Fuel overfill - Honda is aware and working on it?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you very much for this information. I was at my Honda dealer today morning and they have ordered the parts. One has to be diligent with all these TSBs. The Honda dealer had no idea that this TSB was put out by Honda and they looked a bit surprised seeing my hard copy of TSB. But in the end, they were able have Honda authorize the parts needed.

In fact, shame on Honda. Just like a recall, they should be sending out TSBs in the mail/email, so that people can take action. I guess they are trying to save face and some money by not advertising these TSBs.
Well considering TSB's are for the dealer and really just explain to a dealer how to fix issues that have come up, its not really necessary to put them out to all Honda owners since not all civics are affected. These are more for people who have come in complaining, now it can be fixed. We are just lucky to have access to them so we can let other members know IF they are having this issue, then you can ask about it.
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would have sold the car off like a used automobile at the drop of a hat, all day and all night, if this was happening to my car. Don't even bother wasting your time visiting a dealer and getting fleeced.
right sell a car bc of a minor issue that now has a fix.....oh and my dealer isnt fleecing me. I have good one :) That's how im probably going to end up in an Accord soon.

josef104

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
right sell a car bc of a minor issue that now has a fix.....oh and my dealer isnt fleecing me. I have good one :) That's how im probably going to end up in an Accord soon.
It was more than a minor annoyance to me. It bugged me every time I had to fill up the car and I did consider selling and getting another car. You end up either having to guess and not fill up to the top or deal with gas running down the side of the car on the paint and the cleanup afterwards. Not fun when you have to do it couple of times every week...

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It was more than a minor annoyance to me. It bugged me every time I had to fill up the car and I did consider selling and getting another car. You end up either having to guess and not fill up to the top or deal with gas running down the side of the car on the paint and the cleanup afterwards. Not fun when you have to do it couple of times every week...
I noticed mine seem to not do it as much at certain gas stations. I guess it was pump type or sensitivity. My gas station I use most upgraded pumps last year and it got better. I just dont top er off anymore. whatever it stops at is it.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You are overlooking assembly differences between where the Hatches are born, UK Swindon plant and the domestic plant in Ohio. Also, the hatch body is simply a better platform and to punctuate, it shares too many similarities than difference with type R which is another analogous hatch.
You'll never listen Troll. Bye.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
You'll never listen Troll. Bye.
Has anyone done the tsb 18-014 yet? I didn’t get the fuel lid cover on my civic 2016 ext.

Also can you take a picture of your new cap? Mine looks exactly the same as the old style

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone done the tsb 18-014 yet? I didn’t get the fuel lid cover on my civic 2016 ext.
no, but I called my dealer and they said next time Im in they will do it and add the cover

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
Got the TSB done today. I havent fill up my tank yet but will let you guys know if its still a problem. Took the dealer like an hour to do but they have to order the part directly from Honda.

A coworker of mine has the 17' hatch and I compare the fill cap and I think that Honda redesigned the fill cap and fill area with a much different design on the hatch
Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel overfill - Honda is aware and working on it? 20180309_151950

Hatchback fill cap

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel overfill - Honda is aware and working on it? 20180309_152838

Last edited:

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
Update: fuel still spill after the fix. This was at a Mobil gas station. Last week I filled at Arco has no spill. Maybe it is a problem with the nozzle design.

I will try costco, then shell, and last chevron to see if it is still the fuel cap or the fuel nozzle is causing fuel leak.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel overfill - Honda is aware and working on it? 20180319_124118

Last edited:

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I'm not sure what the point of that extra piece of plastic on the fuel door is for. Odd. How does that even play a part of the fueling process?

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I'm not sure what the point of that extra piece of plastic on the fuel door is for. Odd. How does that even play a part of the fueling process?
The black circular thing that is installed on the fuel door (that opens out)? I believe that is to address the issue that people were having where water pools on the fuel cap and freezes it shut. The design of the fuel door is stupid and water drips straight down onto the fuel cap. By covering the fuel cap, the water would drain around and not directly onto it.

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
The black circular thing that is installed on the fuel door (that opens out)? I believe that is to address the issue that people were having where water pools on the fuel cap and freezes it shut. The design of the fuel door is stupid and water drips straight down onto the fuel cap. By covering the fuel cap, the water would drain around and not directly onto it.

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Would love to hear more experiences after getting the TSB done. I'm planning to make an appointment this week to get this sucker fixed.

Are non 4-door owners not having this issue? I find it weird that it only says 4-door trims.
Sponsored