OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sounds like you need a beater!
Ahah actually I'm planning on getting a 2nd car maybe this year. I drive in stop and go traffic in NYC almost every day because of work but I absolutely love driving this car. Don't really want to settle on a cheap beater but I'm considering different options such as an LS400/430, Miata, maybe a 350Z.

Although if I do pick up that second car it'll likely have a nice set of wheels on it eventually so I guess in due time I'll need a daily.. for my daily.. for my daily.. andddd down the rabbit hole we go :spaz:
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Yeah man. Sucks that we live in a world where we always have to have the worry of another person stealing what we worked hard for... Seen way too many cars on bricks in my time at college and also sometimes around my area, shitty people in this world
i had my S13 stolen back in around 2005 or something like that when i was going to college. walked out to my car after class and the car was nowhere to be found. Found it 3 weeks later totally stripped out. Its a pretty shitty feeling.

ever since then, im always careful of where i park.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i had my S13 stolen back in around 2005 or something like that when i was going to college. walked out to my car after class and the car was nowhere to be found. Found it 3 weeks later totally stripped out. Its a pretty shitty feeling.

ever since then, im always careful of where i park.
Ah shit :( always heart breaking man it's the worst feeling.

When I was in college I parked in a private parking deck with cameras, quite possibly the safest place to park (I thought at the time). Parked there mid day for a few hours, came back to my car at like 3pm to my windows smashed in, radar stolen, shoes stolen, some money, and my sunglasses. Turned out none of the cameras on my floor where I parked worked. Tough world man

aerodynamics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2020 Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
I don't have anything against reps. Your money, do as you please. But it sounds to me if you get the ESRs, it will always be in the back of your mind that you should've gotten the real deal (hence why you created this thread). So my advice is to get the Work wheels and be done with it. However, if it were me and the roads are as bad as you say they are, I'd stick with stock.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
I think the final conclusion should be <> Do not buy any new wheels. You are most likely 100% better off just using what is on your car and you don't need anything better than what they are. You drive your own car and can't see or feel the wheels making a difference while you are just normally driving which seems to be what you do. Save your money in case you need it for other bills to pay or to buy food or pay for sickness or electricity. You will loose the projected worry and be very happy without a new set of wheels.
... Or you can pay a fortune teller to read your palm and decide what to do. (just a joke)

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes absolutely, if I can find a set of used ones in decent condition I'd pull the trigger on it. Where do you recommend to look? I'm in a FB group called "Rare Wheels Awareness" or something like that which posts used authentic wheels a lot but not sure where else to look.

And I resonate with the bolded part lol, I got an FKX catless downpipe for free and had a weld blow in it after 6k miles. In the long run it costed me more to replace back to stock (needed the car fixed asap) and also gave me unnecessary worry.
Yeah, I know that group well, and its definitely not the place.

Look at pages like 5x114 classifieds, all the 10th gen Civic and for sale pages, marketplace, etc. Deals are out there if you are dilligent.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
"Real" wheels are nice, but somewhat overrated on a streetcar, IMO.

I've owned and bent both.

As for which to buy? Whatever you can afford. I would exercise due diligence on any brand you are not familiar with though. As previously said, you can often get a nicer used wheel at the cost of a new cheaper wheel.

When it comes time to sell, it's almost a given you are going to lose money.

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
this thread was fun to read lol (especially from mister if you cant afford real wheels you shouldnt mod your car lmao gtfo)

tbh if all you can afford is reps then go with reps they are cheap and easy to replace if you damage one.

but if you can afford to wait a few more months to get the wheels you want then do that!

also with the worry of stealing nothing is safe... im on tacomaworld a lot for my truck and a dude had his long travel suspension stolen out of his truck when he was at work... if they want to steal it they will or as others have said they will destroy your stuff because they cant get it ive seen that before where someone cut open a rtt (roof top tent) and destroyed a 1200 dollar tent just because they couldnt access the mounts to take it off.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the money to do so, always go with the best. That's obvious.

Most of us at CivicX are on a budget... I mean we drive econoboxes. But like most of you, I've always heavily modded my cars both for performance and personalization.

When it came time to buy new wheels and tires my budget was small. I replaced my stock 17" / crap Firestone combo (that weigh nearly 49 lbs) with an 18" wheel / DWS06 combo that only weigh 42.8 pounds total. That's a nice upgrade if you ask me and was all I could afford.

Plus they will transform the look of my car (waiting til winter is over to install them).

$160 wheels/$140 tires x 4 = $1200 (price includes mounting, road force balance, lug nuts, hubcentric rings)
Honda Civic 10th gen Are "Real" wheels really worth it? Screenshot_20200611-082202_Chrome-01

Sure, they may not hold up as well as something that costs 3 times as much but it will give me better performance and better looks. Keep in mind I just commute with the car to work mostly. And I'm saving my OEM wheels as backup (or for winter driving).

And finally, I wholeheartedly apologize to the guy who said I shouldn't be modding my car because I cant afford "real wheels". Sorry I broke his sacred rules.

Last edited:

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just my point of view here. I'm an older guy who's been modding cars since the 1970's. Yes I've been around.

Most of us at CivicX are on a budget... I mean we drive econoboxes. But like most of you, I've always heavily modded my cars both for performance and personalization.

When it came time to buy new wheels and tires my budget was small. I replaced my 49 lb. stock 17's / crap Firestone's combo (that weigh nearly 49 lbs) with an 18" wheel / DWS06 combo that only weigh 42.8 pounds total. That's a nice upgrade if you ask me.

Plus they will transform the look of my car (waiting til winter is over to install them).

View attachment 277183

Sure, they may not hold up as well as something that costs 3 times as much but it will give me better performance and better looks. And I'm saving my OEM wheels as backup (or for winter driving).

And finally, I wholeheartedly apologize to the guy who said I shouldn't be modding my car because I cant afford "real wheels". Sorry I broke his sacred rules.
the attachment no work sadly...

edit:nvm it works now

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just my point of view here. I'm an older guy who's been modding cars since the 1970's. Yes I've been around.

When it came time to buy new wheels and tires my budget was small. I replaced my stock 17" / crap Firestone combo (that weigh nearly 49 lbs) with an 18" wheel / DWS06 combo that only weigh 42.8 pounds total. That's a nice upgrade if you ask me and was all I could afford.

$160 wheels/$140 tires
Screenshot_20200611-082202_Chrome-01.jpeg

Sure, they may not hold up as well as something that costs 3 times as much but it will give me better performance and better looks. Keep in mind I just commute with the car to work mostly. And I'm saving my OEM wheels as backup (or for winter driving).

That's some crazy poke you have there Mitch. Any rubbing?

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag