Civic Type R EV??

Slick562

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
So we had the pleasure of having Honda Global CEO Takahiro Hachigo come talk to us in a Town Hall meeting this morning. Someone asked him a question saying how one of the past CEO's was responsible for bringing the S2000 to market, another one the Clarity, the one before him was responsible for bringing the NSX back into the market and the question was what was he going to work on and bring to market. His answer was that he would work on trying to come out with a Civic Type R EV. What are your thoughts on this?
Sponsored

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I could see a Civic EV, but I doubt they would call it a Type R. That would drastically change its heritage and following too much.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I could see a Civic EV, but I doubt they would call it a Type R. That would drastically change its heritage and following too much.
Agreed - it'd just be an awkwardly misplaced product all-around. That being said, I'm shocked Honda hasn't announced solid plans for an EV or even hybrid Civic with the new platform.

malak33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 cw civic type r
Country flag
So we had the pleasure of having Honda Global CEO Takahiro Hachigo come talk to us in a Town Hall meeting this morning. Someone asked him a question saying how one of the past CEO's was responsible for bringing the S2000 to market, another one the Clarity, the one before him was responsible for bringing the NSX back into the market and the question was what was he going to work on and bring to market. His answer was that he would work on trying to come out with a Civic Type R EV. What are your thoughts on this?
I was just thinking about this two days ago. Imagine an EV type R. The batteries on the bottom. Even better handling. Then doing power to all four wheel is even easier. We can only hope, but that's not happening for years...

NiltyTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTi
I think the only way(and what should of happened IMO) it would be called "Type -R EV" is if they put a baby hybrid AWD system like the NSX. It would solve the AWD launching and torque vectoring issue everyone is crying about and could also maybe make the car more "eco-friendly" without having to redesign the 6 speed tranny and fit a driveshaft and transfer cases in. So basically two small electric motors in the back, one for each wheel, same drivetrain up front, and software magic to make it all mend together perfectly.:)

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That day can't come soon enough. $27k-ish for a Civic EV? Doesn't need to be an R variant. Sign me up!

OP
OP
Slick562

Slick562

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the only way(and what should of happened IMO) it would be called "Type -R EV" is if they put a baby hybrid AWD system like the NSX. It would solve the AWD launching and torque vectoring issue everyone is crying about and could also maybe make the car more "eco-friendly" without having to redesign the 6 speed tranny and fit a driveshaft and transfer cases in. So basically two small electric motors in the back, one for each wheel, same drivetrain up front, and software magic to make it all mend together perfectly.:)
Thats what I was thinking. if they did something like NSX that would be great. Not sure how i feel it being all electric.

He specifically said he wanted to make a Type R EV not just a Civic in general.

pdiizeru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type-R #225
Country flag
You had a man that could answer so many questions in front of you... and you didn't ask more about the Type R? Such as production numbers, or how many MY years they plan on building?!!!!! :eek:

Great to hear something different on these forums, but I personally don't care for 10 years in the future about a car. I want to know about the next 4 years with the Type R that is out now.o_O

OP
OP
Slick562

Slick562

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You had a man that could answer so many questions in front of you... and you didn't ask more about the Type R? Such as production numbers, or how many MY years they plan on building?!!!!! :eek:

Great to hear something different on these forums, but I personally don't care for 10 years in the future about a car. I want to know about the next 4 years with the Type R that is out now.o_O
Wish I could have asked him many other questions but was only here for 30 minutes and there are hundreds of people that work here. You will be seeing something like this within the next 4 years.;)
Sponsored