Are "Real" wheels really worth it?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I'm set on which set of wheels I'll be picking up after winter and it's a set of white Work Emotion Kiwami's/Kai's

Honda Civic 10th gen Are "Real" wheels really worth it? 1614259175243

The thing is.. there are exact copy replicas out there that you honestly wouldn't tell the difference and it would also save me around $1000. If I were to get replicas, I'd likely get ESR SR08

Honda Civic 10th gen Are "Real" wheels really worth it? 1614259301536

Literally cannot tell the difference aside from the obvious Work markings. Although I'm sure real wheels will always be better in terms of quality etc., is it that much better to justify spending another $1000? I'm in NJ/NYC area and I have garbage roads all around me, I dodge 99% of them but there's always that one hidden pothole that I unfortunately hit. If I unluckily hit a massive pothole, I don't think it matters real/fake wheels, most will be bound to have some sort of crack or damage. I also don't want to run the risk of my car getting left on blocks and wheels stolen... sad but it happens sometimes around my area and some parts of Jersey, would be a lot less mad having an $800 set stolen rather than $1800.

Is the extra $1000 worth it? ESR wheels have without a doubt built up their reputation over the years and I haven't seen any bad cases with their wheels like XXR's (lol), will quality matter that much even when I hit a massive hole? This is my daily driver and I don't baby the car, it's driven hard through all seasons but if I did get works I'd likely just put stocks back on for winter. Thanks!

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hit a stupid big pothole once and you'll figure out why there's such a price difference.
Yeah this is the main difference I see, thing is I've seen real wheels get cracked and fucked up. Avid's, RPF1's, etc. But my counter opinion was if I crack ESR's, I can just get a replacement for $180 instead of spending more to repair Works. Then again maybe I'll be buying a lot of replacements vs. repairing once lmao very conflicted

sguler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Sport Plus
Country flag
wheels and tires are the only thing that touches to the ground. I wouldn't get replica or cheap stuff on a critical parts like wheels or suspension system.

always go OEM or well known brands that produces parts with R&D

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Wheels are a safety item. If a wheel fails, you're in for a hell of a ride.

Do you think some no-name company with zero presence cares at all about your safety or any sort of certification?

There's zero harm in Chinese or Taiwanese parts, it's the Quality Control that matters the most. 2nd rate brands don't throw out rejects, they throw'em in and don't care.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

There's only so many original designs out there. Weight is the biggest trade off

There are solid budget friendly brands out there. I count ESR as one along with Avid Motegi Konig

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Of course, I've owned a couple sets of Rotas. I destroyed them on track. Yet the volks I treated the same way always held up.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Some ESR’s I had 7-8 years ago. I slid into a curb at 10 or 15 miles an hour in a blizzard and cracked that piece of the lip off. It wasn’t even hard enough of a hit to stop my momentum. When I got to work I found my tire flat and part of my lip missing. I went back and retrieved the broken a piece and a couple months later I decided to fix the wheel (cause I was broke and cheap af).

Point is, a light impact and that portion of the wheel broke so easily. I decided I’d never buy cheap ass wheels again.
Honda Civic 10th gen Are "Real" wheels really worth it? 6339DF46-53C3-4416-A754-B385709F525E

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
For street use, most wheels that places like Tire Rack and Fitment sell are good enough. If you have money for forged, go for it.

I know purists will say replicas are garbage and they are firm in that belief. Short of a massive pothole most wheels are decent.

What you get with high end is a better combo of weight and sturdiness.

Last edited:

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I rocked avids for like 30k miles on the horrible upstate new york roads. Took countless MASSIVE pothole hits and no issues whatsoever. Yes, they weigh more, but if you live somewhere with crappy roads there is absolutely zero sense in buying expensive wheels for your daily (and I know this is yours lol) and once you have an issue with one and have to replace it for the cost of an entire set of say Avid's... you'll wish you went with the low cost.

Now, if it's more a show car or track car, there's 100% merit to getting the nice wheels.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I paid “only” ~$1400 for my gram lights. I run a set of te37 on my other car. If you can’t afford wheels, then you shouldn’t be modding. Like many others have said, it’s the only thing that is 100% on the ground at all times. I have had enkeis, 5zigen and oz racing at various other times. But I will probably only go with rays from now on.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
Opinions are like wheels, there are very many, good and bad, you get the point.
Now, here is my opinion. For me, I would take the lower priced wheels that I like because I don't really care if you or anyone else approves of what brand I buy. I am not rough with my car and I am pretty sure any wheels would be fine for me. If I knew for a fact, that paying more for wheels would be better for me and my needs then I would certainly pay more for them. I think most all wheels will suffice for anyone for a daily driver, I would focus on getting good tires because that is what really makes the biggest difference. Also, as said, If I scratch a $500 wheel vs a $150 wheel, I would be much more upset. Once you have to get new tires installed somewhere, you may find that the installer scratches it up mounting and balancing the new tires.
... So... What pleases you? That is what you should do.

'18FK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it worth it to YOU? Are Volks/Works built better making them a stronger and lighter wheel? Yes I don’t think there is a doubt about it. But they aren’t indestructible like people make them out to be. The truth is there are A LOT of people who have been running Avids/ESRs/Motegis etc. for a long time with zero issues. It’s your money, spend it how YOU want to.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
its your money, buy what you want. It's only worth if you think its "worth" it.

Me personally? I wouldn't buy replicas.
Sponsored