Finally blacked out the chrome door trim!

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't mind the nastiness on the mirror. It was my first time using Plasti Dip, but the overspray isn't anything some Goo Gone didn't handle after the photo ;) I took it to a touchless wash immediately after peeling to make sure the stuff would hold up; as you can see, it's still nice and black!

I put five coats on each side and it came out pretty nicely. Peeling off the excess was definitely not as easy as it looked in the videos, but that was probably just user error. I think I'm going to "upgrade" to vinyl wrap in the future, but this little $5 job will do the job for a bit.

The Si's a great car, but some of the design decisions are baffling. The fact that it has chrome door trim, while existing between the Sport and Type R that both have black trim, is one of those little things that shouldn't be a thing at all.

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally blacked out the chrome door trim! IMG_0100
Sponsored

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Don't mind the nastiness on the mirror. It was my first time using Plasti Dip, but the overspray isn't anything some Goo Gone didn't handle after the photo ;) I took it to a touchless wash immediately after peeling to make sure the stuff would hold up; as you can see, it's still nice and black!

I put five coats on each side and it came out pretty nicely. Peeling off the excess was definitely not as easy as it looked in the videos, but that was probably just user error. I think I'm going to "upgrade" to vinyl wrap in the future, but this little $5 job will do the job for a bit.

The Si's a great car, but some of the design decisions are baffling. The fact that it has chrome door trim, while existing between the Sport and Type R that both have black trim, is one of those little things that shouldn't be a thing at all.

IMG_0100.jpg
Damn that's really nice! You think vinyl is better than plasti dip? Seems like spray would be easier to apply than wrapping.

Stealthy86

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Only thing steering me towards a vinyl wrap is that Plastidip turns blue-gray after like a month here in illinois.

OP
OP
coopermidnight

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn that's really nice! You think vinyl is better than plasti dip? Seems like spray would be easier to apply than wrapping.
Thanks! I'm speculating, but I'd say it probably is and that the trade-off is ease of application. A wrap won't suffer from consistency problems; looking close enough at my trim will probably reveal spots with too little/too much spray. Combine that with the fact that Plasti Dip is inherently easy to remove.

Mikezero

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 SI Sedan
That looks way better! I was looking at mine today debating on how I wanted to cover mine.

OP
OP
coopermidnight

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did wrap door trim in my previous Civic. I used 3M Black Gloss Vinyl.
Very nice. Seeing those pics definitely makes me want to do vinyl later on.

The reason I went with Plasti Dip this weekend is it's a relatively easy job with no permanent repercussions from a failed attempt. Wrapping is a bit more involved, and if you get a shop to do it for you you'll probably get super duper ripped off considering how cheap it should be.

Next up are the door handles :)

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
wow, both of those look super nice with the wraps! my hats off to you both! that looks straight OEM

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I blacked out my trim along with wrapped the roof the first day I had my car. I used satin black for the trim to match the rest of the trim around the windows, and gloss black on the roof.
Honda Civic 10th gen Finally blacked out the chrome door trim! YFvJsupb8xWAj6-Rrzpna_U3upFijVC8LcpfALF_ie6mZxp9hsEsrKuOtU3edPpU5Oq11CVm6PPRLCdTqi=w1689-h950-no

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have also been bothered on the use of the chrome trim on the Si! It doesn't fit with the car at all.
Y'all are really making me want to plasti dip mine as well....

Rgonaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1995 240sx
I got a quote for $300 to wrap the trim... that was only over the phone, maybe he'll see it's less work if he sees the car in person.

Fastmodz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmodz.com
Vehicle(s)
1986 CRX

IMG_0100.jpg
For any other cosmetic needs come check us out!
Sponsored