Fuel to the Fire: 1.5T in 10G Accord Gets VTEC

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I dont like the turbo lag in the 1.5. My previous car had a supercharger. No lag.
different strokes for different folks.

I had a 9th gen SI with a CT-E Supercharger on it, and I enjoy the power delivery of the turbo much more. exponential torque curve gives me more enjoyment even when I'm just driving around normally.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I find it very difficult to justify paying $6,210 more for an Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT than a Civic Si for what little acceleration advantage it might have along with a little more room and comfort.

The slightly-larger Accord has a few more safety and creature comforts like Honda Sensing, a power seat, and LED low beams and fog lights with automatic high beams.

The Civic Si has an adaptive damper system, helical limited-slip differential, and the handling and efficiency advantages of being about 300 lbs. lighter.

In my opinion, the gap between luxury and sport is much smaller than the $6,210 price difference.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Manual transmissions are obsolete by performance standards...hell, all major auto race vehicles have automatics/paddle shifters. The only reason Honda offers them is to have an option for those enthusiasts who still like to row their own gears.
That will end soon enough. In 10 years or so no manuals will be available. In 20 or less very few combustion engines will be available. And the tax to own a combustion engine will only allow the rich to enjoy on a weekend jaunt. There will also probably be a tax on how many miles a combustion engine is driven at that point as well. Forcing all owners to go electric.

This assumes we can even buy cars in 20 plus years and aren't forced to ride in self driving electric vehicles.

The only plus at that point is even a basic electric car will go to 0-60 in under 5 seconds. Fast but surely not fun with only one gear.

I'm not sure auto enthusiasts (of today) are ready for what's coming. It's not good.

Last edited:

Rockstar08

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4
Country flag
Sorry absolutely not true, electric is not the way of the future its limited. Big oil rules the land and always will and FYI there is absolutely no shortage of oil, that tactic is only used to control the rigged markets..sorry but completely disagree with you. Guess we will see who is correct in about ten years!

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Sorry absolutely not true, electric is not the way of the future its limited. Big oil rules the land and always will and FYI there is absolutely no shortage of oil, that tactic is only used to control the rigged markets..sorry but completely disagree with you. Guess we will see who is correct in about ten years!
Trying not to get political here, but once the Dem's get back into power, and they for sure will in either 4 years or 8 years from now, I assure you they will double down on "getting green" from what we have now. And they will take it to another level we've never seen before. "Big oil" will be taxed so heavily in 20 years it will not be viable in everyday use. They will no longer rule the land in any way shape or form.

In addition, the electric vehicle technology will gain in 20 years. 500 plus miles on a charge easy. Even 1000 on a charge may become possible. And charge times will reduce greatly. The need for a combustion engine will be over. They may still sell them, but the taxes on them will be crazy to ensure electric is for the everyday person. Combustion cars if still sold only for the rich.

Manuals done in 10 years. Combustion engines done in 20. In the US. Hope this site is still around then so we can review this thread.

XpoH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I find it very difficult to justify paying $6,210 more for an Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT than a Civic Si for what little acceleration advantage it might have along with a little more room and comfort.
6.5 and 5.7 seconds to 60 it is hell of a difference, like night and day to be honest.
interior is way better, technology is way better.
immo, it is worth every penny.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
The manual Accord zroger mentioned did 6.2 to 60. The exact same time the SI did in C&D. The 10 speed auto did 5.7. Anyways the SI will handle a whole lot better than the heavier Accord and has a lot more grip .96 vs .85 on the pad . I do like the new Accord though it is clearly the best car in its class now. I will certainly consider one in the future should I want the added comfort, room and tech..

Last edited:

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Haven't read the whole thread.

I miss VTEC and a higher redline. 3 months in, this car just is not very enjoyable to drive. Coming from 17 years of driving high reving Honda engines, I just miss it and all the hype over torque is not enough to make up for it.

In fact I think my last 07 SI was much easier to drive. It had no torque but that engine was just so much more forgiving in almost all situations. The current turbo lags below 2500 rpm and is flat and boring after 5000 rpm and hits the redline quicker than expected. You have like 2 seconds of enjoyment for each shift. Every vtec I drove over the last 3 iterations (07 SI, 01 Prelude SH, 94 GS-R) each gear was a blast to shift from idle all the way up.

Rockstar08

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4
Country flag
Still don't agree sorry, the DEMS will NOT be back in power in 4 or 8 years. They have absolutely no one and will be lucky if their party is still breathing. Trump will drain the swamp so to speak and get us back on the right track in America of taking our country back from both corrupted parties! As far as battery technology improving to where you think it will be I highly doubt it. I view this as a stop gap or in between technology imo. Always always remember MONEY controls everything and that goes 100% for our corrupt politicians. Big Pharma and Big Oil will never ever go away you can bet on it brother! lol

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Still don't agree sorry, the DEMS will NOT be back in power in 4 or 8 years. They have absolutely no one and will be lucky if their party is still breathing. Trump will drain the swamp so to speak and get us back on the right track in America of taking our country back from both corrupted parties! As far as battery technology improving to where you think it will be I highly doubt it. I view this as a stop gap or in between technology imo. Always always remember MONEY controls everything and that goes 100% for our corrupt politicians. Big Pharma and Big Oil will never ever go away you can bet on it brother! lol
:lol:

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Haven't read the whole thread.

I miss VTEC and a higher redline. 3 months in, this car just is not very enjoyable to drive. Coming from 17 years of driving high reving Honda engines, I just miss it and all the hype over torque is not enough to make up for it.

In fact I think my last 07 SI was much easier to drive. It had no torque but that engine was just so much more forgiving in almost all situations. The current turbo lags below 2500 rpm and is flat and boring after 5000 rpm and hits the redline quicker than expected. You have like 2 seconds of enjoyment for each shift. Every vtec I drove over the last 3 iterations (07 SI, 01 Prelude SH, 94 GS-R) each gear was a blast to shift from idle all the way up.
I agree with you 100%. I use to have a 2014 Si and was really interested in the 17 but after driving it I was disappointed. My close friend has a sport and I find that car so linear and actually quicker then the 17 Si. I would love for someone to compare both back to back.
Sponsored