Bought a 2018 2.0 Turbo Accord Touring

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I test drove the 2.0T manual Accord and really liked it. It's a bit big for my liking, but the blocker for me is the analogue speedometer. That means that I can't fully switch it to metric. It's bad enough to me that my Civic still displays the temperature in Fahrenheit, but not being able to have defeat the analogue speedometer in MPH is just ridiculous. Really liked the pull, and I was excited to see what Vit could do with it. Alas, though, won't be happening. Maybe they'll change that absurdity in future models.

georgewny

66 Stang / 80 Triumph TR7 Spider
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Shelby GT350H convertible clone (black n gold), '07 Honda Odyssey EX (blue), '11 BMW 335IX (diamond sapphire black), '14 Mercedes C300 Pearl White, '16 Honda Civic EX w Sensing (rallye red)
A slightly different view, few years back we went shopping for a new Accord, and ended up with a used BMW 335xi, (Certified Pre Owned). for less or equal $'s then the new Honda (depending on trim level, we looked at EXL). Down side is higher cost of ownership (much higher), less MPG and premium gas. But I'd say our BMW 335xi gives us tons of road feed back and a boat loads of Fun, and its handles extremely well it's our preferred car to take on any long and winding roads. That model Accord (previous generation) looked nice and was a good family car, but lacked on fun factor. Have a 2016 Civic too, we loved it's styling and feel when we got it in 2016 and still do, but when you compare it to Mercedes or BMW's, there really isn't anything in common, with the Civic you are very much aware you are driving a econo-box, especially after driving the BMW then the Civic I believe if the new Accord had been available then, we probably would have went with the Accord but it would have been a very tuff decision. Down side is that the BMW n Mercedes have a very high cost of ownership that we do not have with our Hondas. We like them all, but for different reasons. FYI both of our German cars we bought used (CPO) and both our Hondas we bought new.

georgewny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Shelby GT350H convertible clone (black n gold), '07 Honda Odyssey EX (blue), '11 BMW 335IX (diamond sapphire black), '14 Mercedes C300 Pearl White, '16 Honda Civic EX w Sensing (rallye red)
Good points Coo1rim,
Totally agree about the cost of ownership, as I know it first hand. But I cant agree with the traction in snow, (or rain or dry sunny days), our all wheel BMW 335 xi, even with 300 plus hp and our Benz 4Matic easily out perform the civic in snow, no question about it at all, its not even close. And I'd even give the edge to the Benz in the snow, since it's not a high strung as the BMW. Front wheel drive Hondas are good, but they don't hold a candle to any all wheel drive car (HR V, CR V would be the animal to use in snow). The weight distribution in the BMW is 50/50 and that is perfect for handling the Civic's I believe are 60/40 and thats, well not what you want, Our Civic definitely does not have any where near the staying or handling in dry/wet or snow conditions.
Case in point, when we drive the Civic after taking out the Benz or BMW on inclement weather days, we have to drive slower and much more cautiously. Matter of fact it's snowing in NY now and the Civic will stay on the driveway and the BMW & Benz will be the cars we take out on the road (if we need to go out). And how I know this, is when entering any parkway from a clover leaf, the Civic ass-end will want to come lose well, well well before the BMW's, regardless of the weather, could be sunny/dry/wet or snow. I kid you not, that's simply the truth. Maybe an SI would be better, and for sure the Type R would probably out perform the BMW at least I suspect it would, Honda sunk tons of research into the Type R and it paid off big time.
Now mind you, I am talking about the EX model with a 2.o L and CVT, Maybe the EXT, Touring would do better, but I honestly would doubt it. But to compare BMW's / Benz vs Civic's & Accords isn't fair just on a cost basis, the German cars sticker out in the mid 50K compared to Hondas in the 20k-30k range, so apples vs oranges, that's why we bought them used at or lower then the cost of a new Accord. And as most know, it costs way more it keep a BMW or Benz on the road then a Honda. The cost of fuel, insurance, maintenance is much more across the boards...
I'd love to see an AWD Accord and Civic, I believe the defunct CrossTour was AWD, but it's shape never really appealed to us. I know for sure, if (when we were looking at Accords a few years back) if they had AWD and a few more ponies under the hood, we would NOT have purchased our BMW and would have stayed loyal to the Honda family. Once your brave enough to purchase outside of the Honda family, there really are some fantastic cars out there, my issue was/is, that the ones I love I cant afford new so we bought Certified used. Even staying in the Honda family... my dream car is a NSX, but best I could afford is a very very very old NSX from the 90's.
An AWD Accord/Civic would be a great thing, I personally think that Honda nailed it in the looks department with the 10gen Civic & Accord, they are gorgeous cars and affordable. Would love to see Honda add all wheel drive option and how about a convertible? Wouldn't that be wonderful!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
your accord won't look as sleek and with as much angular lines as mazda designers will when they design the 19 mazda 3.

enjoy your car cause you will but the money you are dishing out is insane.
lol Mazda 3....

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
he will trade in his 18 accord for a 19 mazda 3 cause it is more sleek, sharper lines, better FE. so addition by subtraction, take the 2k depreciation and the 2k loss in trade in and you're looking at a 5k deposit to the car dealers.
why are you comparing an Accord and a 3? There is no comparison. If Im shopping and Accord, Im not cross shopping it with a 3, maybe a Civic and a 3, and Id take the honda 100 times over the Mazda. Im actually looking at getting an Accord myself and getting out of my Civic. Its been a fun little car, but thats why I want to trade, I want the more refined, smooth driving, larger Sedan.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you are right, why compare a smaller, more agile and less boaty car in the 3 versus something bigger and less fuel efficient. its not like the civic can't fit 4 people comfortable so what are you chances of ever having 5 in the accord? nones! also, you made that classic mistake of buying a first year model in production car. the thing to do in that situation is to buy a used car for a few years while newer come into the fray. take that away and maybe a UK civic hatch, even in first year, and you would do a 180 and never look back on your very recent newly made decision. TRUST.
Ok first off, you dont know my family situation, I most certainly could be piling 5 people in my car. But since you don't know, I'll tell you. I have a 5 year old who uses a car seat, a wife, and then inlaws who frequently ride with us. It will be a much more comfortable fit in the Accord than it will in the civic. You know how I know? We've sat in them. anyhow.

Do you own a civic? Ok, now go drive an Accord. Ok, now you will understand why I would get an Accord. It's a more comfortable, quiet, smoother ride than a civic, by a long shot. So while its the same based chassis, the refinements put into the accord far outweigh what goes into a civic, hence the price difference in the models.

The civic is fine for what it is, Id still take it over the 3 any day of the week. I enjoy my civic quite a lot actually, but for the road trips we take, the accord is a better fit for our family.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Stop feeding @LXHatchSlider - he's contradicting his own posts. He's promoting the new Mazda 3 and says it's a mistake to buy a new MY :lol: Who compares the 3 with the Accord?!

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX and 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Country flag
I test drove the 2.0T manual Accord and really liked it. It's a bit big for my liking, but the blocker for me is the analogue speedometer. That means that I can't fully switch it to metric. It's bad enough to me that my Civic still displays the temperature in Fahrenheit, but not being able to have defeat the analogue speedometer in MPH is just ridiculous. Really liked the pull, and I was excited to see what Vit could do with it. Alas, though, won't be happening. Maybe they'll change that absurdity in future models.
I'm guessing that means the lcd side also doesn't display a digital speed as an option? That's disappointing. They could add it in a software update but it is highly unlikely.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean, look at this roomy backseat, 3 back there is comfortable. not so in my civic with a car seat/booster
Honda Civic 10th gen Bought a 2018 2.0 Turbo Accord Touring k682ih3zjmpjpoh53gac

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I remember when CivicX first came out, one of the surprises was how roomy it was especially the back seat.

georgewny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean, look at this roomy backseat, 3 back there is comfortable. not so in my civic with a car seat/booster
k682ih3zjmpjpoh53gac.jpg
Hey Dallasjhawk,
I think you are 100% on the money, its very hard to beat the new Accord when trying to get an affordable, dependable and inexpensive to operate family car and it is a GREAT LOOKING car to boot! I think you also are correct in that the Accord has always seemed to be more refined then the Civic too, just as the Civic is more refined then the Fit. There may be other mid sized family cars out there that eclipse the Accord in one area or another, but when you look at the entire package, what you get, I can't think of anything that would beat it. I don't know much about Toyotas, but the Camry always seems to outsell the Accord on a national basis, but here on Long Island NY, the Accord rules!!!
Wish you the best of luck with your new wheels!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I remember when CivicX first came out, one of the surprises was how roomy it was especially the back seat.
Compared to my 8th gen SI, its super roomy, it even almost felt the same size as my 14 Accord, slightly more hip room in the Accord. I traded the Accord for my current 16 ext bc it was pretty much equal and I liked the turbo and my wife liked the style. Now that the new Accord has a turbo, a definitely larger back seat than my current civic and my wife and I both love the new Accord, we are looking.
Sponsored