2018 Civic Si audio woes

moneyslap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si coupe
Hello,

I am a recent owner of a 2018 Civic Si coupe and was hoping others could share their experiences with using an iPod and/or Android Auto.
I am using a 5th gen iPod video connected to the center USB port.
I have found that while listening to music, I will intermittently hear very brief 1/4 of a second pops. I have confirmed from multiple devices that the mp3s in use are good rips and that they do not pop/skip. I am unable to consistently replicate this, it is completely random and intermittent.
For example, I will start to play an mp3 from the iPod, listen to it for ~30 seconds, then there will be a noticeable pop/skipping sound for less than 1/4 of a second, and then it will continue. If I restart the song from the beginning, it will either pop at a different location in the track, or it will finish without issues, but then upon playing another mp3 the whole ordeal starts again...
I have tested using another iPod usb cable, tested with the front usb port, same random results.

I have also tested with my Android (Motorola Moto G5 Plus) with different USB cables using Android Auto, and I am getting the same results where it will make this random popping/skipping sound and then continue playing.
I went to the Diagnostics menu and disabled Apple Car Play, disabled album art, deleted album art from my mp3s, rebooted the head unit, and I am not having any progress resolving this.

I tested Apple Car Play with a buddies iPhone, listened to music at high volume for a couple hours, neither of us were able to detect any pops, skipping, or artifacts whatsoever. We both were able to easily hear when the iPod or Android phone pops.

I was reading up online and have heard others talk about this, more so when using Blutooth. Does the headunit not have enough processing resources, or could it just be poorly written software? At this point I have run out of troubleshooting steps and am not sure how to proceed with this... Do I give up and purchase an iPhone and hope that it works, or go to the dealer and show them the issue and request a firmware update to the headunit (assuming they are able to do this and assuming an update will in fact fix this).

The headunit shows the following information:
Version Information
Applications: Ver.1.F1A1.25
Device No.: 978P7289

Android Version 4.2.2
Kernel version 3.1.10
Build number: 1.F1A1.25

This is an extremely frustrating thing to deal with and has sort of tainted the overall awesomeness of this car to me.
I appreciate any of your insight into this.

Thank you,
Sponsored

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have a 2017 civic and my build number looks a little different than yours. I think every year has a different sequence. I just brought my car in and complained about a few issues with my radio and asked them to update the build number. I now have the latest. The service technician said the update fixes about 22 known bugs and he described a couple issues that I had been experiencing for the past year. My advice is to bring your car in and ask them to update the radio. It takes them 10-15 minutes to plug the thumb drive in. If they don't have a fix for your issue now, chances are it will come out soon if it is a common problem.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/civic-rough-idle-and-radio-software-update.22526/