Buying a new Civic

anckentucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My mom and dad are looking at picking me up a new Honda Civic, not sure of model. They're paying cash/check and haven't bought a new car in a long time due to bad credit. They did about 6 years ago but were hit with a high interest rate. They recently inherited a significant sum of money and after having years of trouble with my car, they're helping me out as an early graduation present. Because of my parents lack of experience in buying new vehicles and having the cash to walk in and buy whatever they please, I want to make sure they get a good deal out of it. What are your suggestions that I can give them for getting incentives? I'm not really sure what it's like buying a vehicle, but I have been reading around here getting a grasp of things. I feel very fortunate that I'm in this position, so I want to make sure that they get the better side of things.
Sponsored

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
My mom and dad are looking at picking me up a new Honda Civic, not sure of model. They're paying cash/check and haven't bought a new car in a long time due to bad credit. They did about 6 years ago but were hit with a high interest rate. They recently inherited a significant sum of money and after having years of trouble with my car, they're helping me out as an early graduation present. Because of my parents lack of experience in buying new vehicles and having the cash to walk in and buy whatever they please, I want to make sure they get a good deal out of it. What are your suggestions that I can give them for getting incentives? I'm not really sure what it's like buying a vehicle, but I have been reading around here getting a grasp of things. I feel very fortunate that I'm in this position, so I want to make sure that they get the better side of things.
I would start off by picking the model you want then head over to What did you pay? Page and read back a few pages. Then check true car to get a idea on what people are paying in your area. Also when your at the dealer never pay for those BS add ons like Nitrogen tires, paint or interior protection ect. The people on this forum are really good people and I'm sure a lot will chime in.

tnmz6i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Accord Coupe
First of all, my hat is off to you for being so responsible with this gift and looking out for your folks' best interest! As for pricing, like Rawnerve said, check the "price paid" thread and look at TrueCar for some guidance on what kind of price can be had. Also, might be a good idea to look for the particular car you want in your local area and e-mail the dealers and get their best price, without any add-ons, extended warranties, paint/fabric protection, etc. Then you can use the lowest of those numbers to start negotiating with your local dealer. Don't be afraid to walk if you feel you aren't getting a fair deal! If a dealer senses inexperienced buyers, you might get taken for a ride if you are not careful. Good luck and congrats on the upcoming new ride!

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
An hour or so of reading this forum will save you money. Your parents will be thrilled with whatever trim they choose. No need for any add-ons as the Honda Civic is a well dressed vehicle. Salespeople are trained to be your best friend while making decisions. Rarely is true, mostly they want to increase the transaction price. Don't settle for something you don't want, wait for your favorite colour or trim. Don't be afraid to walk away to rethink the deal or the dealership.

The Civic sits very low. Make sure they are comfortable getting in and out. If this is a problem, or could be in the future, have a look at the HRV. Great all round vehicle.

OP
OP
anckentucky

anckentucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
An hour or so of reading this forum will save you money. Your parents will be thrilled with whatever trim they choose. No need for any add-ons as the Honda Civic is a well dressed vehicle. Salespeople are trained to be your best friend while making decisions. Rarely is true, mostly they want to increase the transaction price. Don't settle for something you don't want, wait for your favorite colour or trim. Don't be afraid to walk away to rethink the deal or the dealership.

The Civic sits very low. Make sure they are comfortable getting in and out. If this is a problem, or could be in the future, have a look at the HRV. Great all round vehicle.
Thanks very much for the tips. The car is for me and I hope I won't have any trouble getting in and out anytime soon! haha
Sponsored