Car Accident

CANMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Was driving home with my parents from looking at houses today, and the road we were driving on went down to one lane for utility work. The girl behind me was on her phone and slammed into the back of me! And on top of that, she is uninsured :/. Thankfully everyone is okay, but the car isn't even two months old! It's sitting at the shop now. Fingers crossed everything works out okay, and they can repair it back to perfection.

FullSizeRender.jpg
People may disagree and flame me, and I'm and glad you are ok, but I would hire an attorney to secure a judgement on your behalf. Being rear ended is one thing, the at fault driver not having insurance is another, and being on the damn phone to top it all off would just infuritate me! So not only are you inconvienanced by this whole incident, but likely going to have many headaches dealing with an un-insured driver. In my state not having insurance is illegal. Anyway, point being, although she may not have much money to begin with, it's clearly multiple poor decisions which led to this incident and I am at a point in my life where I am tired of having my nice stuff I work hard for damaged by irresponsible people, and then being the one to have to deal with the inconvenience and fall out. Secure a judgement.....
Sponsored

Kindred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
People may disagree and flame me, and I'm and glad you are ok, but I would hire an attorney to secure a judgement on your behalf. Being rear ended is one thing, the at fault driver not having insurance is another, and being on the damn phone to top it all off would just infuritate me! So not only are you inconvienanced by this whole incident, but likely going to have many headaches dealing with an un-insured driver. In my state not having insurance is illegal. Anyway, point being, although she may not have much money to begin with, it's clearly multiple poor decisions which led to this incident and I am at a point in my life where I am tired of having my nice stuff I work hard for damaged by irresponsible people, and then being the one to have to deal with the inconvenience and fall out. Secure a judgement.....
In Ontario, Canada, we have no-fault insurance which I believe leads to less litigation. In the case of the woman without insurance it would seem she could file for bankruptcy to avoid her income from being garnished.

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic SGP Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm in the process of filing a small claim suit against the dealership who struck me. They ignored my demand letter for diminished value so gotta serve them in court. I agreethe above posters car now has an accident on record which ruins the value.

ajacks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Koz McBloo 2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Boy does that sheet metal look thin...
Obviously I don't know how hard these vehicles were struck, but does it worry anyone else just how much damage was done for being rear ended? I think one guy said $6600 in damage? Man that's a lot of damage!
I'm thinking of getting a huge condom to put around my entire car!

OP
OP

humphrey1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Obviously I don't know how hard these vehicles were struck, but does it worry anyone else just how much damage was done for being rear ended? I think one guy said $6600 in damage? Man that's a lot of damage!
I'm thinking of getting a huge condom to put around my entire car!
Yup. Mine was the one with $6,600 in damage. The girl was going about 30-40 mph. The airbags didn't deploy in my car. Not sure about hers, but her front end was pretty mangled. Her front passenger tire even blew out from the impact.

The body shop basically went ahead and replaced the whole rear end. Bumper, trunk lid, left taillight, and the left quarter panel. Matching the paint was $800 alone. But they matched it perfectly.

OP
OP

humphrey1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
I'm in the process of filing a small claim suit against the dealership who struck me. They ignored my demand letter for diminished value so gotta serve them in court. I agreethe above posters car now has an accident on record which ruins the value.
I've asked my claims representative about what we can do about the diminished value of the car. I'm assuming I'll be contacted soon with some info. However, my Civic is a lease, so whether they're able to do something about the value or not, ultimately, I feel as though I'm not the one taking the hit in value.

Last edited:

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
In Ontario, Canada, we have no-fault insurance which I believe leads to less litigation. In the case of the woman without insurance it would seem she could file for bankruptcy to avoid her income from being garnished.
But insurance is around 3 to 4 times more expensive, at least for the Windsor, ON area vs the Toledo, OH area.

Kindred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
But insurance is around 3 to 4 times more expensive, at least for the Windsor, ON area vs the Toledo, OH area.
It is extremely expensive in Ontario, as you said. I suspect it's due to our population being 32 million and yours being 300 million.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
People may disagree and flame me, and I'm and glad you are ok, but I would hire an attorney to secure a judgement on your behalf.
Totally agree with this. In the OP's state, driving without insurance is a Class C misdemeanor. Additionally, driving with a suspended license is a Class B misdemeanor (for 1st offense, up to 6 months in jail and fines up to $500).

QCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord '17, CR-V '17
Country flag
It is extremely expensive in Ontario, as you said. I suspect it's due to our population being 32 million and yours being 300 million.
I suspect it's just Ontario, here in Quebec it's pretty cheap :)

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've asked my claims representative about what we can do about the diminished value of the car. I'm assuming I'll be contacted soon with some info. However, my Civic is a lease, so whether they're able to do something about the value or not, ultimately, I feel as though I'm not the one taking the hit in value.
Suggest you read your lease agreement - in almost all cases the leasee is responsible for the condition of the vehicle and you or your insurer will have to make up the difference in lost value.

ajacks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Koz McBloo 2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Yup. Mine was the one with $6,600 in damage. The girl was going about 30-40 mph. The airbags didn't deploy in my car. Not sure about hers, but her front end was pretty mangled. Her front passenger tire even blew out from the impact.

The body shop basically went ahead and replaced the whole rear end. Bumper, trunk lid, left taillight, and the left quarter panel. Matching the paint was $800 alone. But they matched it perfectly.
Well I'm happy to see that your vehicle is back to normal!

Suggest you read your lease agreement - in almost all cases the leasee is responsible for the condition of the vehicle and you or your insurer will have to make up the difference in lost value.
I don't think this is correct. The lessee is responsible for the condition of the vehicle upon returning it, and it has been repaired to the original state. The residual value is pre-determined by Honda Finance and that (about 58% or so I believe) will be on your lease. This will probably affect the actual resale value of the vehicle and therefore you may not want to purchase it at the end of the lease and that is your right, the dealership or HFC will have to bear the cost if the resale value is below the pre-negotiated residual value at the time of resale.
I should add that the suggestion to review the terms of your lease is certainly sound advice.
Sponsored