Beyond irritated at my paintwork

eighty(one)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
i purchased my Civic at the very tail end on January - love the car - but I've got some paint issues.

I've heard issues of body shops not matching the factory paint perfectly, though, should I expect a dealership fight on these?

I've never washed my vehicle by hand and I want this fixed, as I believe these are natural defects and there is no impact, dings or scrapes to show otherwise:

Honda Civic 10th gen Beyond irritated at my paintwork 1178B5F8-AB31-4507-A6F8-F15E2DC56E47_zpszenkskat

Weird lighter spot in the paint on passenger side door

Honda Civic 10th gen Beyond irritated at my paintwork 4FD63DBD-622B-499C-9BE6-E59A68551EAD_zpskz08jztc

Honda Civic 10th gen Beyond irritated at my paintwork 3359AA64-0F85-4CCA-9EBA-60D2E1413F23_zpsgvhxja

I noticed the weird discoloration, thought nothing of this until I was loading groceries and really looked at it, seems like the paint has had pressure and curled and flaked off.

Should I expect a fight from the dealership?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Can't tell you what to expect, but the dealer probably can't/won't do anything on paintwork without Honda pre-approval. Not entirely sure what I'm looking at/for in your images, but my initial reaction is that it almost looks like a result of a door fit/interference problem. If so, that's got to get fixed first. In the absence of any signs of parking lot rash or some post-delivery environmental cause (you park next o a chemical plant, say) the dealer should be wiling to take the case to Honda and Honda will probably authorize some form of repair.

Edit: scratch the part about door fit/interference. Just looked at my pictures. The car isn't built like I was remembering. Where are we looking? I don't see a join like that around the wheel well except between the rocker fairing and the fender. I'm not seeing door in the last two pictures. (Or the first one, for that matter.)

Last edited:
OP
OP

eighty(one)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Can't tell you what to expect, but the dealer probably can't/won't do anything on paintwork without Honda pre-approval. Not entirely sure what I'm looking at/for in your images, but my initial reaction is that it almost looks like a result of a door fit/interference problem. If so, that's got to get fixed first. In the absence of any signs of parking lot rash or some post-delivery environmental cause (you park next o a chemical plant, say) the dealer should be wiling to take the case to Honda and Honda will probably authorize some form of repair.

Edit: scratch the part about door fit/interference. Just looked at my pictures. The car isn't built like I was remembering. Where are we looking? I don't see a join like that around the wheel well except between the rocker fairing and the fender. I'm not seeing door in the last two pictures. (Or the first one, for that matter.)
The picture with the blob, is on the rear driver side door panel.

The second set is the back slant seam, where the rear bumper meets the body - by the tire.

I'm worried the dealership will say I damaged it somehow, when I've never physically touched tended the paint.

I do touchless washes, to prevent swirls.

The paint curling and flaking off worries me, that if unattended will spread....

Expertise? Advice?

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
only advice is to take it to a dealer

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All you can do is ask. Make sure the dealer writes up an RO on the bumper cover problem so even if they can't get Honda to do anything about it now, you've documented the issue in case any of the follow-on problem you are concerned about occur.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here (red outline)? Wonder if they snagged the bumper cover when they were installing it?

Honda Civic 10th gen Beyond irritated at my paintwork DSC03534 marku

Last edited:
OP
OP

eighty(one)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Here red outline)? Wonder if they snagged the bumper cover when they were installing it?

DSC03534 markup.jpg
That's the spot - there was actually a fanned out piece of paint, which caught my attention - almost as if it's rubbing from pressure. I touched the fanned out pice and it flaked off. Worrying, as I love the car - but a repaint - especially if non factory, on the seam and doing the door too, could significantly affect my value, correct?

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Worrying, as I love the car but a repaint - especially if non factory there and if they do the door too, could significantly affect my value, correct?
Tough to say. If it's done well, it should be very hard to spot even if you know what/where you are looking. If you sell it with very low mileage, in otherwise excellent condition, ten years from now and those two spots are the only spots on the car where, say, the clear coat is less than showroom perfect, then they might be a significant factor in value. There are lots of factors in a car's value. Touch-ups here don't seem like they should be significant against most of the other possible factors. A used Civic is never going to be looked at like, say, a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO.

OP
OP

eighty(one)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I spoke with my tint guy yesterday, as he had to redo sligh bubbling in a window and he has 20+ years of experience and working with dealerships:

He believes the peeling at the rear panel is a firmest issue, snagged at install when car as assembled.

The spot on The door, he said looked to him as if there was something that tried to be covered up, based on the size and the small area blending.

If the spot is true, which it must be - because I haven't touched the paint - I'm pissed that the dealership covered it up and didn't disclose and did a bad job blending it.

I will fight tooth and nail, as a repaint will not hold up without factory baked on clear coat.

This is/was a new purchase.

Now I don't know if an incident happened when they performed the engine recall or pre-sale - hopefully there is a record I can uncover on Monday

nurvcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC TOURING 1.5L TURBO CVT 4DR // 2001 IS300 2JZ 3.0L // 2000 F250 CCSB 7.3L
Country flag
wow ya i would talk to dealer and see about that that paint like that coming off is not normal....

alstigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX CVT
I have a Burgundy NP and feel the same. The paint looks great but the quality seems low grade, it scratches too easily.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
I have mine 2 weeks and have a similar issue. I was washing and waxing the car since it is such a nice day. I noticed a spot just like yours, but the thing that really had me worried is I am noticing pinhole sized rust spots in the middle of the hood. I am calling the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully something can be done. I know honda had a bad rep in previous gens, but was hope 2016 would be better :(

OP
OP

eighty(one)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I have mine 2 weeks and have a similar issue. I was washing and waxing the car since it is such a nice day. I noticed a spot just like yours, but the thing that really had me worried is I am noticing pinhole sized rust spots in the middle of the hood. I am calling the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully something can be done. I know honda had a bad rep in previous gens, but was hope 2016 would be better :(
I'm interested to see what this looks like.

Today, I had my appt at the dealership, with the manager - he took photos to send over to Honda and assuming he gets easy approval, he said this could be resolved quickly. I would be taking it to the dealerships' Factory certified Honda Collision/body shop.

He didn't know what the spot in the door was, he did ask if I'd done anything to it - however, I stressed I haven't even hand washed yet (swirl fear). He said that should be an easy remedy (prolly because they did it originally, and covered it up hastily).

The bumper he said will need a complete repaint, and I did inquire that "It would 100% match?"
-

If it doesn't I'll keep taking it back.

Right now, a repaint devalues and I wish there was a remedy to eat the loan and put me in a different one...

To poster above, the BNP looks insanely gorgeous although it seems to mar easily.

In fact, I get soooo many compliments on this color, it's unreal. I was way down the road from my dealership today; and I'm at a stop light. The old old silver haired African American man, is flailing like crazy at me through my passenger window from his vehicle. I roll down the window: 'What is that'; I say it's a Civic; 'No guy, what color is thaaat?!?'; I reply 'Burgundy Night Pearl'; 'Well that's some pretty shit, that there!', 'Wheewww, that is some pretty good looking shit!'
- he was so enamored by the color I got so happy! :)

OP
OP

eighty(one)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Update:

Inspected paint thoroughly this evening, what is happening?

Honda Civic 10th gen Beyond irritated at my paintwork 10BE6CCF-92CC-4E0E-9B59-99B7D4601047_zps3novvaeu

Honda Civic 10th gen Beyond irritated at my paintwork F574EF43-C778-497B-A51D-35BB1F4E7863_zpseanpdcwi

Honda Civic 10th gen Beyond irritated at my paintwork D738A665-861B-4241-8916-292C504F7EDF_zpshxhuncov

This is above right front wheel

Kevin35623

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 honda accord
About your problem with the wheel well I can't be sure by just looking at your picture but I think that it is just a paint issue from the factory if it's what I think it is it just went unnoticed through the plant
Sponsored