Gas pedal leg woes

Timmeh8604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have this same problem. I often Uber for 6-8 hours straight sometimes and no matter how I rest my foot, my leg gets very uncomfortable as well as my ankle. I have tried many different angles for the gas foot and nothing helps. I have manual seats and have tried sitting higher and lower, forward or back and its just not a comfortable car to drive for more than an hour.
Sponsored

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have mounted 10mm aluminiumdistance at the front of my seats. Much better
I am unsure what you mean, can you please elaborate? I have the same problem as the others in this post and would like to find solution. I travel 30 minutes each way to work and use the Cruise Control as much as possible. I have from the beginning realized I should have gotten the electric seats but I didn't want all the other stuff you had to take with them. I would like the front of the seat higher. I think that's what you did. can you pls share? Thx.

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
I am unsure what you mean, can you please elaborate? I have the same problem as the others in this post and would like to find solution. I travel 30 minutes each way to work and use the Cruise Control as much as possible. I have from the beginning realized I should have gotten the electric seats but I didn't want all the other stuff you had to take with them. I would like the front of the seat higher. I think that's what you did. can you pls share? Thx.
Un-bolt the front 2 bolts and place spacers under the seat mounts and re-bolt.

Robin

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
It's not so much "the room" I'm very tall and have plenty of room, it's the lack of leg support Im talking about and the op also I believe. I had more leg support in the sedan as the seat went back a little further which caused my thigh to rest on the seat more. I've got the seat down in the back and up in the front as far as it will go. I need about 1 more inch of seat under my mid thigh to support my legs. Right now it feels like 100% of my weight is on my butt(lower back) instead of being distributed through my thighs.
I had the same weight on butt feeling as I have to have the seat low for headroom. I added washers under the rear mounting points and that worked by distributing my weight to my thighs. Before I did this I also found the gas pedal pressure was an issue (I was uncomfortable in many ways) but now it seems ok.

OP
OP
jacobhanson1010
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
Un-bolt the front 2 bolts and place spacers under the seat mounts and re-bolt.
I thought of using something like that, but didn't think it would work due to the angle of the front brackets. Do you know what spacers you used? Is there a link to home Depot or something you provide for the size of spacer?

OP
OP
jacobhanson1010
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bump, I'm going mad... when I move the seat far enough away from the gas pedal that my foot does not rest on the pedal, the clutch and steering wheel are too far away. Is there really no one else with this issue? Do I have abnormal body proportions lol?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Bump, I'm going mad... when I move the seat far enough away from the gas pedal that my foot does not rest on the pedal, the clutch and steering wheel are too far away. Is there really no one else with this issue? Do I have abnormal body proportions lol?
Do you put your whole foot on the gas pedal?

OP
OP
jacobhanson1010
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you put your whole foot on the gas pedal?
Not because I want to, I usually drive with my big toes or the ball of my foot. Doing this causes my heel to scoot back, and thus my knee to bend and my thigh to pick up off the seat. Hence the tightness in the quads.

If I want to keep my thighs flat on the seat (supported) I have to extend my leg all the way out, which puts my foot flat onto the pedal. This is the only way I can stay close enough to the clutch.

How do you sit / position your feet?

Last edited:

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I'm 6'1", hefty, and like a 'close' to the wheel position. There's ONE combination of seat height, back tilt, and front to rear that works for me. If one of the three is off by one notch, it's not comfortable. Once I get it set properly, I have no problem making an all day drive. Go in for an oil change, I get to do it all again because whoever makes that 20 yard drive into and out of the service bay adjusts it every which way.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Seats are OK, could be much better but Honda put in 0% tints in this car and its soo annoying. Because my car is so low, anyone who stops next to me at a stoplight (dumptruck/pickup drivers) peek into my cab and see everything I do...ugh and I can't put tints on because of inspection laws on tints. double UGH

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Not because I want to, I usually drive with my big toes or the ball of my foot. Doing this causes my heel to scoot back, and thus my knee to bend and my thigh to pick up off the seat. Hence the tightness in the quads.

If I want to keep my thighs flat on the seat (supported) I have to extend my leg all the way out, which puts my foot flat onto the pedal. This is the only way I can stay close enough to the clutch.

How do you sit / position your feet?
On the first day with my first driving instructor, he had me slide my foot down so that only my toes pushed the pedal. I was having trouble with giving the car too much gas, and this helped me use smaller inputs on the pedal. So you're doing that part right, I'd say.

Working my way from my head (also about 6'1" with a 34" inseam and Hank Hill-style flat butt) --

- Angle my seatback upright enough so that I can put my head against the headrest and look straight forward, not at the visor or instrument cluster;
- Extend the steering wheel towards me as far as it will go;
- While keeping my shoulders against the seatback, slide the seat forward until I can comfortably rest my wrist on top of the wheel.

After doing this much, my feet end up in a pretty good position. I can reach the floor under the brake pedal (in my EP3, I could work the clutch while still leaving a slight bend in my knee), and I can use my toes on the gas pedal without my right knee getting in the way too much.

** What I'm wondering about more is why your quads are getting tight. Do you think you're subconsciously holding up your leg instead of relaxing it?

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I get the issue you speak of (or at least similar to what it sounds like) more in my gf's rav4 than in my Si. I've also struggled to find the great spot in the Si, but for me I've found the angles are about right when my hair just brushes the roof. I do a lot of seat back to the laying position, for lunch naps, but very little movement otherwise. One change I made recently was to move the wheel up just a big, which allowed me to both see my bright light indicator and move my right knee up a bit between the console and the steering wheel. I'm at 6'3" or 6'4" and I too have very quickly worn a hole through my mat.

OP
OP
jacobhanson1010
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
** What I'm wondering about more is why your quads are getting tight. Do you think you're subconsciously holding up your leg instead of relaxing it?
I'm thinking that's part of the issue for sure, some kind of muscle memory thing trying to keep only my toes on the pedal, thus holding my thigh up and not relaxing.

Would this help anyone on this thread? https://acuityinstruments.com/products/acuity-pedal-spacer-for-the-10th-gen-civic

For $100 you can move the gas pedal around. It may not fix everything but this would be a lot cheaper than a new seat or car. I bought mine a year ago and never looked back.
Thought about that, but if anything I feel I'd need to move the gas pedal further away which this would not achieve. Wish it would solve it!

Thanks for the responses guys, glad to know I'm not the only one with the issue. I'll follow your adjustment tips and see if I can get comfy :D I've also started to accept that this is just a small car made for smaller people...
Sponsored