trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
Anyone still looking for Bridgestone Potenza RE71R's? SimpleTire still has the 255/35-19 available. I don't need tires yet, but I've got a set coming tomorrow for later in the season. Not on clearance though!

RE71R 255's

mwood

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic Type R 66 Sunbeam Tiger 88 Saab 900 Turbo
Country flag
Looks like the info I had received about Bridgestone continuing to ship RE71's may have been wrong, as everyone seems to be scrambling to find them and TR is sold out.
Wonder how soon until the SEB makes them ineligible. The rules are purposely vague. But, if they really continue to be "the" tire, that will force a response, typically.

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks like the info I had received about Bridgestone continuing to ship RE71's may have been wrong, as everyone seems to be scrambling to find them and TR is sold out.
Wonder how soon until the SEB makes them ineligible. The rules are purposely vague. But, if they really continue to be "the" tire, that will force a response, typically.
Not too worried about them being ineligible. 2021 SCCA Solo II Rules Part 13.3.B.5 states " A tire model which was previously allowed by these rules continues to be eligible for competition until specifically disallowed. '

Don't see any reason that would happen as many drivers will still be running these. Rumor is there is a new tire, RE71RS, but no word on when it will be available in the US.

RE71RS Specs Sheet

Banannie

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 S2K CR delete
Country flag
There are autocrossers who work for Bridgestone that have said the RS isn't coming to the states, and even if it did, it's slower... (more track-life focused)

StevenMatchett

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not too worried about them being ineligible. 2021 SCCA Solo II Rules Part 13.3.B.5 states " A tire model which was previously allowed by these rules continues to be eligible for competition until specifically disallowed. '

Don't see any reason that would happen as many drivers will still be running these. Rumor is there is a new tire, RE71RS, but no word on when it will be available in the US.

RE71RS Specs Sheet
If you read 13.3.B.2 they state they can put a tire on the exclusion list for shortages. No way the tire is still legal come nats in September

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've have seen tires added to exclusion lists when there are not enough tire sizes at introduction or beginning of the season. Once a tire is discontinued, the SEB allows the market to run its course. In this scenario, other manufacturers have introduced faster tires and the discontinued tires will just age out. RE71R's will unlikely be excluded, but may not be the 'fast' go to tire by Nationals.

These rules were implemented after the tire wars of the late 80's and early 90's when BFG and Yokohama would introduce several new compounds at every Divisional (now called 'Tour') and Pro Solo event. It was hit or miss for drivers, but the manufacturers used real data to hone in on the fastest tire compound for the Nationals. It was a crazy time!

Last edited:

mwood

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic Type R 66 Sunbeam Tiger 88 Saab 900 Turbo
Country flag
I've have seen tires added to exclusion lists when there are not enough tire sizes at introduction or beginning of the season. Once a tire is discontinued, the SEB allows the market to run its course. In this scenario, other manufacturers have introduced faster tires and the discontinued tires will just age out. RE71R's will unlikely be excluded, but may not be the 'fast' go to tire by Nationals.

These rules were implemented after the tire wars of the late 80's and early 90's when BFG and Yokohama would introduce several new compounds at every Divisional (now called 'Tour') and Pro Solo event. It was hit or miss for drivers, but the manufacturers used real data to hone in on the fastest tire compound for the Nationals. It was a crazy time!
There are many examples (most notably the W710) where the SEB steps in subjectively. In this instance, they again are making a decision on the fly, basically saying the tire will be fine all year, including Nats. Maybe they know more about supply, going forward, than the rest of us. Or maybe summer comes along and they exclude the RE71r at that point...

In any case, Chris Harvey at Tire Rack tells me they'll have more in a few days. :)

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
If anyone is ok with the old 2018 manufacture date on the RE's Tire Rack has some 265/35/19's in at 131 each.

You have to reach out to them directly, as they are not yet listed on the website.

Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing 1612808953013

Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing 1612809060700

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If anyone is ok with the old 2018 manufacture date on the RE's Tire Rack has some 265/35/19's in at 131 each.

You have to reach out to them directly, as they are not yet listed on the website.
thanks!

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
They have 2018 in other sizes listed. Of course 255/35's are still basically full (winter) priced.

Honda Civic 10th gen D-Street Type R AutoX info sharing 1612814967616

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
They have 2018 in other sizes listed. Of course 255/35's are still basically full (winter) priced.

1612814967616.png
Yeah, I expect them to add the 265's to that listing soon, but if you're impatient like I am... ?