Clutch longetivity after tune

kyeohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I've been thinking about getting either the hondata flashpro or a ktuner for some time now and have been wondering how long the oem clutch handles with the tune. A while back I saw on a thread that most people can run +6psi without the clutch slipping but experience slipping after about a month or so with the +6psi option. If anyone knows or can refer me to a thread where I can find out please lmk!
Sponsored

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I think you’ve answered your own question. Sooner or later you will eventually need a new clutch as it seems that it’s made to handle stock power at its max. Some guys lasted only a month, while others lasted 8 to 10k miles, before it took a dump. Consider it a supporting mod among other parts that gets enhanced with a tune. There is a thread on this somewhere, but you can search and it should pop up a few threads on this.

OP
OP
kyeohh

kyeohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I think you’ve answered your own question. Sooner or later you will eventually need a new clutch as it seems that it’s made to handle stock power at its max. Some guys lasted only a month, while others lasted 8 to 10k miles, before it took a dump. Consider it a supporting mod among other parts that gets enhanced with a tune. There is a thread on this somewhere, but you can search and it should pop up a few threads on this.
Amazing, thank you. I was really just looking for confirmation that it wouldnt last too long. So new clutch is a must!

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Amazing, thank you. I was really just looking for confirmation that it wouldnt last too long. So new clutch is a must!
I've read about people who beat the car and even run E85 for a year without a problem with their clutch. Why not try it. Why fix a problem before it is a problem. If the clutch slips then there would be plenty of time to get a new clutch. Just drive it a little bit easier until you replace the clutch. It is not like the clutch will explode or anything. However, if you are planning a lot of extreme mods that would be another case.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been thinking about getting either the hondata flashpro or a ktuner for some time now and have been wondering how long the oem clutch handles with the tune. A while back I saw on a thread that most people can run +6psi without the clutch slipping but experience slipping after about a month or so with the +6psi option. If anyone knows or can refer me to a thread where I can find out please lmk!
Unfortunately, I think the best answer you are going to get here is YMMV. I dialed back the boost tables on the +6 Si calibration so that the max boost is 21 psi @ 5,700 (the +6 table targets max of 23.18 psi @ 5,700) in hopes of preserving the stock clutch. I'm happy enough with that for now, but only 800 miles in so I couldn't tell you for sure that it won't cause clutch slip eventually, but that is where I am comfortable. When I asked the question some said +6 would not cause clutch to slip. I don't think you'll be able to find a definitive answer. Best we could do would be to aggregate anecdotal data.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Unfortunately, I think the best answer you are going to get here is YMMV. I dialed back the boost tables on the +6 Si calibration so that the max boost is 21 psi @ 5,700 (the +6 table targets max of 23.18 psi @ 5,700) in hopes of preserving the stock clutch. I'm happy enough with that for now, but only 800 miles in so I couldn't tell you for sure that it won't cause clutch slip eventually, but that is where I am comfortable. When I asked the question some said +6 would not cause clutch to slip. I don't think you'll be able to find a definitive answer. Best we could do would be to aggregate anecdotal data.
you should be dialing back in the 3000-4000 range. at the top there isnt as much tq made compared to full spool

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you should be dialing back in the 3000-4000 range. at the top there isnt as much tq made compared to full spool
Beat me to it. I'm running a 23psi map on the stock clutch with no slipping so far, but I'm trying to take it easy on the throttle under 4,000 or so while breaking in the clutch.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dialed it back from 3,000 up because that seems to be where it starts pushing beyond stock in a meaningful way, but that makes sense. I understand that boost doesn't equal torque, but my goal was to keep max boost around "advertised" levels, for whatever that is worth. I appreciate the knowledge you guys have. Thanks.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I've read about people who beat the car and even run E85 for a year without a problem with their clutch. Why not try it. Why fix a problem before it is a problem. If the clutch slips then there would be plenty of time to get a new clutch. Just drive it a little bit easier until you replace the clutch. It is not like the clutch will explode or anything. However, if you are planning a lot of extreme mods that would be another case.
The real question is:
Why end up stuck in the middle of nowhere with a car with a damaged clutch?

Reactions: jms

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The real question is:
Why end up stuck in the middle of nowhere with a car with a damaged clutch?
As I said, the clutch won't explode! :drive:

The only exception to this if you drive it like a bat out of hell and can't realize that the clutch is slipping then you could get into trouble. If you notice a slip passing cars at full throttle then that may or may not be a problem. If your car has less than 2000 miles on it, the clutch may not be fully broken in. If so, then drive it a lot more and make sure you roll on the throttle more slowly or downshift when you are passing cars if you are under 4000 rpm. Let the clutch break in. Then you can decide if you need or want a new clutch. Clutches are designed to slip some. That is what it is for.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
I'm running 18psi on my KTuner tune and I didn't slip for about 3-4k miles highway. Now if I go WOT even at high RPM I slip. I'm dialing my boost back to 16psi until I can justify a clutch job. Everyone's mileage will vary.

HSFBunny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
There is no way to be certain. Each car is proving to be different in terms of clutch holding capacity.

On my car, Ktuner’s stock 23 PSI calibration caused slip. The sudden surge in torque at 3,500 was too much for the stock clutch.

Vit’s 23 PSI "stage 1" calibration for the Si did not slip, due to the more gradual increase in torque, but we’ll see how long that lasts.

OP
OP
kyeohh

kyeohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Ahh yess thanks everyone for their response! Long story short, everyones clutch varies. I guess, just for me, i want to make sure i have clutch money first before i tune it. At least that way I have some sort of "peace of mind" if I ever do intend to batter it while on a tune.

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
No slip for me with Vit's 19/25 tune. I can make it slip, if im going about 60-65 in 5th gear(Which is around 3K RPM), and step on it. Otherwise, it holds. Even from a launch. I've been on Vit's stage 1 tune since about 1k miles, and I'm currently at 5100.

I fear, like many others, it's a ticking time bomb in reference to when it will fail.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dialed it back from 3,000 up because that seems to be where it starts pushing beyond stock in a meaningful way, but that makes sense. I understand that boost doesn't equal torque, but my goal was to keep max boost around "advertised" levels, for whatever that is worth. I appreciate the knowledge you guys have. Thanks.
To update this, clutch slipped in 4th while merging onto the highway yesterday. Clearly this thread jinxed me. Anyway, as others have observed, it seems that there is very little overhead in the stock clutch.
Sponsored