Confirmed: '17 Hatch (ST) has tint on windows from factory

canyonblue737

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch, '14 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
Country flag
I'm having my windows tinted on my new 2017 Sport Touring Hatch. I noticed a thread here on the forum where some higher end models of the Civic Sedan in 2017 began getting 73% tinted windows straight from the factory which essentially look clear but create a real problem if you are trying to target a specific % of aftermarket tint to comply with local laws. I asked if this was the case also for the Hatch in a thread last week but no one seemed to have an answer.

Well now we do. The '17 Sport Touring Hatch (not sure about lower spec models) has 73% tint straight from the factory on all side windows. Not sure about the rear window but I would assume its the same. Putting a small piece of 35% tint on my side window resulted in a meter test result of 26% because of this. I need to comply with a 35% maximum tint law in Illinois and also because I intend in a few years to have this become a vehicle I want my kids to learn to drive in I very much want to minimize any difficulty with visibility when backing up at night. So bottom line is I'm going to have to use a 50% aftermarket tint to get a 36-37% overall tint on the windows. I'll be using FormulaOne Pinnacle and getting it done in a couple days, I'll post the pics.

Hope this helps people considering aftermarket tint, don't assume or let your installer assume these are typical 96-98% clear windows like on most vehicles, they aren't, and the end results might not meet your expectations if you aren't aware of this and the installer doesn't test the glass.

With these windows and common tint levels:

50% tint = 36.5% overall
40% tint = 29.2% overall
35% tint = 25.6% overall
30% tint = 21.9% overall
25% tint = 18.3% overall
20% tint = 14.6% overall
15% tint = 11.0% overall
5% tint = 3.7% overall
Sponsored

Last edited:

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Is it only the sport tourings?

edit:

Front window is the same part number on an EX and Sport Touring.
73350-TGG-305

That might explain why my 35% tint is so dark...

OP
OP

canyonblue737

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is it only the sport tourings?
That's a great question. Based on what I saw on the thread about the Civic sedan it was implied that the mid and higher level tiers had it but never clear that the low end didn't, they just didn't know.

Frankly I'd assume Honda would do it to all of them but until someone with an LX or something can check I think the safest answer is that if you have your Civic of any kind tinted you should have the shop check with a meter. 73% is barely noticeable by itself but makes a large impact when combined with regular aftermarket tint.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
That's a great question. Based on what I saw on the thread about the Civic sedan it was implied that the mid and higher level tiers had it but never clear that the low end didn't, they just didn't know.

Frankly I'd assume Honda would do it to all of them but until someone with an LX or something can check I think the safest answer is that if you have your Civic of any kind tinted you should have the shop check with a meter. 73% is barely noticeable by itself but makes a large impact when combined with regular aftermarket tint.
Part number for the LX hatch is identical to the Sport touring and EX trims. I would assume that this is across the board.

What model light meter did you use? When was it last calibrated?

OP
OP

canyonblue737

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Part number for the LX hatch is identical to the Sport touring and EX trims. I would assume that this is across the board.

What model light meter did you use? When was it last calibrated?
It was the installers, I couldn't say. That said considering the other Civic thread about factory tints reported 73-75 factory tints and he got 73, and a 35% tint applied to the glass (small square) then measured was 26% I'm inclined to think it was accurate, at least enough to show the glass wasn't 96-98% like most factory glass.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I think all cars have factory tint for basic protection...so this isn't really news.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think all cars have factory tint for basic protection...so this isn't really news.
Bingo.

They may not look like it, but all new cars for at least the past few years have some degree of UV protection "tint" baked into the glass already. Most are 70-75% factory. Hence why people run into issues thinking their % is legal when in reality, it measures lower.

OP
OP

canyonblue737

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bingo.

They may not look like it, but all new cars for at least the past few years have some degree of UV protection "tint" baked into the glass already. Most are 70-75% factory. Hence why people run into issues thinking their % is legal when in reality, it measures lower.
It was news to me and hopefully even if this thread drops into obscurity at least if someone wants to know it will show up in the search. As cool as dark windows look I have zero interest in having any possible issues with police because of my tint and don't want to have issues seeing at night so my personal bottom level is 35% and at least I found out it is 73% factory before letting the installer slap 35% on and getting 26% instead.

Thanks for the help all.

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Its been talked about before here. Its ~70% from factory and I believe this is required by law?? So yea. You should use this equation if you want to tint to your specific tint; tint to be applied % = % tint desired / 70%

pincusterp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
Just to pipe it...

I did not know it came with any tint. It certainly didn't seem like it, though I know it's hard to tell at 70%+. I got mine done last week, SunTek CXP, 35% back, 50% front. Both are the legal limits in VA. I didn't have the before tint measured.

Anyway, if I had known this I probably would have factored it in so I didn't go beyond the legal limit. I'm glad I didn't know. I wouldn't want it any lighter. I am super happy with how it looks right now. I actually am debating putting another light layer on the front to make it closer to the back. The tint place has advised me to be careful b/c they've pulled off a lot of tint jobs after clients getting beef from cops.

Edit: One more note on hatches. The place I used is highly reputable and does a ton of cars, many high-end. Mine was the first CivicX hatch they've done. Over the phone the owner gave me his quote. Between the time he gave me the quote and the time I brought it in to get tinted (about 24 hours) he had done research and talked to other shops that had done hatches and discovered what a pain in the ass it is to do the hatch right b/c of the need to take off the whole spoiler/light assembly on the back hatch window. He honored his quote to me but said he'll charge $100 more for future hatches.

Last edited:

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Just to pipe it...
I did not know it came with any tint. It certainly didn't seem like it, though I know it's hard to tell at 70%+. I got mine done last week, SunTek CXP, 35% back, 50% front. Both are the legal limits in VA. I didn't have the before tint measured.
Neither did I. I too live in VA and went with the legal limits with FormulaOne Pinnacle ceramic all around. It does look darker then the film did on a couple of older cars they had to show it off on.

All in all I'm happy with it. I'm looking at getting a doctors note allowing me to run front tints on the windshield. I'd go with clear CR90 or CR70 3M Crystalline up front.

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
I have a 16 ext Sedan, purchased 12/15 in WV. Had windows tinted in June 16 at 35%. Moved 2 MD in August of 16. Had to get car inspected to register it. Inspection was done at a Honda dealer. Was told by dealer had to remove tint because it was lower than state regs of 35%. (My cars windows were 25 to 27 % tinted, all around) I believe my windows on my car came with a tint also, but look like they don't.... Please check them 1st so u don't have to have the tint removed like I did.....(I wished I'd have stayed in WV)

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback ST
I will say.. I have 40% all around and 70% on the windshield, I had this setup on my 13' Accord Sport and the windshield is noticeably darker on my 17' Sport Touring versus the Accord.

Even if it was factory tinted though, I still needed more
Sponsored