Gas Mileage

biggyb87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. I know this topic is in the "general forum"s but I was wondering if anyone here in California notice their gas mileage is lower then what other people state from different states. For myself, I'm only averaging around 32 MPG and my commute is about 25 miles round trip on the 55 freeway and 405 freeway in Orange County. I wonder if it's because of how we drive and the amount of traffic we have on our freeways. Thanks.
Sponsored

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
Currently at 1000 miles and my MPG is 31. I live close to work (8 miles) it looks like I drive slightly more on the city street than freeway. I still wish my MPG was higher, though.

Lukcas02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civicx Coupe
I have a heavy foot and I drive 150miles a day and I'm getting 36.6 MPG...this is with the 2.0L engine and I usually use "S" mode.

Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag
I am getting 34mpg on ~35mile round trip from 91-55-22. I also have kind of a heavy foot and it's kind of uphill heading back to the IE after work.

Chiaroscuro

Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda FC2 Sport / 2016 Honda FC2 LX
Country flag
FC2 - 27.5 MPG on Econ Mode, no spirited driving in LA :banghead:

BatGuano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Hey guys. I know this topic is in the "general forum"s but I was wondering if anyone here in California notice their gas mileage is lower then what other people state from different states. For myself, I'm only averaging around 32 MPG and my commute is about 25 miles round trip on the 55 freeway and 405 freeway in Orange County. I wonder if it's because of how we drive and the amount of traffic we have on our freeways. Thanks.
I live/drive in "L.A. proper" which means almost exclusively surface streets with rare unclogged freeway driving. I sit in a lot of crawling and non-moving traffic, on and off the freeway.

My mileage is nowhere near the EPA rating of 28 mpg for city. On the rare occasions when I can track only highway mileage, I do much better, closer to 40 mpg, especially if it's flat.

Oh, and the figures above are with ECON on.

misterbrazyho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX-P
I'm only averaging 28 MPG and my daily commute consists of driving to class, then to the gym, then back home. I drive to work too, but I live 1.5 miles from work and it takes me 3 minutes to drive there.

It's very frustrating seeing people in general discussion threads averaging upwards to 40 MPG :-(

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How many people can drive to & from work in LA for 10 days on about a gallon of gas? You'll get better mileage on trips but for an everyday commute you've got it great.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
It's instructive to watch the instantaneous mpg on the Trip A or B screen. It's correctly 0 mpg when you're stopped and idling, and it's 80 (max on bar graph) when you're coasting. I want to start paying more attention to it to see if it's true that the most economical constant speed regarding gas consumption for the 1.5L turbo engine is a little less than 40 mph, as the Honda graph that was posted on another thread indicated. As to averages, you have to consider the total time that you are stopped or going at snail's pace; this obviously brings your average down.

Last edited:

Spammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I usually get 33 MPG (with econ or without econ) on a 120 mile round trip on I-15 (Temecula-SD Fwy). Also have a heavy foot and usually have 4 passengers. Still trying to do 40+ mpg but I doubt it haha :(

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm only averaging 28 MPG and my daily commute consists of driving to class, then to the gym, then back home. I drive to work too, but I live 1.5 miles from work and it takes me 3 minutes to drive there.

It's very frustrating seeing people in general discussion threads averaging upwards to 40 MPG :-(
That's actually pretty good MPG considering how short your daily trips are. Lots of people would kill for that commute lol. I'd be lucky to get 10 MPG here in WV with the cold morning commutes.

The 40+ MPG crowd is doing mostly highway and longer commutes.

Bugman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I usually get between 32 and 39 mpg. 32 in freeway commuting traffic and 39 in two lane traffic going 35 to 45 mph. It did take a few hundred miles before the mileage went up, it started in the mid twenties when new.

misterbrazyho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX-P
That's actually pretty good MPG considering how short your daily trips are. Lots of people would kill for that commute lol. I'd be lucky to get 10 MPG here in WV with the cold morning commutes.

The 40+ MPG crowd is doing mostly highway and longer commutes.
I see.. I wasn't aware of this. I suppose I'm stressing too much over the numbers when I should be rejoicing over the fact a full tank usually lasts me up to 2 weeks! :doh:

I usually get between 32 and 39 mpg. 32 in freeway commuting traffic and 39 in two lane traffic going 35 to 45 mph. It did take a few hundred miles before the mileage went up, it started in the mid twenties when new.
That would explain things since my car still has really low mileage. I'll keep an eye on my average MPG to see if it rises above 30 after I hit 1,000 miles.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see.. I wasn't aware of this. I suppose I'm stressing too much over the numbers when I should be rejoicing over the fact a full tank usually lasts me up to 2 weeks! :doh:
Absolutely! The ones of us who get the better MPG are spending way more in gas $$$ than you are lol. Its our way of trying to compensate haha

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
You can easily improve mgp on highway driving at a constant speed if you're willing to sacrifice speed (and, obviously, travel time). Below is the graph that HondaSean posted from Car and Driver, http://blog.caranddriver.com/a-tale-of-two-honda-civics-turbo-vs-non-turbo-fuel-economy/

As I previously posted, the most efficient constant speed appears to be a little under 40 mph (about 68 mpg). 40 mph might be a good target speed for overall engine design (considering we spend much time idling at lights and driving slowly -- and not driving 60+ mph) -- but it's of little consolation when you have a wide-open highway for hours. Looks to me like the 42 mpg Highway advertised corresponds to a constant speed of about 70 mph for the 1.5L

Honda Civic 10th gen Gas Mileage img_2803-
Sponsored

Last edited: