Exhaust Silencer: Invidia N1 Exhaust System

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
Installed the Invidia N1 Exhaust system on my 2016 Civic 2.0 LX MT and have the silencer in the exhaust. It is making a lot of rattling noises when I first accelerate or decrease speeds when < 15mph. Does anyone have any advice or solutions on how to get rid of that rattling / farting noise? I'm hearing that the rattling noise is natural... It just seems very ironic to me that the silencer ends up making more annoying noises than without the silencer.. but I want to leave the silencer in because the roar of exhaust sounds perfect with the silencer in there.

I have checked multiple times to make sure that the silencer is installed properly and there are no loose screw. Is there another silencer out there in the market that is better? Can I add another screw to make the silencer more secure?

Honda Civic 10th gen Exhaust Silencer: Invidia N1 Exhaust System IMG_1414.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Exhaust Silencer: Invidia N1 Exhaust System IMG_1416.JPG

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You are basically restricting a higher flowing exhaust. I don't see the point, other than avoiding a costly fix-it ticket since you live in Commie-fornia. You basically would be better off removing and selling this exhaust and going back to stock IMO.

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
You are basically restricting a higher flowing exhaust. I don't see the point, other than avoiding a costly fix-it ticket since you live in Commie-fornia. You basically would be better off removing and selling this exhaust and going back to stock IMO.
Why would going back to stock help or be better?...

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You basically look to be running stock output with that silencer, plus the fact if you get pulled over in Cali you will be told to pull that exhaust off or get a ticket correct? Hell, with horror stories I hear from around LA, people will get pulled over if cops even see an aftermarket part or lowered suspension to see what they can ticket you for on aftermarket parts. I watched people from AZ get ticketed for no front plate before when AZ doesn't have front plates. Also, most threads on here are saying that, unless you have front pipe, down pipe, exhaust and tune, you are not really getting any benefit except a different sound. Just saying, but in the end it is up to you.

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
You basically look to be running stock output with that silencer, plus the fact if you get pulled over in Cali you will be told to pull that exhaust off or get a ticket correct? Hell, with horror stories I hear from around LA, people will get pulled over if cops even see an aftermarket part or lowered suspension to see what they can ticket you for on aftermarket parts. I watched people from AZ get ticketed for no front plate before when AZ doesn't have front plates. Also, most threads on here are saying that, unless you have front pipe, down pipe, exhaust and tune, you are not really getting any benefit except a different sound. Just saying, but in the end it is up to you.
Got it, thanks. I have CAI, tune, and the full cat-back exhaust system from Invidia. Definitely enjoy the added performance, sound, and look (even with the silencer in there). Didn't think the silencer would affect the output/performance that much! I feel like having the exhaust with a silencer is still better than stock.

Also I have not heard any rules about California not allowing aftermarket parts. Haven't had a problem yet and there are PLENTY of cars out there with much more aftermarket parts than mine! Appreciate your response and feedback though!

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Installed the Invidia N1 Exhaust system on my 2016 Civic 2.0 LX MT and have the silencer in the exhaust. It is making a lot of rattling noises when I first accelerate or decrease speeds when < 15mph. Does anyone have any advice or solutions on how to get rid of that rattling / farting noise? I'm hearing that the rattling noise is natural... It just seems very ironic to me that the silencer ends up making more annoying noises than without the silencer.. but I want to leave the silencer in because the roar of exhaust sounds perfect with the silencer in there.

I have checked multiple times to make sure that the silencer is installed properly and there are no loose screw. Is there another silencer out there in the market that is better? Can I add another screw to make the silencer more secure?

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG
@cheng115
Got it, thanks. I have CAI, tune, and the full cat-back exhaust system from Invidia. Definitely enjoy the added performance, sound, and look (even with the silencer in there). Didn't think the silencer would affect the output/performance that much! I feel like having the exhaust with a silencer is still better than stock.

Also I have not heard any rules about California not allowing aftermarket parts. Haven't had a problem yet and there are PLENTY of cars out there with much more aftermarket parts than mine! Appreciate your response and feedback though!
@cheng115 I've been pulled over a couple times for unrelated reasons but police have never given me a hard time because of my exhaust, then again my exhaust is tucked under my cars belly and doesn't have a can hanging out the back. On the other hand my buddy has been pulled over and ticketed multiple times with a stock exhaust because I guess the cobalt SS's have loud factory exhausts and he's always ripping around town. It's always funny when he has to prove that it's the stock exhaust.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I don't think it's fully about aftermarket parts, but you know how Cali is. They don't like anything on a car that isn't CARB certified. Here's the exhaust law that I was talking about. http://www.californiacarlaws.com/exhaust-noise/

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

You are putting in a reverse funnel which is what the silencer is and attempting to suppress the noise. There's also a lot of vibration so you are going to get rattling. The only way I can see the rattling being completely removed is if you paid a shop to weld the silencer permanently to the exhaust, which actually may not be a bad idea. They could probably put a weld bead and fill out where the bolt is.

