Daily Driver

xA_Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack, 2017 Civic EX-T
Thanks. Would you say go with VIPER or go with Honda installing an OEM one? I heard Viper is really good
If your car is a manual transmission Honda wouldnt install theirs since they have no remote start for manual transmissions. But if you already have a CVT with no remote start already I'd say just get Viper since you can get so many features Honda doesn't offer. But if you're in the process of ordering a car you don't have yet might aswell get it with Honda's remote start. Hope that made sense
Sponsored

ahsanmahmood89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI and Accord Coupe
Country flag
If your car is a manual transmission Honda wouldnt install theirs since they have no remote start for manual transmissions. But if you already have a CVT with no remote start already I'd say just get Viper since you can get so many features Honda doesn't offer. But if you're in the process of ordering a car you don't have yet might aswell get it with Honda's remote start. Hope that made sense
lol makes sense. However, I put a deposit down on a Type R so guess Honda OEM is out of the question

xA_Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol makes sense. However, I put a deposit down on a Type R so guess Honda OEM is out of the question
Look up Viper's Smart Start. You're getting a 35k+ car so make sure you get the best possible remote start. A bonus with smart start also security system with GPS location.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Salt takes years to really cause issues. By then the third owner will be posting about it
My 2016 Jeep Wrangler has issues that stemmed from salt, and it has only seen 2 winters.

That said, my dirty diesel Jetta that has been turned in had 0 issues with salt after 3 seasons, and my current 8th gen also appears to be very clean underneath and has lived life in salted road areas.

I will do everything possible to not drive the R in the salt.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

xA_Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they can clean out a Mugen Si on a dealer lot then they can certainly clean out a CTR on a street corner or parking lot if they really want to. Resale on the parts is probably going to be a booming black market, the same as it was on the 8th and 6th gens.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/15/2008-mugen-edition-honda-civic-si-vandalized-on-dealer-lot/
Honda Civic 10th gen Daily Driver mugen_civic_450
You have a point but if anybody is scared to own a Type R or keep it parked outside their homes in fear of theft, they shouldn't own a car at all for that same fear

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Exactly. I'm just pointing out that, for a while, this is going to be a highly sought after vehicle for thieves and, if you're going to daily it, be prepared to come out to it on blocks.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Exactly. I'm just pointing out that, for a while, this is going to be a highly sought after vehicle for thieves and, if you're going to daily it, be prepared to come out to it on blocks.
Paid parking lot is your friend~

Kullervo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Civic Si
Country flag
No because the type r is manual and needs a clutch bypass for remote start so honda doesnt offer it. But many people with manual cars get remote starts and get a clutch bypass to start the car done. So my suggestion was if you're already spending money on a remote start might aswell get Viper and have all their security features aswell
The Si announcement touted remote start.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
The Type R wheels will be worthless for most people, 5x120 does not fit any Civic ever made and will definitely be a deterrent, maybe not all thefts, but it'll definitely save many cars from losing their wheels. Put that together with the tire size 245/30/20 and it slims it even more.

OP
OP
Judd

Judd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Coupe, Type R
My 2016 Jeep Wrangler has issues that stemmed from salt, and it has only seen 2 winters.

That said, my dirty diesel Jetta that has been turned in had 0 issues with salt after 3 seasons, and my current 8th gen also appears to be very clean underneath and has lived life in salted road areas.

I will do everything possible to not drive the R in the salt.
A Jeep with salt issues after 2 winters? Wow. I will also do everything not to drive the R in the salt, I plan to not drive it at all probably from November-ish to April (as long as I decide to pick up a winter car). It will be hard not to drive it and look at it sitting in the garage though. :(

xA_Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Si announcement touted remote start.
Even if the type r came with remote start I would probably still get Viper just to be able to have GPS on my car and control it "virtually anywhere" as they say

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Paid parking lot is your friend~
A worthy investment. Preferable to be a covered parking. From own/close circle experience. It def helps preserving a car keeping it away from elements (sun, frost, temp extremes, temp variations, humidity). Exposed to those everything decays - metals corrode, plastics change color and shape starting to squeak, fabrics degrade also, rubber components...
About driving it in the winter I think that it defies it's purpose to go very slow cautiously, ending up driving around like in any other car. One more reason to keep it away.
For security I plan to invert some of the OBD wiring so good luck to those ...ards trying to figure it out.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
The Type R wheels will be worthless for most people, 5x120 does not fit any Civic ever made and will definitely be a deterrent, maybe not all thefts, but it'll definitely save many cars from losing their wheels. Put that together with the tire size 245/30/20 and it slims it even more.
The old ITR's were 5 lug vs 4 lug and people still stole them! I'm sure someone will machine or sell new hubs.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
The old ITR's were 5 lug vs 4 lug and people still stole them! I'm sure someone will machine or sell new hubs.
They also stole the entire car, hubs suspension and all. Not to mention it was a 15" wheel compared to standard 14" and 13" of the time. IMHO, not the same thing by any stretch.

EDIT: A perfect example is not hearing U.K. 9th gen Type R Cars getting stolen or losing their wheels. However, they do get vandalized.
Sponsored

Last edited: