Anyone ever have honda install a spoiler?

BCexplorer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura integra
I have a 2016 coupe touring in CBP which I want to have the factory spoiler installed. I realize this will probably cost me a grand to do but I want to get my local Honda shop to order the part and install it. I've read that they have to drill holes in the trunk to do this should I be worried this will mess something up? I live in the PNW so it rains here constantly and do not want any water leaking in etc. Please let me know your thoughts thank you.
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
How does the way they'll do it differ from how it's done from the manufacturer?

OP
OP

BCexplorer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura integra
Just unsure if the installers at local shops are as handy as the factory workers that's all

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Well, that's the crux of the issue, isn't it? The factory doesn't seem to have issues with remembering to install oil drain plugs... Dealers, not so much. Of course, YMMV.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, that's the crux of the issue, isn't it? The factory doesn't seem to have issues with remembering to install oil drain plugs... Dealers, not so much. Of course, YMMV.
Who knows what the manufacturers forget. The vehicles are inspected upon delivery

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
I'm pretty sure at the factory, the trunklids are made with the spoiler mounting holes punched in the sheet metal. They don't have factory workers hand drill holes after painting.

That said, you'll have to figure out for yourself if you trust them to do it. Ideally, a hole is a hole and the spoiler mounts will seal over it just like the factory installed spoiler. If you have a dealership do it, at least you should have warranty and they will be liable if it does leak.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The dealer will use the Honda Service Manual which has detailed instructions on the install. Also, a template will be used for the placement of the spoiler and hole locations. Not a big deal at all.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the dealer install mine. No issues with leaking so far, but they did leave pieces of stuff inside the trunk lid that rattles around :(

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had the dealer install mine. No issues with leaking so far, but they did leave pieces of stuff inside the trunk lid that rattles around :(
That would infuriate me

rhuel

First Name
Rhuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
TL;DR version - dealers are VERY hit or miss with who is doing the work. Some "techs" shouldn't be changing oil let alone drilling holes into your new car.

Old thread revival, but I was a Honda Technician from 1990-2000 and let me tell you, there is a huge skills gap between the top technicians and the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) technicians. PDI techs' jobs are to take the cars off the truck, peel off any protective materials from sheet metal and wheels, add washer fluid, check tire pressures, insert a couple fuses, wheel locks, and put an inspection sticker on it. Pretty straightforward stuff and easy for a low-skilled or "new guy" to do.

Depending on the dealership (I worked a couple different ones), they'd have the PDI tech do just the basic stuff and have the experienced techs do accessories or the PDI techs would do everything. At the one dealership, they would have the experienced guys install the accessories. I installed in-dash phones (early 90s), mud guards, moonroof visors, pinstripes and the dreaded decklid spoiler. I was meticulous in pretty much everything I did as a technician, but was super paranoid about getting a decklid spoiler installed perfectly for the reasons the OP was concerned about. You do have to drill holes, there will be some paint that chips off even if you apply tape to the areas to be drilled before drilling, so touch up paint should be used in those areas and allowed to dry before a 2nd coat is applied (rarely happens that the spots get touched up at all, let alone applying a 2nd coat) and the holes sealed well. It's been 20 years and they may have changed the process and parts used, but I recall the the spoiler having a rubbery material adhered to the underside of it to act as a sealer. I also think the bolts used had a rubber washer on them to keep any water that may get past the underside rubber on the top from leaking into the trunk.

If done properly by someone with pride in what they do and attention to detail, you'll be in good shape. However, I've seen so many hacks that called themselves technicians butcher unsuspecting owners' cars, it literally wasn't even funny. I've seen holes drilled in the wrong spot(s) - off just enough that the holes on the spoiler won't match up, but not enough that a new hole beside the original was possible, so the guy would just dremel out the hole or use a file to oblong the hole in order to get the holes in the spoiler to line up, to guys using heat guns to work a cold weatherstrip into place and bubble paint on the roofline (this guy was a repeat offender on many things BUT he had a sleeve's worth of ASE certification patches), and so many more horror stories, I can't remember them all.

For anyone reading this far (not the OP as this is from over a year ago) I guess you could ask the service writer/manager if you could have one of the "good" techs do the work and don't let them tell you they're all "good" - they know who the "good" ones are before having the work done.

