Blown turbo on Civic touring

mrmcwake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Black Crystal Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Out on a road trip with my new Civic. On the highway I went to pass another vehicle. I guess I gave it too much gas. Heard a loud pop and then the car started squealing and lacked power.

Checked the turbo meter and nothing registers anymore.

I'm from Canada and travelling in the states. There happens to be a Honda dealer down the road, but not sure if they would honour my warranty? How long would it take to fix a turbo? I'm only out for four days so not sure if I should just not worry about it and slowly limp home.

other than the lack of power, and the noise, seems to drive fine. Not sure if I should just slowly limp home and let my dealer fix it.
Sponsored

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would first check all your connections and see if you had an intake hose pop off.
Yeah, check the charge pipe to the intercooler other connections (make sure all of the red marks on the connectors line up). I had mine pop off a few days after I got my car since it wasn't secured properly. Caused all sorts of warning lights to turn on. It was a 10 minute fix at the dealer so hopefully it's the same for you.

Honda Civic 10th gen Blown turbo on Civic touring charge-pipe-to-intercooler

OP
OP
mrmcwake

mrmcwake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Black Crystal Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah looks like a hose is just off and the ring clamp is snapped. Should be a simple fix. I was expecting much worse

Honda Civic 10th gen Blown turbo on Civic touring ima

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Whew, that's good news. I'm leaving for a 4 day trip to the US in about 4 hrs and this story scared me. Knock on wood!!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whew, that's good news. I'm leaving for a 4 day trip to the US in about 4 hrs and this story scared me. Knock on wood!!
Hopefully the only thing you'll have to worry about down here are shitty drivers, not a blown turbo...

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah looks like a hose is just off and the ring clamp is snapped. Should be a simple fix. I was expecting much worse
Glad to hear it was a minor issue. :) This seems to be a fairly common problem.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
Do NOT run the car like that! You are horribly over-spooling the turbo! That's probably why it was squealing!

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn't even a turbo issue afterall?
So, let's go over this. The intake tube popped off. So, the car doesn't see boost, so it keeps the wastegate completely closed. The turbo will route all exhaust gas through the turbine, instead of out the wastegate, therefore, it will infinitly keep accumulating speed until the amount of oil is insufficient to lubricate the turbo, the journal bearing makes contact with the shaft, instantly wasting the bearing. This causes the shaft to seize, or break, thus causing the 200,000RPM+ shafts to make contact with the housing, instantly wasting the turbo.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn't even a turbo issue afterall?
So, let's go over this. The intake tube popped off. So, the car doesn't see boost, so it keeps the wastegate completely closed. The turbo will route all exhaust gas through the turbine, instead of out the wastegate, therefore, it will infinitly keep accumulating speed until the amount of oil is insufficient to lubricate the turbo, the journal bearing makes contact with the shaft, instantly wasting the bearing. This causes the shaft to seize, or break, thus causing the 200,000RPM+ shafts to make contact with the housing, instantly wasting the turbo.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, so the moral of the story is: if your turbo stops working and makes a ton of crazy noise, pull over and call the Honda Roadside Assistance.
Absolutely. Sometimes a turbo can 'grenade' as well when they overspool like that, but it's so rare I didn't bother mentioning it.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, shutter down and call Honda. Car is under warranty. If you keep driving it like that Honda might try and put it back on you. I would if I was the Honda man who called all the shots. If someone was silly enough to keep driving there car like that when something is obviously not right! Not saying you did @mrmcwake !
Sponsored