Dealership didn't tighten my oil plug correctly!!!!

Is my engine dead?

• Total voters

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex 2012 Odyssey Lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went and had a oil change at my local dealership less than 3 weeks ago. On saturday I felt my car have less power and overall struggle a bit more in normal driving conditions as I pulled in to my driveway my oil pressure light turned on. When I got out I see a huge puddle of oil under my car. I call the dealership they said to tow it over for them to look at. Once towed over the dealership tech tries to start the car to drive it into the bay. The car's engine makes an awful grinding/ knocking noise before turning off. The tech tried turning it on but nothing happens. The tech then radios for someone to bring in some engine oil, as they put it in the oil it spill all over their floor. They finally push it in to the bay, they remove the cover and see that the oil plug is not there. They admitted that their last tech probably forgot to tighten it to spec and with the vibration and oil heating up it must have fallen out. Going over today to see what they are going to say.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealership didn't tighten my oil plug correctly!!!! 20180217_125708

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealership didn't tighten my oil plug correctly!!!! 20180217_151910

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealership didn't tighten my oil plug correctly!!!! 20180217_163337_HDR

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealership didn't tighten my oil plug correctly!!!! 20180217_141628

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would fight long and hard before I accepted that car back with that motor in it. Even if they add oil back and it "seems" ok, there is zero chance that internal damage was not done if you heard the internals grinding. I can't believe they tried to start it back up once it arrived there. Possibly a communication issue. Not good at all.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
If it's not dead, it probably will be sooner than later. The dummy tech that tried to drive it after it came off the tow truck before putting oil in was probably the nail in the coffin. Sorry to hear this happened to you, it's like that saying "you had one job!!!!!" and at the lowest level of car maintenance they still failed.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Once towed over the dealership tech tries to start the car to drive it into the bay. The car's engine makes an awful grinding/ knocking noise before turning off. The tech tried turning it on but nothing happens. The tech then radios for someone to bring in some engine oil, as they put it in the oil it spill all over their floor. They finally push it in to the bay, they remove the cover and see that the oil plug is not there. They admitted that their last tech probably forgot to tighten it to spec and with the vibration and oil heating up it must have fallen out. Going over today to see what they are going to say.
I can't believe they would start the car and drive it in the bay. Dealership mechanics are so incompetent.

Even if they put in oil and the engine was fine, like 360glitch said, I would fight very hard to not take the old engine back cause who knows what kind of an effect it had long term.

OP
OP
hondafan

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am definitely not taking this car back without a serious discussion with the dealership this level of incompetence is unacceptable. There's a reason why I payed for their overpriced services.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your bearings are wiped. Without oil flow, and multiple starts, there would have been no oil wedge left... not to mention heating issues from a lack of lubrication. You could have issues with your rings... chamber walls... the works.

It engine needs to be disassembled and inspected with the rings/pistons/cylinders and all bearings inspected.

They did you a favor by starting to drive it into a bay when the car there when you brought in had a known issue with oil pressure. As far as I'm concerned, disregarding *everything* else (ie, the poor maintenance practices that got you here in the first place)... that in itself damaged the engine... and they did it. They fired up an engine with known low oil pressure.

They should save the time of doing major inspections and rebuilt and just do an engine swap right off the bat.

*Do* *not* accept the car back with them adding oil and giving you an 'I'm sorry'. That engine will never be the same again. Grinding/knocking...? Your bearings were eating themselves.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got a text saying my car is ready to be picked up low and behold they just did an oil change and added a new plug. Like hell am I going to accept it.
Don't do it. They don't owe you $40 in oil. They owe you $4k in engine. Between it was caused by them... the loss of power... grinding and knocking... then them *restarting* it rather than push it in a bay... it's damaged goods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hondafan

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't don't. They don't owe you $40 in oil. They owe you $4k in engine. Between it was caused by them... the loss of power... grinding and knocking... then them *restarting* it rather than push it in a bay... it's damaged goods.
It's most definitely not going to stay like this. Look at what they sent me and want me to sign electronically before even seeing the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealership didn't tighten my oil plug correctly!!!! Bs.JPG

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
I feel for you on the fight to come. I'd be contacting the service manager, dealer owner and Honda of America immediately.

OP
OP
hondafan

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got off the phone with Honda of America and filed a formal complaint of the events so far. They stated to go to the dealership and see what they have to say and follow up with them after to see if the matter has been resolved or if this needs to be escalated to higher level.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It may be a tough fight... but you've got this. Given what has happened and the sounds that were made, the low oil pressure, the repeated starts... I see no way that they can get out of this one...

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealership didn't tighten my oil plug correctly!!!! tenor (2)

OP
OP
hondafan

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It may be a tough fight... but you've got this. Given what has happened and the sounds that were made, the low oil pressure, the repeated starts... I see no way that they can get out of this one...

tenor (2).gif
Definitely thanks for your support! I'm going to the delaship later today and see where this goes. If nothing is resolved then I'll see what Corporate, the department of business oversight, district attorney DMV and my lawyer think of this.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are ways to quantify the amount of damage that has occurred. That involves a complete tear down and a series of measurements taken. This would be a very labor intensive and expensive undertaking. Running the car on new oil and looking at UOAs quantifies nothing with regard to actual damage. Them offering an extended warranty far beyond 60k/5 years might be on the table... but how long and how much mileage? Lifetime? Is it limited to the dealer that has already shown to have bad workmanship? If your cylinders are scored and pistons rings shot... are they going to rebuild when you're low out of spec on compression? Are they going to pay for regular compression checks over the rest if the life of the car?

Whatever is done... it should never cost you a dime and they should always be doing far more than normal for this engine... and right off the bat, a major teardown and inspection is warranted if they want to weasel out of a complete rebuild/replacement.