Are the rear brake rotors on the Si (and other models) defective?

ice raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 AGB Civic Si
Country flag
Cant say ive looked at my rotors lately but nothing wrong with braking performance after 7500 miles. As far as your grooving goes. It's something to keep an eye on but i wouldnt sweat it. Unless you feel rotor shake or braking performance degrading THEN i would be more concerned. I work on audi's all day and see grooved rotors way worse then those with 10mm of brake pad left and no issues with braking. Is it something i write down and advise? Yes. But i wouldnt say its a need right away thing. You should be fine and not worry about it like others have said. Just enjoy the car. If they start to go....time for a brake upgrade!
Sponsored

Boosted_si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Vehicle Showcase
I just went to get my 2017 si inspected and it did not pass due to my rear rotors. I did notice a small shake when braking at highway speeds. Car only have 14k miles on it. Honda dealer said they would replace them under warranty only because it had low miles for the rotors to go bad.

Honda Civic 10th gen Are the rear brake rotors on the Si (and other models) defective? DD4A95B8-9ADA-4CF3-823A-56991B2C3B47

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Make you bleed all the air out of the braking circuit in the rear. In both 10th gen's I;ve bought I have bled out several air bubbles in the the rear.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Boosted_si : those brakes were not working at all. That's why the disc is all rusted.
So the problem is not the disks, it's the rear braking system on that wheel.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
Had my 18 Si brakes looked at by the dealer today and they said they're fine and tried charging me a $20 inspection fee, hahahaha, My issue is they feel warped when braking anything over 40mph, Feels weird and has vibes/pulsing in the steering wheel. I only commute and rarely even use the brakes so its gotta be something because I have owned a lot of Hondas and none of them did this...
I also had a intermediate shaft bearing lose all its grease but they replaced under warranty.
10,500 miles, stock car.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
i have a question. do you have a problem when u touch the brake pedal do you feel like grinding when u push it?

Yes, mine feels grabby, grindy and pulses a bit.
Can feel it in the pedal and steering wheel.
Wheel is not shaking yet but feels like it will soon. I have had 15 Honda’s over the years and mainly civics and never had a car do what the 18 SI is doing but my local dealer claims it’s fine.

Cocain.civic

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Country flag
I also have the same problem on my 2017 civic si. Its on the rear driver side. All other brake rotors are fine. Took it to a honda dealership and has blame me for excessive braking. Anyways lol any solutions? Been looking to replace my rears brake pads and cant find anything. Checked autozone n etc. I Just want to get this fix. Either they are out of stock or dont carry rear brake rotors. Any remediation? Where did you guys buy your brake rotors?

P.s.when are they going to make a big brake kit for the rear car?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Aggressive braking habits might be a factor. I have over 20k on my 17 Si and the brakes feel fine, as does the clutch. Heck even the stock all seasons seem fine for another year.

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Yes, they are. For 5000KM, i had them changed, at the dealer, under warranty, by new ones, of best quality
prvided by Honda. One year later, they always are fine.

hawkman199

First you get smooth, fast comes all by itself.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000 (sold), 2018 Civic Si, 2021 Type R (pending)
Country flag
Yes, they are. For 5000KM, i had them changed, at the dealer, under warranty, by new ones, of best quality
prvided by Honda. One year later, they always are fine.
Indeed the rear brake rotors are crap. The dealer is replacing my rotors and pads under warranty with only 16K kms, on the car, mostly highway driving.

When I put my summer wheels on, I inspected the brake pads. The LH outer pad was almost down to the steel, and the inner was like new. The RH side was not quite as bad, but not great either. The rotors are heavily corroded. Also, getting pulsing under braking.

The fronts look like new,

Ziaro7

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'll have to take a picture of my right rear rotor, but about 1 inch of the rotor material is already worn away on about 19k miles and the other 3 rotors are fine and clean. I won''t have time to bring it in to Honda until next month though, I thought maybe some rock or dirt was eat away at it, Anyone know why it is happening?

Apone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2015 Lexus RC-F
Country flag
26,000 miles, mine look terrible. The fronts had to be replaced and the shop was having some trouble sourcing the rears. Most part numbers were wrong. The fronts were replaced with Akebonos which were the stock BBK on my G37s. That original set of rotors lasted almost 100k miles, and believe me I drove them exactly the way I drive this car. As my 3rd Honda, I can confidently say that I warped the rotors on all 3 from just driving them hard, but none of my other cars suffered so greatly under my left foot for some reason. I think Honda tries to make them light for car handling, gas mileage etc...but they won't last under any hard use.

hawkman199

First you get smooth, fast comes all by itself.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000 (sold), 2018 Civic Si, 2021 Type R (pending)
Country flag
26,000 miles, mine look terrible. The fronts had to be replaced and the shop was having some trouble sourcing the rears. Most part numbers were wrong. The fronts were replaced with Akebonos which were the stock BBK on my G37s. That original set of rotors lasted almost 100k miles, and believe me I drove them exactly the way I drive this car. As my 3rd Honda, I can confidently say that I warped the rotors on all 3 from just driving them hard, but none of my other cars suffered so greatly under my left foot for some reason. I think Honda tries to make them light for car handling, gas mileage etc...but they won't last under any hard use.
Yeah, it's odd, because my S2000 rear rotors are perfect and they have been thru six years of track abuse, to the point of turning blue from the heat. A set of stock pads would last about 2 track days, but the rotors are run true, with no run-out.
So I know Honda can source good product.

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
In my opinion,if there is only one rotor at the rear damaged or if the pads are worn unevenly, it is because
the caliper is defective or blocked because it has not been maintened ( lubrication ).
I had the brakes serviced at 16000km because here, a lot of salt is spread , in winter, all over the road network.
The 4 rotors are fine and the pads have only 10% wear. The mechanic congratuled me, i replied:
It is my accelerator pedal that's 60% worn out !
Sponsored