FK8 (LE) and FL5 together

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
As someone who initially HATED the design of the FK8 CTR (especially the rear) and never considered it as an option when it came out.......I can say that the former me was a boring square who thought growing up meant driving cars that blend in better with the NPCs.

Always stay a kid, be fun, drive unique cars, life is too short :headbang: glad I ditched my non-offensive practical German car for the silly FK8. Old me would have preferred the FL5 though......but currently I'll stick to crazy fender vents, hood scoops, wings, and all the fun that comes with it.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried to like the looks of the FL5. Really tried.
Nope, can't do it.
The rear is the best angle, and even there it is ho-hum next to the FK8. Glad I bought the car Honda made before they looked at reviews instead of sales. People vote with their wallets, so not sure what the problem was.
Glad it has more power, etc. Sad they wimped out on the exterior styling. The interior is okay.
Hey, at least they gave it the ' red carpet treatment'.
I actually even like my '18 better than the later FK8's - I don't think the horizontal pieces through the black mesh did it any favors - but even so, prefer those to the FL5 as well.
Clearly it will be a great driver's car and just as practical as the 10th gen, so it will find plenty of buyers. But for one brief shining moment, there was HondaLot Camelot.

Dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"Lets change everything cool about a unique car because several reviews couldn't handle the awesome, even though the people actually buying cars snapped them all up. The Civic and associated Type R need to go back to boring that never sold well!" "We'll also make the new Integra a giant boat and nothing like it's namesake was in the 90's and was sold right and left like hotcakes. Lets just make an Accord and call it an Integra <LOLOL> #HondaDecisionMakers

Genius.

Honestly I wish they would just have the Type R as a standalone 'swing for the fences' model and go ahead and make the regular Civic / Sport / Si - tame. Then we could have it both ways. The new Civic Type R just looks like another boring car / Stinger / Camry / whatever. That's what they were going for with it - homogeny -

I'll take full send design freedom every day and twice on Sunday. FK8 all day - best iteration of the Type R ever - shame they pussed out based on some boring losers that have a microphone.
you do realize your car is nothing like it's namesake right?
the civic type R was just another civic hatchback with a vtec engine and better susupension.
no crazy body kits or fake vents. also, it was always all motor. you're making fun of your own car.
the type R was never crazy wild, they were the same car as their econmy sharing brother with engine and suspension upgrades. you think your type R is the best, that's fine, i wouldn't even disagree wtih you. but please make sense in your opinions and role playing skits.

Did you know that the FK8 is bigger than the accord of yester years? and when did the civic type R not sell? the EK9 was a huge hit, still sought after to this day. the EP3 was a major sucess as well. the FD2 was probably one of the best selling ones ever. the only real fumbles they made were the FN2 and the FK2 which look nothing like the new FL5. not to mention they never sold any of these cars states side, so are you looking up their sales internationally?

i'm sorry brother, i don't mean to say all these things. but i just really don't like misinformation. it causes such unnecessary conflicts. someone who doesn't know much is going to read your post and actually think what you're saying is legit and he's going to spread that word creating a generation of people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. and they're going to fight and argue with people who do. all of it is really unncessary.

the only legit thing in this post is your opinion on the FL5. great, you love your car. awesome. i love mine too. you think it's the best and you shit all over the FL5 before even seeing one in real life. that's your opinion, and everyone is entitled to them no matter how stupid or jelaous they make a person look giving them.

have a good one.

Dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The FL5 looks like a regular Civic with Type R badges BUT of course your gonna have the FL5 owners justify their purchase.

i dont think anyone has to justify buying a car they want.
i would never justify buying something to you.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
you do realize your car is nothing like it's namesake right?
the civic type R was just another civic hatchback with a vtec engine and better susupension.
no crazy body kits or fake vents. also, it was always all motor.
Type Rs always had a different front lip and wing it wasn't just performance differences.

Dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's like one of those games where you have to find the 5 differences in the pictures 🤣😂
20220908_082944.jpg
hahahhaha,
i get it man... but you're really stretching here. you didn't circle the side skirt, the rear bumper, the emblem placement, the side vent, the rear vent, the diffuser, i mean, cmon man... is that not enough stuff to realize that they don't really look a like unless you can't really see or want to see something that's not really there?
i dont know man, i mean, i guess, if i close my eyes and squint real bad and forget what these cars look like in the front and maybe drink a little alcohol, i might be there. thanks for trying again tho, i really genuinely thought it was hilarious that you circeled 5 things. hahahaha.
have a good one.

Dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Type Rs always had a different front lip and wing it wasn't just performance differences.
my dude, i'm not saying it was only engine and suspension. obviously the lip and the wing are all iconic right? i didn't think i'd have to write those actual parts out. but it doesn't change the fact that your car is not namesake.

the formula for nearly ever Type R ever manufactured has been an economy platform car (minus nsx, can't really consider that a economy car) and putting in vtec all motor engine, stiffer chassis, better suspension, and FRONT LIP and WING.

your car has more than just a front lip or wing. also, although it has vtec it's not all motor. it's not high revving, and there's never really been a Type R that was considered wild in apperance. although what you pointed out in your reply was not incorrect, it didn't do anything to the point which was your car is not namesake and you shouldn't bash cars with a sentiment that will bury yourself as well. that's it bro.

have a good one.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my dude, i'm not saying it was only engine and suspension. obviously the lip and the wing are all iconic right? i didn't think i'd have to write those actual parts out. but it doesn't change the fact that your car is not namesake.

the formula for nearly ever Type R ever manufactured has been an economy platform car (minus nsx, can't really consider that a economy car) and putting in vtec all motor engine, stiffer chassis, better suspension, and FRONT LIP and WING.

your car has more than just a front lip or wing. also, although it has vtec it's not all motor. it's not high revving, and there's never really been a Type R that was considered wild in apperance. although what you pointed out in your reply was not incorrect, it didn't do anything to the point which was your car is not namesake and you shouldn't bash cars with a sentiment that will bury yourself as well. that's it bro.

have a good one.
Umm bro......speaking of misinformation, the FK2 WAS wild in appearance and was NOT an "all motor" vtec car (essentially same turbo engine as FK8) too. I don't understand the argument.....

Who in their right mind would consider this design not wild:

Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 (LE) and FL5 together FK2 CTR Car Throttle

The Type R has come a long way from the EK9, for better or for worse. In fact, for all the hate the FK8 gets, I would argue the FN2 is one of the ugliest Hondas ever made even with its Type R heritage.

But looks are subjective. There is no "namesake" for looks when it comes to a Type R anymore, just what you prefer and how it compares to recent gens. Some of us just prefer some of the more flamboyant styling decisions seen in some previous CTRs versus the subtle styling used for others.

Dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Umm bro......speaking of misinformation, the FK2 WAS wild in appearance and was NOT an "all motor" vtec car (essentially same turbo engine as FK8) too. I don't understand the argument.....

Who in their right mind would consider this design not wild:

FK2 CTR Car Throttle.jpg

The Type R has come a long way from the EK9, for better or for worse. In fact, for all the hate the FK8 gets, I would argue the FN2 is one of the ugliest Hondas ever made even with its Type R heritage.

But looks are subjective. There is no "namesake" for looks when it comes to a Type R anymore, just what you prefer and how it compares to recent gens. Some of us just prefer some of the more flamboyant styling decisions seen in some previous CTRs versus the subtle styling used for others.
Umm bro....... speaking of misinformation. i never said all of them were mild in appearnce. i mentioned in my first response to you that "MOST". I am not disagreeing with you. i always thought the FK2 and FN2 were really ugly and wild and i softly mentioned this in the first reply. i literatlly called them out. haha. and you're right, about the FK2 being turbo, but again, i said most, not all. but isn't that what makes namesake? the most, not the few?

i guess you're right saying there's no namesake for looks now, because the last few models veered away from what was "namesake" in type R variants before. and i very much agree that everyone has their own opinons on style ques.

this all just came about because i thought you were being a bit hard to the FL5 without seeing it in person and also thought you were remembering the Type R history a little different than actual. but i didn't mean any disrespect or any kind of hate. i actually had a FK8, championship white. i loved that car and i miss it everyday. i loved every crazy part about it!

