Does Carplay in the Civic just suck? Worth replacing?

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Its an iPhone 8+ w/ iOS 13.3.
Reset your phone once every few days. I drive uber eats and run youtube in the background and anytime I pause the video and unplug my iphone 8. youtube would crash when its paused in the background. Apple carplay also runs slow when you don't reset your phone over a few weeks. Resets fixes all my issues. So there might be a ram garbage collection issue wtih the iphone 8. I now reset my phone before I start my workday so my phone doesn't run into memory management issues

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Reset your phone once every few days. I drive uber eats and run youtube in the background and anytime I pause the video and unplug my iphone 8. youtube would crash when its paused in the background. Apple carplay also runs slow when you don't reset your phone over a few weeks. Resets fixes all my issues. So there might be a ram garbage collection issue wtih the iphone 8. I now reset my phone before I start my workday so my phone doesn't run into memory management issues
Thanks, does it need to be the hard reset procedure or just power it off and back on? Not sure there's a difference.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, just want to help out. I have a 2020 also and had a crappy experience with CarPlay. I found a handful of 2020 owners seem to have issues with CarPlay integration on there new cars. I'm thinking a batch of head units was not properly setup from the factory. I put together a video on simply how to reboot and even reset your head unit from factory. Also I think its important to punch in your headunit code if it asks after a hard reset. It will take away your current settings but this stabilize my CarPlay. Check out my other videos also for tips on Honda Hack, Wireless Carplay, etc...

XLR8TOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T coupe, '00 Trans Am 'vert, '98 Dakota R/T
Country flag
Hey guys, just want to help out. I have a 2020 also and had a crappy experience with CarPlay. I found a handful of 2020 owners seem to have issues with CarPlay integration on there new cars. I'm thinking a batch of head units was not properly setup from the factory. I put together a video on simply how to reboot and even reset your head unit from factory. Also I think its important to punch in your headunit code if it asks after a hard reset. It will take away your current settings but this stabilize my CarPlay. Check out my other videos also for tips on Honda Hack, Wireless Carplay, etc...
Nice video!

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have an iPhone Xs and since the day I got the car-over various iOS versions, Carplay hangs the entire radio-it's random and sometimes i'll have to wait for a long redlight and turn the car off and on again before it straightens itself out. Other times I just unplug the phone and do a running reboot. Hmmm, running iOS on top of Android, bitter rivals, what could go wrong? I then bought an iPhone 6 to leave in the car for music only. I put latest OS on it and it also hangs constantly. All I do is listen to music. This radio is slow and the SOC barely gets the job done, jusssssttt enough to avoid lemon complaints.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I have an iPhone Xs and since the day I got the car-over various iOS versions, Carplay hangs the entire radio-it's random and sometimes i'll have to wait for a long redlight and turn the car off and on again before it straightens itself out. Other times I just unplug the phone and do a running reboot. Hmmm, running iOS on top of Android, bitter rivals, what could go wrong? I then bought an iPhone 6 to leave in the car for music only. I put latest OS on it and it also hangs constantly. All I do is listen to music. This radio is slow and the SOC barely gets the job done, jusssssttt enough to avoid lemon complaints.
Sadly nearly all Apple CarPlay compatible units is built on Android. But the main fault of this is really Honda. The os on the head unit is Android 4. That os came out 2012-2013. Idk why they used such an old os in 2016-2017 when Android 7 was out at the time.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Sadly nearly all Apple CarPlay compatible units is built on Android. But the main fault of this is really Honda. The os on the head unit is Android 4. That os came out 2012-2013. Idk why they used such an old os in 2016-2017 when Android 7 was out at the time.
Because cheap I guess.....

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Cause DOS wasn't available?

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Because cheap I guess.....
With the hardware and software Honda put in the radio, my best guess how much honda pays the BoM for the head unit would be $50-100 possibly with the software written by 1 person that is forced to add carplay to use it's existing surplus 9th gen head units honda couldn't get rid of

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
With the hardware and software Honda put in the radio, my best guess how much honda pays the BoM for the head unit would be $50-100 possibly with the software written by 1 person that is forced to add carplay to use it's existing surplus 9th gen head units honda couldn't get rid of
Yeah and I bet it's the slowest cheapest SOC that will do the job. Probably an old MediaTek that barely runs the Navi AND the rest of the radio...I bet you they aren't even leveraging the GPU in the thing.

mbpbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L Hatch
Country flag
What is this wireless dongle you speak of?
Sponsored