepperformance.com(237whp/281tq on 93 gas) and phearable.net(235whp/285tq) are a few of the common tunes being run. If you buy the tuning device from them you can get their stage 1 tunes for free. Next many people go with a cold air intake. PRL and 27won are fairly popular options. The rest can probably be done in any order. Except maybe the clutch if things start slipping. Keep in mind that the PRL big turbo does come with it's own downpipe so just in case you were thinking about going this route.

Thanks, man. I'll probably going with the Ktuner v2 since the touch screen will be pretty handy when it comes to having it in the car. I'll be researching quite awhile before making any solid moves, but with the ktuner, I'll be fine for a bit.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Defiantly start with a tune. Ktuner or Hondata work great. For those numbers, you'd probably have to go FBO and I'd say E85 over the big turbo. And most def get a clutch to hold the power. The reason I'd choose flex over the big turbo is spool time. Yea you could probably make way over 300 whp with a big turbo but all that power would come in top end.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep def gonna need to go fbo and flex. I think flex fuel alone with stage 2 tune will push you around 275 ish

Only thing which kinda sucks about this platform is that you're going to need to upgrade your clutch if you ever wanna go for big power, so gotta set aside a solid 1k-2k for a clutch + install alone

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
Sorry, but it might make more sense to get a Type R if you can get one without a markup.

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2108 civic si sedan
Country flag
I would recommend staying away from hondata on the si. I've seen a lot of people having issues with it.

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I would recommend staying away from hondata on the si. I've seen a lot of people having issues with it.
I've had a Hondata +6 basemap for nearly 3 years without issue. The only issue I've seen come up consistently in this forum is that people with Hondata (myself included) freak out the first time their tach turns into a lambda sensor readout while driving and starts bouncing all over the place. This happens when the driver presses the reduce speed button on cruise control while the cruise control system is not turned on. To revert back to a normal tach, you only have to press the same button again.

All of that said, I got it because there is a cheaper option to get the tune from a tuner directly without buying the Flashpro hardware and I was looking to save money at the time, but there is stronger community support here for KTuner and so that's probably the way to go due to the wealth of information available.

Also of note, I had a little bit of clutch slip when this thing was stock. The +6 tune obviously wouldn't do the clutch any favors so I am now much more careful about throttle application. Some owners have slip at stock power levels, some have slip at 250hp, a few probably higher still. But it really is worth paying attention to the clutch warnings you are seeing here if you want to push 300hp. Plan ahead for that cost because it will become relevant sometime before you hit your target.

*Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum :wave:

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2108 civic si sedan
Country flag
I've had a Hondata +6 basemap for nearly 3 years without issue. The only issue I've seen come up consistently in this forum is that people with Hondata (myself included) freak out the first time their tach turns into a lambda sensor readout while driving and starts bouncing all over the place. This happens when the driver presses the reduce speed button on cruise control while the cruise control system is not turned on. To revert back to a normal tach, you only have to press the same button again.

All of that said, I got it because there is a cheaper option to get the tune from a tuner directly without buying the Flashpro hardware and I was looking to save money at the time, but there is stronger community support here for KTuner and so that's probably the way to go due to the wealth of information available.

Also of note, I had a little bit of clutch slip when this thing was stock. The +6 tune obviously wouldn't do the clutch any favors so I am now much more careful about throttle application. Some owners have slip at stock power levels, some have slip at 250hp, a few probably higher still. But it really is worth paying attention to the clutch warnings you are seeing here if you want to push 300hp. Plan ahead for that cost because it will become relevant sometime before you hit your target.

*Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I've seen a lot of people on Facebook forums blowing engines running Hondata granted I don't know the full story of how they are treating the car but when I bought my si I was told to stay away from it. Plus ktuner has a lot more options in my opinion

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
Sorry, but it might make more sense to get a Type R if you can get one without a markup.
For the record, I wasn't trying to be a smarta$$. It's just to me if you're spending all that money, time and effort to upgrade your Si than a CTR would be a better deal. IMHO as always and whatever route you take welcome and good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP

afatblft

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
Country flag
For the record, I wasn't trying to be a smarta$$. It's just to me if you're spending all that money, time and effort to upgrade your Si than a CTR would be a better deal. IMHO as always and whatever route you take welcome and good luck!
it's all good, I didn't take it like that at all. So it is right that it will be a bit of money, but my expenses won't be so much in body shops since my uncle is a mechanic so a lot of that cost will be eliminated. and to include, this is a car I want to enjoy working on and feel like it is built with my hands. Thanks for welcoming me. This is a great forum.
Sponsored