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Umm bro....... speaking of misinformation. i never said all of them were mild in appearnce. i mentioned in my first response to you that "MOST". I am not disagreeing with you. i always thought the FK2 and FN2 were really ugly and wild and i softly mentioned this in the first reply. i literatlly called them out. haha. and you're right, about the FK2 being turbo, but again, i said most, not all. but isn't that what makes namesake? the most, not the few?

i guess you're right saying there's no namesake for looks now, because the last few models veered away from what was "namesake" in type R variants before. and i very much agree that everyone has their own opinons on style ques.

this all just came about because i thought you were being a bit hard to the FL5 without seeing it in person and also thought you were remembering the Type R history a little different than actual. but i didn't mean any disrespect or any kind of hate. i actually had a FK8, championship white. i loved that car and i miss it everyday. i loved every crazy part about it!
But I actually think you may be remembering Civic Type R history incorrectly. Saying "most" Type Rs were mildly styled is not true. Prior to the FL5, only the EK9, EP3, and maybe the FD2 are objectively tame in their styling. The FN2, FK2, and FK8 were all pretty out of the norm (if not outright silly) in their styling.

My point being that despite the commonly repeated talking point of previous Type Rs historically being conservative in their styling, up to half of them were actually quite silly when you look back. I just think people get mentally fixated on the EK9 and EP3 styling nostalgia, overstating how much of the Type R DNA they actually make up.

If half of previous CTRs are not conservatively styled, the FL5 maintaining a conservative design is not actually capturing some majority styling history of the Type R brand.

I actually think they did a good job on thr FL5 and it will appeal to way more people, it's just not for me. But I don't get this fixation on it being amazing because it went back to some tame roots of CTR design.....its simply not true.

Dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But I actually think you may be remembering Civic Type R history incorrectly. Saying "most" Type Rs were mildly styled is not true. Prior to the FL5, only the EK9, EP3, and maybe the FD2 are objectively tame in their styling. The FN2, FK2, and FK8 were all pretty out of the norm (if not outright silly) in their styling.

My point being that despite the commonly repeated talking point of previous Type Rs historically being conservative in their styling, up to half of them were actually quite silly when you look back. I just think people get mentally fixated on the EK9 and EP3 styling nostalgia, overstating how much of the Type R DNA they actually make up.

If half of previous CTRs are not conservatively styled, the FL5 maintaining a conservative design is not actually capturing some majority styling history of the Type R brand.

I actually think they did a good job on thr FL5 and it will appeal to way more people, it's just not for me. But I don't get this fixation on it being amazing because it went back to some tame roots of CTR design.....its simply not true.

you're right bro.
now that i think about it, half of the type R's have been pretty wild.
like you said, i guess all the old heads remember the earlier type R's.

but that's what brings me to my point. History recalls the past. And like you said,
the first 3 type R's were styled ojectively mildly. Them being the older generations,
including the original, doesn't that make them more the bar for namesake than the 3 models
that have came out more recent? you know the saying right? nothing beats the original.
I don't necessarily think that's true, but being the original and older models does have it's merit
when speaking of the history of type R.

but you have a good point, because the FL5 will be the current type R which places FN2, FK2, and FK8 in the past now. and although it's not the first few itterations, they are all still type R's and so they should somewhat carry the same weight.

i don't believe that people are saying that the FL5 is amazing because it went back to the tame roots of the CTR design. I think most people are saying the FL5 is amazing because of their expectaions about the car. breaking the record at tsubaka circuit for front wheel drive car is probably more of the amazing part of the car. I believe people think it's just an added bonus to the car that went back to more mild styling like the earlier itterations of the car.

thanks for this conversation bro. i had fun. and you made me see new perspective that i wouldn't have alone. for that, cheers!
Sponsored