Aftermarket HID questions

Zach1928

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Hi all,

I'm looking to do something with the headlamps on my EX-L for both utility and appearance. Are these OPT7's pretty good quality? I'm looking for something brighter than the OEM halogens without spending a fortune and I saw these Blitz which seem to accomplish this. And is it just as simple as plugging the bulbs into the ballast and the ballast into the primary plug or will I need a relay harness to connect to the battery? Also are the LED DRLs closer to 5000k or 6000k?

http://www.opt-7.com/blitz-bullet-hid-kit/#ProductReviews

Thanks!
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Hi all,

I'm looking to do something with the headlamps on my EX-L for both utility and appearance. Are these OPT7's pretty good quality? I'm looking for something brighter than the OEM halogens without spending a fortune and I saw these Blitz which seem to accomplish this. And is it just as simple as plugging the bulbs into the ballast and the ballast into the primary plug or will I need a relay harness to connect to the battery? Also are the LED DRLs closer to 5000k or 6000k?

http://www.opt-7.com/blitz-bullet-hid-kit/#ProductReviews

Thanks!
Nope. I Ordered and returned. Does not work with our car.
Gp Thunder KIT ($130.00

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
After market LED bulbs seem to be the next big thing. HIDs are a thing of the past.
RELIABILITY. I was never able to get more than a year out of my hid kits, it was either the bulb of the ballast, blah blah. LED bulbs last 10X longer if not more than HID.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Well there is somewhat a reason for that.

OEM HID ballasts by Philips/Denso are easily triple the price for what a full, decent quality, aftermarket KIT is.

You can get a shit HID kit for $30 off of ebay;
You can get a decent HID kit for $100 from a decent manufacturer;
You can get OEM quality HID kits for $500, while trying to make sure it's not fake, while making sure it'll fit your car blah blah.

Hence why most people get the middle option, which will fail eventually.
Honestly, with the difference in USABLE light, I'd rather go with HID and replace shit every once in a while.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well there is somewhat a reason for that.

OEM HID ballasts by Philips/Denso are easily triple the price for what a full, decent quality, aftermarket KIT is.

You can get a shit HID kit for $30 off of ebay;
You can get a decent HID kit for $100 from a decent manufacturer;
You can get OEM quality HID kits for $500, while trying to make sure it's not fake, while making sure it'll fit your car blah blah.

Hence why most people get the middle option, which will fail eventually.
Honestly, with the difference in USABLE light, I'd rather go with HID and replace shit every once in a while.
Couldn't give this post enough likes.

If you're endgame is to have blue looking headlights, then go ahead and put LED in. If you want brilliant bright output and able to see everything at night, get decent HIDs. LEDs are not even close to HID in terms of output.

cFit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L, 2015 Ford Edge Titanium, 2014 Ford Escape Titanium (Winter Car)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Couldn't give this post enough likes.

If you're endgame is to have blue looking headlights, then go ahead and put LED in. If you want brilliant bright output and able to see everything at night, get decent HIDs. LEDs are not even close to HID in terms of output.
Agreed 100% I was in the same boat, Bought a 2017 EX-L on Black Friday Sale... I had the money to buy the touring..

I chose the EX-L because I am one of the few who prefer ex-l wheels, and felt the seats in the EX-L were more comfortable to me. YES there were things on Touring I wanted but I was able to get them on my ex-l such as yes most importantly the upgraded lighting I chose the aftermarket Morimoto HID Head Lights, and matched Fog Lights, as the touring still has yellow fogs. I also selected an 12" Alpine Type-R Subwoofer for the trunk, instead of the touring sub solution.

Specifically the lighting, If you comb through the forums many users post rave reviews of this kit.
My Retrofitsource kit arrived this week and YES it is truly a quick easy job, looks super professional, as showcased their carbon fiber mounts.
I also ordered there bright LED backup lights

Buy this KIT

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/a...quipped)&preselect=47309&preselect_restrict=1
35w / h11b 5500k / Wire Harness HD Relay

Once complete all my warning lights :what: stayed on in the car, another forum member mentioned disconnected negative battery for 1 min. I did this reconnected it, drove car for 1 minute, and EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!!! LOVE THE NEW LOOK.

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket HID questions MorimotoH8

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You had me excited when you said "Retrofitsource kit". I thought you were going to have a projector retrofit. I'm hoping to finish mine over my Christmas break.

Do you have HID in your fog lamps? How is the light output? Any shadows/hotspots? I'd love to put 3000k HID in them if they project correctly.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
RELIABILITY. I was never able to get more than a year out of my hid kits, it was either the bulb of the ballast, blah blah. LED bulbs last 10X longer if not more than HID.
It sounds like you are buying crappy HID kits. Crappy LED kits won't last very long, either.

CosmicSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Course, the Morimoto HIDs are only $30 more but doing the install intimidates me - could have a pro do it I guess.

Roonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L
Agreed 100% I was in the same boat, Bought a 2017 EX-L on Black Friday Sale... I had the money to buy the touring..

I chose the EX-L because I am one of the few who prefer ex-l wheels, and felt the seats in the EX-L were more comfortable to me. YES there were things on Touring I wanted but I was able to get them on my ex-l such as yes most importantly the upgraded lighting I chose the aftermarket Morimoto HID Head Lights, and matched Fog Lights, as the touring still has yellow fogs. I also selected an 12" Alpine Type-R Subwoofer for the trunk, instead of the touring sub solution.

Specifically the lighting, If you comb through the forums many users post rave reviews of this kit.
My Retrofitsource kit arrived this week and YES it is truly a quick easy job, looks super professional, as showcased their carbon fiber mounts.
I also ordered there bright LED backup lights

Buy this KIT

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/all-products/h8-morimoto-elite.html?carDisplay=2016+Honda+Civic+Sedan+(LED+Equipped)&preselect=47309&preselect_restrict=1
35w / h11b 5500k / Wire Harness HD Relay

Once complete all my warning lights :what: stayed on in the car, another forum member mentioned disconnected negative battery for 1 min. I did this reconnected it, drove car for 1 minute, and EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!!! LOVE THE NEW LOOK.

MorimotoH8.jpg
I have this exact kit and I love it! What foglights did you go with? Did you replace the hi beams as well?

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yup. i also had the same results with my last civic. i was changing out the ballast from about a year to a year and a half. i ended reverting back to my stock halogens after i paid off the car.
for this civic i may go with the LED route this time