I don't currently have the exhaust you do, but I did have one similar in set up. Assuming you like how your exhaust is currently, I'd suggest using Locktite or some other bonding agent for your bolt. My car eventually the bolt worked loose and fell off along with the silencer and the car became too loud. There's a lot of vibration esp at the end of the exhaust, and if you lose the bolt, silencer or both you will have a very hard time replacing it exactly as fit, so I'd find a way to secure it better rather than just tightening it.

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
You are putting in a reverse funnel which is what the silencer is and attempting to suppress the noise. There's also a lot of vibration so you are going to get rattling. The only way I can see the rattling being completely removed is if you paid a shop to weld the silencer permanently to the exhaust, which actually may not be a bad idea. They could probably put a weld bead and fill out where the bolt is.

I don't currently have the exhaust you do, but I did have one similar in set up. Assuming you like how your exhaust is currently, I'd suggest using Locktite or some other bonding agent for your bolt. My car eventually the bolt worked loose and fell off along with the silencer and the car became too loud. There's a lot of vibration esp at the end of the exhaust, and if you lose the bolt, silencer or both you will have a very hard time replacing it exactly as fit, so I'd find a way to secure it better rather than just tightening it.
Interesting thought with seeing if you can weld the silencer into the exhaust! Thanks for the insight.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Interesting thought with seeing if you can weld the silencer into the exhaust! Thanks for the insight.
I think sound-wise without it, it's pretty loud so myself on that type of exhaust I always kept it on. If look at getting it welded, make sure the place knows your metal is STAINLESS STEEL, and ask if they can weld stainless, not steel which is what most generally do. You'd need to make sure you get the right metal being welded plus it will look more seamless without the bolt. Unless that bolt eventually rusts in, you have a potential for it to come loose while your driving and lose it (probably on the 405 LOL). I'd put loctite in the meantime.

I don't know any places here in SoCal, but the member here johnnys_honda looks like he does a lot of custom work on his car and is also in SoCal he might know someone.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/jonnys-honda-build-thread.10144/

You don't need the entire thing completely welded around unless you really wanted to. Two weld beads on the inner lip is more than enough.

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
I don't think it's fully about aftermarket parts, but you know how Cali is. They don't like anything on a car that isn't CARB certified. Here's the exhaust law that I was talking about. http://www.californiacarlaws.com/exhaust-noise/
Yeah tinted windows in the front windows are illegal too. But no cop is going to pull you over just for having those unless you are caught speeding
I think sound-wise without it, it's pretty loud so myself on that type of exhaust I always kept it on. If look at getting it welded, make sure the place knows your metal is STAINLESS STEEL, and ask if they can weld stainless, not steel which is what most generally do. You'd need to make sure you get the right metal being welded plus it will look more seamless without the bolt. Unless that bolt eventually rusts in, you have a potential for it to come loose while your driving and lose it (probably on the 405 LOL). I'd put loctite in the meantime.

I don't know any places here in SoCal, but the member here johnnys_honda looks like he does a lot of custom work on his car and is also in SoCal he might know someone.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/jonnys-honda-build-thread.10144/

You don't need the entire thing completely welded around unless you really wanted to. Two weld beads on the inner lip is more than enough.
Sweet! Gotcha, will probably end up contacting Johnnys_honda. His cars look amazing. I wonder if anyone has every tried welding a silencer into their exhaust before... Sounds like quite the experiment!

OP
OP
cheng115

cheng115

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX MT
What do you guys think about:
a) drilling in another bolt between the silencer and exhaust. Probably would drill another bolt in on top since there is one on the bottom already.
b) Buying some mounting tape (heat resistant) and trying to tape it down to the exhaust. Or buying double sided mounting tape and slide it in between the silencer and exhaust so that there would be no room for the silencer to wiggle/rattle.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you guys think about:
a) drilling in another bolt between the silencer and exhaust. Probably would drill another bolt in on top since there is one on the bottom already.
b) Buying some mounting tape (heat resistant) and trying to tape it down to the exhaust. Or buying double sided mounting tape and slide it in between the silencer and exhaust so that there would be no room for the silencer to wiggle/rattle.
@cheng115 First off I would absolutely not put any tape near that thing because it is going to get hot! Hot enough to melt your bumper if it was touching it. Secondly unless the screws are securing the silencer to the muffler then it will still be able to wiggle and rattle around when you drive.

I would go with the welding it to the muffler of you really have to have the silencer in it and if you don't plan on ever taking it out because that might be a PITA to get out and might ruiin the look of it trying to get it out after welding it.
Sponsored