Oil change at honda dealership?

fre3way

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Country flag
I'm due for an oil change on my civic ex-t. I was looking at prices online and Honda Dealership is offering 0W20 extra oil change with filter for 34.99 + tax. Is this any different from the 19.99 special at firestone for regular conventional oil change? Is it necessary to get a tire rotation at 5k miles; if not, when should I get it done?
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm due for an oil change on my civic ex-t. I was looking at prices online and Honda Dealership is offering 0W20 extra oil change with filter for 34.99 + tax. Is this any different from the 19.99 special at firestone for regular conventional oil change? Is it necessary to get a tire rotation at 5k miles; if not, when should I get it done?
Usually,places do charge more for a full synthetic change,and they usually state that on the ad or coupon.
One thing I can say,and I'm sure people will agree,if you do let the dealer do this oil change,make sure you check the level and look underneath to make sure they put the metal sheild back on with all the right screws before you leave. I'm speaking from experience and from other posts I've read on here.
As for the tire rotation,they say to go by the mm. Mine went off at just under ten thousand when my second oil change was due. Not sure what they want to charge you,but it was 19.95 at my dealer and I've seen it even lower at other places.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Is it necessary to get a tire rotation at 5k miles; if not, when should I get it done?
The best thing about doing tire rotations is getting eyeballs on the tires and inspecting them.

But, IMO, that's the only good thing. If you can do it yourself, though, it's not needed.

You'll also (and here's more opinion) only kick the can down the road until you need to replace all four tires at once. If you rotate diligently and make sure they all wear evenly, then at some point, they're all gonna be equally bald.

The alternative is to just keep them in the same locations -- front tires stay in front -- until one pair wears down enough to get replaced (which, in our case, would be the front tires since they work so much harder). Then you buy the new pair, put them on the back, and move the older tires to the front. Yes, really -- having better grip in the rear will balance the car towards understeer, which is better for emergency situations in street driving (going a little wide is easier to manage than spinning in circles). And besides, the tires that had been living in the back aren't going to be worn down much anyway.

CAVEAT: My recommendation also implies that the alignment is good and does not create excessive tire wear -- stock camber and toe (or close to it), no pulling to the side on straight roads. When you mess with alignment specs, the expected tread life goes out the window, which is why alignment shops won't guarantee their tires if you ask for crazy settings.

BONUS: On race days, for added oversteer, you can put the older tires on the rear and newer tires up front. ;)

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tire rotation, I always do once a year on all my cars since 30 years when I put winter tires or summer tires. Tires have same thread depth . 10,000 miles
Doing more often and pay the dealer for that is loosing your money.

My dealer use Honda Synthetic oil , Firestone sur is not.

ac143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan (manual)
Country flag
Your car needs 0w20, as indicated on the oil cap. That oil seems to only come in synthetic. Firestone is probably offering 5w20 conventional. Conventional oil genrally needs more frequent changes compared to synthetic.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your car needs 0w20, as indicated on the oil cap. That oil seems to only come in synthetic. Firestone is probably offering 5w20 conventional. Conventional oil genrally needs more frequent changes compared to synthetic.
I won't use 5W20 if Honda say 0w20

Not sure synthetic oil last longer. Synthetic oil come dirty like regular oil and need to be replace.
I use synthetic since 20 years

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...ast-longer-than-conventional/article11169621/