First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi, recently I have been really ramping up on the power upgrades on my 2018 Si. In November of 2020 I installed a 27won race rmm and January of 2021 I installed a PRL street cobra intake. However in November of 2021 I installed ktuner with TSP stage 1 and a race MAF upgrade, and last month I installed an RV6 catless downpipe. The car feels so much better now and has really woken up, but my stock clutch started slipping on 21 and 23 psi in gears 3+ below 4k rpm, when it heats up it won’t even hold until 5k in third. In sixth gear on the highway I can’t even get into boost without it slipping. Because of this I decided to only use 19 psi at most for daily driving. So with this in mind, I am considering a clutch upgrade as my next performance mod before I add any more power. I was highly considering competition stage 3 because the whole theme of my build has been to go all out, but I have had almost everyone I talk to tell me that stage 3 would be way too stiff of a clutch for even a weekend car, let alone a daily. Now I will be going to college in the fall so I won’t be driving my car much, but it is still my only car for now. I do also want a stiffer clutch pedal as I find the stock one too soft for my liking.

So my question for those who have or have driven an Si with a competition stage 3 clutch is what do you think about it? Is the pedal too stiff? Is the engagement too harsh due to it being a pucked clutch? Is this clutch able to be dailied? Any feedback would be highly appreciated!
Sponsored

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Unless you can afford and plan to go all out including build engine, fueling and start doing kshawn things the stage 3 is overkill and you won't end up needing anything near that. Or you can still get it and call every day "Left leg day" lol I don't know of anyone have any clutch issues with act, comp or the retro not holding enough torque later on or anything.

OP
OP
jack.

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unless you can afford and plan to go all out including build engine, fueling and start doing kshawn things the stage 3 is overkill and you won't end up needing anything near that. Or you can still get it and call every day "Left leg day" lol I don't know of anyone have any clutch issues with act, comp or the retro not holding enough torque later on or anything.
I do tend to overdo things lol. For now I only plan on going full bolt on with the VTT turbo, in fact I’m following your thread on it! But in the future if I ever blow my motor I plan to get a GTX2867R turbo kit and basically go the kshawn route, so… ?

Anyway I am not looking at torque rating too much, my main goal is to have a stiffer pedal (after break in) than stock, and to have a much lighter flywheel than stock which will be achieved by the ultralight 17 lb flywheel. I don’t care if it holds 400 or 700 pounds of torque, I just want it to be more than enough to hold the power of my wildest dreams.

Last edited:

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Just know that a puck clutch isn't going to last as long.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Oh nice! Yeah I get that, I won't go down kshawns path but the goal is to have the car built for the track by the time i'm done modifying it including built eng/trans just so I can beat the crap out of it on the track. I'm actually heading back to see Drob again sometime hopefully before end of April to see how the turbo does with flex.

I guess it depends on what kind of traffic/area you drive in lol it only takes that one afternoon in stop and go traffic somewhere with a headache and a clutch than can only be dumped to say fuck it :banghead:

It's pretty safe to assume if nobody has one and can tell you that it is going to be pretty harsh with puck disk and superlight flywheel.
Sponsored