baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So question about fuel level, I haven't ran the car low on course yet(granted I've also done 4 autoX total with the car). How long have people run the car without running into fuel starve? GTI have no issue running the well past the point the light comes on and never really have had fuel starve on course. Older Honda you probably shouldn't be running much lower past half tank. What about a new Honda?
I've only filled up immediately twice after fuel issues, and there was 10l and 12l left, respectively. (Tank capacity is 47l) So that's about a 1/4 tank. However, that was on course, not at autox.
Sponsored

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So question about fuel level, I haven't ran the car low on course yet(granted I've also done 4 autoX total with the car). How long have people run the car without running into fuel starve? GTI have no issue running the well past the point the light comes on and never really have had fuel starve on course. Older Honda you probably shouldn't be running much lower past half tank. What about a new Honda?
lowest i have gone without fuel starving is 3/8 tank, however @RedFK8 in DSP trim recommends no less than 1/2 tank.

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR 01-1294, 07 Elise, 15 Fiesta ST, Formerly CTR
Country flag
I’ve done a 1/8 tank with no problems on asphalt. I’ve heard others with issues around 1/4 tank so YMMV

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
lowest i have gone without fuel starving is 3/8 tank, however @RedFK8 in DSP trim recommends no less than 1/2 tank.
Lol I’ve had “low fuel pressure” CELs come on on the way to the track hanging the huge sweeping horseshoe turns going up hill at 1/2 tank too. I wonder if anyone has tried installing fuel cell foam to stop the sloshing in the tank.

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
So, 2 events at Packwood: Local Pro Solo and regular local the next day. The target, again, is Mr. Otis in the FoRS. The pro turned about as expected, with Ryan 1+ seconds ahead over two ~32 courses; we only got 60 foots for a couple of runs but gap was about .5 a side. I'm sure a more experienced Pro driver could find a way to not sleep at the lights and cut that to maybe .3?

Next day, a somewhat technical, speed maintenance course with a kink at the start to remove launch advantages. Had him through three runs and screwed the pooch on the last. I shouldn't be happy when I lose but I was stoked to be that close. Course favored CTR tho.

Still no aftermarket bar on my car, rear pressures at 38 were plenty for rotation (asphalt), and I think I may look for a less bitey pad up front because I don't have enough self control to properly modulate my right foot.

Last edited:

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I just wanted to congratulate myself. 1st autocross event of the season and my 3rd ever. I got first place in the novice class!!!!

My fastest run was my last, and it was in a light rain.

It was also my first time running it with the traction control off... scared the crap out of me in the first corner. lol.

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Congrats!

Yes, yes, take a deep, long hit at that crackpipe. Before you know it you'll have the fenders chopped off, 315 Hoosiers square, and will be trailering the car to Lincoln in September.

bgood

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2007 Honda S2K, 2016 Honda Civic Hatchback, 2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 4X4, and some toys
Country flag
I will get back to Autox in a few weeks. Car is almost ready. I have a question about launching. I have yet to attempt launches, since I don't quite have 600 miles on the odometer. I did a half-launch attempt when getting on the freeway. The fronts hit the paint band across the freeway (in first gear), and the car immediately cut out fuel. I was going maybe 15 mph. I don't really want to be in that situation during a competition run. So, when launching, what is the ideal RPM--this is on a seasoned asphalt surface--and what about short shifting? What has worked best?

sundaydriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
That is interesting. I would think that surface/tire temps would affect grip at both ends and therefore tail happiness would not change. The fronts do warm up more than the rears, but my first run on equally cold tires led to a spin 20 seconds into the run. Perhaps there is a threshold for grip that is not met at 40F that affects mainly the rears. I think I might try to disconnect the Karcepts bar for a few runs if it is cold at the next event to see if that corrects the problem. Of course, the apply more throttle fix to the rear stepping out could improve times!
This is with the .095" wall bar? Which is about 10% stiffer than stock on the softest setting if I'm reading their website correctly? I'm on the stock bar and I've rarely needed more rotation but occasionally had too much on cold crappy surfaces. Thinking I might need this for concrete though and I'm on the waiting list for Sprint Nats.

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
This is with the .095" wall bar? Which is about 10% stiffer than stock on the softest setting if I'm reading their website correctly? I'm on the stock bar and I've rarely needed more rotation but occasionally had too much on cold crappy surfaces. Thinking I might need this for concrete though and I'm on the waiting list for Sprint Nats.
I went to Crow's NT and the car did not rotate nearly the same way as it did on asphalt in similar temps; the other CTR in class, with the Karcepts, rotated well.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think if I am set on sticking with the 275/245 stagger I don't think I need Karcepts at all. The car is pretty neutral on concrete or asphalt to the point that on cold tires its a bit of a handful. But I don't plan on sticking with stagger so Karcepts will probably work as a tuning tool.

sundaydriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think if I am set on sticking with the 275/245 stagger I don't think I need Karcepts at all. The car is pretty neutral on concrete or asphalt to the point that on cold tires its a bit of a handful. But I don't plan on sticking with stagger so Karcepts will probably work as a tuning tool.
Going 275 square then? Do 275s make first gear more usable getting power down?

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am going to try 275 Rival S square first. If I go Bridgestones in the end it'll probably be 265s...

You are gonna be struggling with 1st whatever you use, but I haven't really done any launch outside of a normal autoX, non-Prosolo start....

I was hoping the gearing would be better with 275, pure math wise it was supposed to be almost 64mph in 2nd, but if you back calculate the rev/mile on Tire Rack's spec it ends up being about 61.5, which is about what I see on GPS data...
Sponsored