First oil change questions

BWZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX, 2003 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hello! I'm back with another silly question. This forum has steered me very right in my past threads, and I love just dipping in and learning some new stuff.

I have a 2017 Civic EX Hatchback (CVT) and it's officially giving me the warning on the dash when it hit 15% oil life. I found a local place that has great reviews. My question is, has my engine always taken synthetic oil? I was under the assumption that all vehicles could be either or, but I wasn't sure how it worked. First vehicle where the oil changes are farther between. Previous car was an 01.

Another question: they'll know which kind of oil to put in, right? That's probably the dumbest question. I just would have no idea what to say other than 'whatever is in it' haha.

They have this on the pricing on their website:

Synthetic Blend Oil Change
(5W-20 through 10W-40 oil and 4×4’s) – No additional cost or Fee’s !!
$29.95
FULL Synthetic oil change (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30) – Most vehicles$59.95
European Synthetic Blend – Most Vehicles$32.95
European FULL Synthetic – Most Vehicles$84.95
Diesels: Up to 16 Qts of Delo 15-40W TURBO DIESEL OIL or FULL Synthetic$99.95 (15w-40 Delo)
$159.95 (5w-40 FULL Synthetic Delo)

Any idea which one I'll need? Any advice would be great.
Sponsored

Spartan-033

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hello! I'm back with another silly question. This forum has steered me very right in my past threads, and I love just dipping in and learning some new stuff.

I have a 2017 Civic EX Hatchback (CVT) and it's officially giving me the warning on the dash when it hit 15% oil life. I found a local place that has great reviews. My question is, has my engine always taken synthetic oil? I was under the assumption that all vehicles could be either or, but I wasn't sure how it worked. First vehicle where the oil changes are farther between. Previous car was an 01.

Another question: they'll know which kind of oil to put in, right? That's probably the dumbest question. I just would have no idea what to say other than 'whatever is in it' haha.

They have this on the pricing on their website:

Synthetic Blend Oil Change
(5W-20 through 10W-40 oil and 4×4’s) – No additional cost or Fee’s !!
$29.95
FULL Synthetic oil change (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30) – Most vehicles$59.95
European Synthetic Blend – Most Vehicles$32.95
European FULL Synthetic – Most Vehicles$84.95
Diesels: Up to 16 Qts of Delo 15-40W TURBO DIESEL OIL or FULL Synthetic$99.95 (15w-40 Delo)
$159.95 (5w-40 FULL Synthetic Delo)

Any idea which one I'll need? Any advice would be great.
If it is the same as my 2021 Civic Sport (1.5T) then it is 0W-20 oil. There is no harm with clarifying wherever you get any car work what they will do :)
I pestered the poor guy at the tire store today to make sure someone that could drive a manual would be driving my car XD

Protect that investment!

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Full synthetic, 0w 20.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it says 0w-20 on oil cap. Use Full synthetic. Honda oil they use at dealerships comes in bulk so it’s a really good price. The cost to do my own oil versus dealership is only $20 cheaper. Better deal to use dealership.

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Tbh I get my done at the dealership everytime. Saves me the hassle and if my 1yr old is with me, they do it in 15 minutes even if I’m late for appointment and surpringly a good price. 50$ and I can go bother the parts manager to haggle on prices lol

TLAPkenn

TLAP Kenn
First Name
Kenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan; 2016 Honda CR-V EX; 1999 Honda CR-V EX (240k+ miles)
Country flag
Honda specifies OW-20 for all of the Honda Civic models in North America (2.0L N/A; 1.5L Turbo; SI; and Type-R) and is clearly displayed on the oil cap. OW-20 comes in only synthetic -- there is no such thing as OW-20 in conventional.

The oil change shops should know what type of oil to put in, but usually the most "trainee" of the techs are doing the oil changes. Pair their inexperience with the demand that they complete oil changes on a large volume basis, they're bound to commit some mistakes. There are plenty of horror stories of shops not putting in any oil, stripping the drain plug, or not tightening the oil filter before the car leaves the shop. As a result, a few miles down the road, there is engine failure.

At some oil change shops, if the customer requests conventional oil, the shop will use 5W-30 conventional oil even though the car calls for OW-20. My old coworker who has a Mazda 6 (calling for OW-20) made the mistake of asking for only conventional oil at the oil shop he frequented. They didn't tell him that OW-20 doesn't come in conventional and just put 5W-30 in his car every time he visited.

If you have your own space, just do the oil changes yourself. It's very simple to do and takes me only 30 minutes including lifting the car and clean up. High quality synthetic oil (such as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Castrol Edge, or Mobil-1) can be bought for about $24 for a 5 quart jug on Amazon. Oil filters like a Purolator Boss, K&N Gold, or Bosch are about $10. These parts are definitely better than the economy/bulk stuff they offer at a quick lube shop. If you do it yourself, you're going to save yourself money, know you are using quality parts, and know that it was done right.
Sponsored

• Love
Reactions: BWZ