Few questions about HID's

Which temperature 55W HID's most closely match DRL's?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 6.1%

Votes: 14 28.6%

Votes: 32 65.3%

• Total voters

d0nutrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Morimoto FTMFW! Had their kit on my 2010 Si with 5500K bulbs. Amazing output. Using their 2 Stroke LED's right now and will prob switch to the HID's when I get the retrofit done.
I am torn on the whole HID vs LED argument. Sorry, I am a bit new to this. You have the 2 Strokes and I was looking to do that upgrade. If I wanted something a little bit better than stock but not something that might require a retrofit would the LED's do the trick? Or should I just go with the HID's in the stock projectors?
Sponsored

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am torn on the whole HID vs LED argument. Sorry, I am a bit new to this. You have the 2 Strokes and I was looking to do that upgrade. If I wanted something a little bit better than stock but not something that might require a retrofit would the LED's do the trick? Or should I just go with the HID's in the stock projectors?
I have the morimoto 5500k 35W HID kit, simple plug and play and definitely better than LED's. I replaced my Hikari LEDs with HIDs and my light throws much farther and brighter. BUT only having them for less than a month so far, the 5500k 35W is still a little bit warmer in color temp compared to the DRLs. I've just stopped caring at this point, its barely noticeable and the light output is too good to pass up for matching LEDs.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want max output get the HID's and put them in your stock projectors. Everyone says they work with no problems. If you want to match DRL with pretty good output then go 2 stroke or spend max monies and get the GTR LED kit which has the highest LED output at the moment. But then you are spending way more than a HID kit. Your choice. Regardless they are all easy to install.

d0nutrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the morimoto 5500k 35W HID kit, simple plug and play and definitely better than LED's. I replaced my Hikari LEDs with HIDs and my light throws much farther and brighter. BUT only having them for less than a month so far, the 5500k 35W is still a little bit warmer in color temp compared to the DRLs. I've just stopped caring at this point, its barely noticeable and the light output is too good to pass up for matching LEDs.
Do you think the 6500k would be a closer match?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want max useable light go 5000 or 5500. Once you get above that it gets more blue and less useable. Below is more yellow like halogens. You don't go HID to match DRL.

d0nutrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want max useable light go 5000 or 5500. Once you get above that it gets more blue and less useable. Below is more yellow like halogens. You don't go HID to match DRL.
Makes sense. Yes, I agree but hey if you can match and still get the same output go for it. I appreciate the help!

cmatti2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is the CAN BUS relay and anti-flicker capacitor link necessary?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. You don't need that on our cars as the low beam doesn't act as a DRL and the CAN bus is for euro cars.

cmatti2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another question? Are there any problems with the morimoto kit and the automatic headlights? The reason I ask is a friend of mine had a different hid not on his truck and if he used the automatic function of his headlights, it would burn out something out (not sure what).

cmatti2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another question? Are there any problems with the morimoto kit and the automatic headlights? The reason I ask is a friend of mine had a different hid not on his truck and if he used the automatic function of his headlights, it would burn out something out (not sure what).

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shouldn't be, as long as the automatic setting isn't making them turn off and on a bunch in a short period of time. HID ballasts do not like that. Also you probably shouldn't flash your brights at people unless you already have the headlights on when you have a HID kit installed. This will also help burn out the ballasts.

d0nutrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Shankmeyster, First off thanks for the recommendation of the 35w 5500. They are fantastic! I do have a question. I noticed a slight flicker when I hit some bumps. Normal? I did make sure to get the 11B's.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got the kit myself as well. I would check your connections to be sure everything is seated correctly if you are seeing flickering over bumps. Did you plug the grounds into a solid point?

Divisi0n

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Grey Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
My Morimoto kit also flickers slightly when going over larger bumps but I've double checked all my connections as well. Must be just the light itself moving around?

cmatti2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Morimoto kit also flickers slightly when going over larger bumps but I've double checked all my connections as well. Must be just the light itself moving around?
I notice something very similar. It seemed that when I hit a decent size bump, the bulbs bounced a little. It was only that one bump I noticed it though.
Sponsored