Clutch question again

hashsi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
1100 miles now. Loving this car, however, this rev hang think is bugging me. Have owned 4 manuals in the last 20 years.

Holding the clutch down waiting for the revs to calm down takes an eternity when shifting to 2nd, sometimes 3rd (all other gears I can let the clutch out quick). So, I’ve decided I will just pull clutch, hold at friction for a quick second, then let off (for 1-2-3).

Question is how much will an oem clutch replacement be? I’m thinking by shifting like this I should still be able to get 100k miles. Thoughts?

Maybe I’m just overthinking this. Dang internet. Lol
Sponsored

Deleted member

Clutch will probably last a long time if you're not dumping the clutch for launches or lugging the engine often.

You can get rid of the rev hang with something like Ktuner.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
1100 miles now. Loving this car, however, this rev hang think is bugging me. Have owned 4 manuals in the last 20 years.

Holding the clutch down waiting for the revs to calm down takes an eternity when shifting to 2nd, sometimes 3rd (all other gears I can let the clutch out quick). So, I’ve decided I will just pull clutch, hold at friction for a quick second, then let off (for 1-2-3).

Question is how much will an oem clutch replacement be? I’m thinking by shifting like this I should still be able to get 100k miles. Thoughts?

Maybe I’m just overthinking this. Dang internet. Lol
I think you are over thinking it. Find a good shifting point with the clutch and stick with it. When I first got it, I was like a new driver coming out of 1st and going into 2nd. I found a good point for shifting and have stuck with it.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Do the delay valve delete and don’t look back!
I second this. Installed a steel clutch line first, then a month later did the delay valve. I can finally feel my bite point, without using the force haha. Engagement is almost instant. 1st->2 smoothed out.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
How much of a difference would you say this makes without something like Ktuner?
It's worth the purchase. Set Your anti lag to -12.0 btw xD

maxvelocity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I found 1 to 2 is a bitch to get right because it’s so different than other gear changes.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I second this. Installed a steel clutch line first, then a month later did the delay valve. I can finally feel my bite point, without using the force haha. Engagement is almost instant. 1st->2 smoothed out.
did you have a grind before?

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
did you have a grind before?
Are you referring to a rotating grinding noise when driving? I noticed this sound not to long after i did my CDV delete. Wasn't sure if the cdv delete was the cause of this noise or not but I'm starting to think it is. :dunno:
However the noise isn't really noticeable unless windows are up and radio is up. Sound is low.

Last edited:

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Are you referring to a rotating grinding noise when driving? I noticed this sound not to long after i did my CDV delete. Wasn't sure if the cdv delete was the cause of this noise or not but I'm starting to think it is. :dunno:
However the noise isn't really noticeable unless windows are up and radio is up. Sound is low.
The rotors on these cars build up rust really quickly.
If you have a spec of dirt caught in there, you will hear a "rotating metallic grinding noise" until you either clean your rotors properly (brake cleaner or vinegar bath) or you use your brakes hardcore.

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
The rotors on these cars build up rust really quickly.
If you have a spec of dirt caught in there, you will hear a "rotating metallic grinding noise" until you either clean your rotors properly (brake cleaner) or you use your brakes hardcore.
I don't use my brakes hard so thats ruled out and I thoroughly looked over my brake assembly twice and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The sound is coming from the driver side area

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
no transmission gear grind

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag