Better brakes?????

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Now that i've made my HB Sport a bit quicker I've noticed that the OEM brakes are completely inadequate at stopping/slowing down from high speed/spirited driving, especially on the highway, scary actually so has anyone upgraded pads/rotors on these? A BBK is overkill I think but the right pads/rotors should be just right. Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm waiting for Brembo to make some blanks and then some EBC pads should do the trick. I also haven't seen any stainless braided brake line options.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd start with pads and maybe fluid if you are boiling yours. I've personally been a fan of Hawk pads. In case you did not already know, more aggressive pads will of course slow you quicker but they will also create more noise and dust.

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Unless you're doing track events, those rotors will probably end up being a waste of $$$.

Just get better pads
For less than $250 I'd just as soon do it all new than new pads on OEM rotors,

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
I'd start with pads and maybe fluid if you are boiling yours. I've personally been a fan of Hawk pads. In case you did not already know, more aggressive pads will of course slow you quicker but they will also create more noise and dust.
Not overheating or tracking just wanted better/quicker stopping when driving spiritedly.......LOL

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not overheating or tracking just wanted better/quicker stopping when driving spiritedly.......LOL
Hawk has several different braking compounds. The HPS (high performance street) compound may be a good balance of improved performance and low NVH/dust for you. (if they make a pad for the CivicX yet)

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
For street driving the best way to improve breaking distance is to get performance tires. Unless you are overheating your brake pads changing your brake system with have minimal impact. Are you standing on your brakes? are you not able to get to ABS braking?

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
For street driving the best way to improve breaking distance is to get performance tires. Unless you are overheating your brake pads changing your brake system with have minimal impact. Are you standing on your brakes? are you not able to get to ABS braking?
Just looking for shorter stopping distance from a high speed, highway driving and fun street driving

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Just looking for shorter stopping distance from a high speed, highway driving and fun street driving
Different brakes won't help. You should be able to get to abs braking by standing on your brakes. The limiting factor is the tires.

track focused brakes work better at increasing high temperatures so they might even be worse depending on how aggressive you chose.

OP
OP
hawk02

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
OK so better brakes with more bite won't work? Glad I asked as that's the first I've heard of this in the 30+ years I've been working on cars, maybe it's just this car....had this issue after modding my SRT10 RAM and did EBC brakes with OE tires and it was night and day, thanks for all the responses, keep them coming so I can sort this out. I know stickier tires would defiantly help but wasn't ready to go that route YET......$$$$$$, they will be coming at some point. Coming from all the other types of cars/trucks I've owned to this car is a learning curve for sure......

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OK so better brakes with more bite won't work? Glad I asked as that's the first I've heard of this in the 30+ years I've been working on cars, maybe it's just this car....had this issue after modding my SRT10 RAM and did EBC brakes with OE tires and it was night and day, thanks for all the responses, keep them coming so I can sort this out. I know stickier tires would defiantly help but wasn't ready to go that route YET......$$$$$$, they will be coming at some point. Coming from all the other types of cars/trucks I've owned to this car is a learning curve for sure......
The idea that better pads won't help at all is a bit of a stretch. In an emergency braking situation where you are standing on the pedal yes tires may be a big factor but for improved overall braking performance during spirited driving I think an upgraded pad would of course be beneficial.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The saying in racing is: Brakes don't stop the car; tires do.

'Better' brakes address feel and fade; however, as long as you can engage full ABS then tires are the limiting factor in stopping distance, not the brakes - as Totopo states.

Of course, if you don't want to press as hard for the same amount of braking, then different pads may offer more bite so one perceives that the brakes are 'better' - but stopping distances won't change until you change tires.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The saying in racing is: Brakes don't stop the car; tires do.

'Better' brakes address feel and fade; however, as long as you can engage full ABS then tires are the limiting factor in stopping distance, not the brakes - as Totopo states.

Of course, if you don't want to press as hard for the same amount of braking, then different pads may offer more bite so one perceives that the brakes are 'better' - but stopping distances won't change until you change tires.
Well stated. This is what I had in mind but you said it much better than I did.
Sponsored