FK2 Exhaust Notes

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Hey all! I know... the car isn't out but from everything I've read the motor will be based on the same FK2's design. There doesn't seem to be a lot of after market exhausts for that motor and the ones that are out imo don't sound to great. I know it's hard to judge by videos but normally you can get some idea.

Has anyone heard of any particular companies that had clean tones for the FK2 motor?
Sponsored

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Agree Boba, I've been thinking the same about this engine.

Also the one form Miltek isn't nice. But I'll think I'll stick to the original exhaust anyway. My mods on the R should be very limited because I want to keep it in mint condition.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The lack of exhaust notes has to do with the FK2R only being available to the UK and Japanese market.

With the electronically controlled exhaust valves in the 10th gen CTR, I'm going to assume it'll get pretty expensive to fabricate an aftermarket piece.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
Problem with the fk2 stock system is it lacked any depth to its tone, its one of the pet hates amongst a lot of owners. Theres a few exhausts available now at present eg remus invidia Js racing, personally I like the martellius

It'll be good to see if honda addressed the lacklustre stock system in the 10th gen

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
If I can make my target 400hp (on E85) with the stock exhaust, I'll be happy. Trying to keep it 'sleeper' but still be able to pull on the highway!

OP
OP
bobafettm

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
So far the Milltek is the closest to what I'd favor in a 4 cylinder. I normally like to run a free flow exhaust especially with a nice turbo like on the Type R!

I've grown extremely partial to my BOE ST on my 2ZZ motor. It's nice and quiet (quieter than stock) at low revs but screaming at WOT with solid 2ft flame pops when it's really being worked at the track :p

Was hoping for some nice deeper sounds like what the 2ZZ can produce and I assumed with that turbo it would be possible.

k0shi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ek
Im hoping that this torque app wont be too hard to install on the US type r
also i hope tuners will be able to add this "popcorn" effect, i think it makes the R sound so much more mean and the focus rs does it stock

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
In the 10th gen Prototype Teaser, you can hear the engine note. Sounded more like the mechanical tone of older Hondas rather then the jet-plane like sound from the FK2 at higher RPMs. Aftermarket wise, I think Armytrix has been most successful. But this is subjective, as I personally prefer higher pitch over rumble.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
That sounds pretty bad to me. The new type r will have a valve like the RS. Probably not a cheap part of the car as it adds valves and an electrical control module under the car, these often break being under the car subjected to road salt.

In the 10th gen Prototype Teaser, you can hear the engine note. Sounded more like the mechanical tone of older Hondas rather then the jet-plane like sound from the FK2 at higher RPMs. Aftermarket wise, I think Armytrix has been most successful. But this is subjective, as I personally prefer higher pitch over rumble.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The CTR already stands out as it is. The last thing I want is to be seen driving a visually loud car that sounds like a fart can too lol. I really hope they get the exhaust right, otherwise, the FK2 exhaust note (or lack of it) is just fine.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
The CTR already stands out as it is. The last thing I want is to be seen driving a visually loud car that sounds like a fart can too lol. I really hope they get the exhaust right, otherwise, the FK2 exhaust note (or lack of it) is just fine.
Agreed. I want an exhaust note, but I would like to be able to safely make a phone call on the highway once again and be able to hear the person on the call.
It's been my experience that turbo cars are quiet. My 95 1.5T was cat-less with Apexi World Sport and I'd reckon was quieter on the highway than my 09 Si cat-less with Q300.
If I did it again, I'd probably suck up the power loss and go with a race-catted header instead.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
The car will have a valve system for quiet operation and more sporty sounds when desired. My Si models did have some growl but it was the right amount for the car. My 9th gen even had a little pop when you let off if the exhaust was warm.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It just seems like it's hard for I-4 engines to make a decent exhaust note. I have yet to hear an aftermarket S2000 exhaust that I really liked, so I've been perfectly fine with the stock setup (9k rpm on the engine side is good enough lol). If it sounded like a Ferrari, that's one thing, but if they can't make it sound nice, just keeping it quiet is my preference. :)
Sponsored