ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Can people share their data stock vs aftermarket. Lot of people saying that there's hardly a difference between mishi, 27won, PRL Cobra CAI, (not going to mention Injen for obvious reasons) People saying it's mostly for sound.

Does anyone have any solid data with their findings? Wondering if it's worth installing this PRL CAI or not here in SoCal now since I keep seeing a lot of old threads saying its not much of a difference. It's hot bro.
Sponsored

Deleted member 51112

Unless you are tuning at the same time an intake gives you zero benefits unless you count hearing your turbo a bit more a gain. Your ECU on a stock tune will dial back any extra power you may otherwise get by leaning your engine out with an intake. Some intakes can actually be a heat soak detriment if you idle a lot.

Klamkhowder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
I’m by no means an expert in this subject but my impression was always that a cold air intake allowed for a denser air fuel mixture as well as having a cooling effect on said mixture which reduces predetonation and by extension knock control.

so yeah on the stock tune it won’t do much. Because even if it advances timing which adds a little power, it’ll likely pull boost or something else in order to meet the stock tunes pre programmed torque target.

OP
OP
ValkenDnB

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I’m by no means an expert in this subject but my impression was always that a cold air intake allowed for a denser air fuel mixture as well as having a cooling effect on said mixture which reduces predetonation and by extension knock control.

so yeah on the stock tune it won’t do much. Because even if it advances timing which adds a little power, it’ll likely pull boost or something else in order to meet the stock tunes pre programmed torque target.
With that being said, would it be better since it technically lowers IAT’s?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CAI is slightly beneficial with a tune with the amount of cold air it brings, I forget the specific numbers but maybe 20-30 degrees lower

I got a short ram intake because of occasional heavy flooding during my commutes, I heat soak like a bitch sometimes but honestly the turbo sound was worth every penny and adds a lot of character

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Max performance and loudest sound from a Cold Air Intake get the PRL Cobra Cold Air Intake. Good performance and best hydrolock proof protection from severe heavy rain and floods get the 27WON Cold Air Intake which is essentially a hybrid (Cold Air + Short Ram).

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The Mishimoto Intake would be a good choice for California folks who don't want to remove and revert back to stock intake for a smog check as the Mishimoto is California CARB legal. Although it performs the worse compared to the 27WON and PRL Cobra I believe.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Aftermarket intakes are worth it. It can benefit you whether you have a stock ECU or tuned. Every little bit of extra ponies you can get counts although your MPG may go down slightly.
Sponsored