It's a game of russian roulette finding a "good" tech to work on your car. That's the worst part of being a "good" one and then getting out of the business and having to rely on shops to do the work that I no longer can do in my own garage - things I'd need a lift for (rear main seal in my daughter's GTI) but don't have.

Best of luck to everyone finding a "good one"! hope the OP did.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TL;DR version - dealers are VERY hit or miss with who is doing the work. Some "techs" shouldn't be changing oil let alone drilling holes into your new car.

Old thread revival, but I was a Honda Technician from 1990-2000 and let me tell you, there is a huge skills gap between the top technicians and the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) technicians. PDI techs' jobs are to take the cars off the truck, peel off any protective materials from sheet metal and wheels, add washer fluid, check tire pressures, insert a couple fuses, wheel locks, and put an inspection sticker on it. Pretty straightforward stuff and easy for a low-skilled or "new guy" to do.

Depending on the dealership (I worked a couple different ones), they'd have the PDI tech do just the basic stuff and have the experienced techs do accessories or the PDI techs would do everything. At the one dealership, they would have the experienced guys install the accessories. I installed in-dash phones (early 90s), mud guards, moonroof visors, pinstripes and the dreaded decklid spoiler. I was meticulous in pretty much everything I did as a technician, but was super paranoid about getting a decklid spoiler installed perfectly for the reasons the OP was concerned about. You do have to drill holes, there will be some paint that chips off even if you apply tape to the areas to be drilled before drilling, so touch up paint should be used in those areas and allowed to dry before a 2nd coat is applied (rarely happens that the spots get touched up at all, let alone applying a 2nd coat) and the holes sealed well. It's been 20 years and they may have changed the process and parts used, but I recall the the spoiler having a rubbery material adhered to the underside of it to act as a sealer. I also think the bolts used had a rubber washer on them to keep any water that may get past the underside rubber on the top from leaking into the trunk.

If done properly by someone with pride in what they do and attention to detail, you'll be in good shape. However, I've seen so many hacks that called themselves technicians butcher unsuspecting owners' cars, it literally wasn't even funny. I've seen holes drilled in the wrong spot(s) - off just enough that the holes on the spoiler won't match up, but not enough that a new hole beside the original was possible, so the guy would just dremel out the hole or use a file to oblong the hole in order to get the holes in the spoiler to line up, to guys using heat guns to work a cold weatherstrip into place and bubble paint on the roofline (this guy was a repeat offender on many things BUT he had a sleeve's worth of ASE certification patches), and so many more horror stories, I can't remember them all.

For anyone reading this far (not the OP as this is from over a year ago) I guess you could ask the service writer/manager if you could have one of the "good" techs do the work and don't let them tell you they're all "good" - they know who the "good" ones are before having the work done.

It's a game of russian roulette finding a "good" tech to work on your car. That's the worst part of being a "good" one and then getting out of the business and having to rely on shops to do the work that I no longer can do in my own garage - things I'd need a lift for (rear main seal in my daughter's GTI) but don't have.

Best of luck to everyone finding a "good one"! hope the OP did.
It's a year later since my spoiler was installed and it had to be re installed by another dealer cause it wasn't put on correctly. It literally got loose and started leaning backwards, pulled the clips out in the front, and lifted that rubber gasket stuff away from the paint.
The dealership that I went to got this repair actually sent it out to a body shop cause they said the repair was beyond what they could fix.
They actually reinforced the spoiler from underneath and used some type of Epoxy they said. Claimed Honda's way of doing it wasn't very good to begin with.

rhuel

First Name
Rhuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It's a year later since my spoiler was installed and it had to be re installed by another dealer cause it wasn't put on correctly. It literally got loose and started leaning backwards, pulled the clips out in the front, and lifted that rubber gasket stuff away from the paint.
The dealership that I went to got this repair actually sent it out to a body shop cause they said the repair was beyond what they could fix.
They actually reinforced the spoiler from underneath and used some type of Epoxy they said. Claimed Honda's way of doing it wasn't very good to begin with.
Dang. Sorry to hear that. Happens far too often. Glad you got it "fixed" and hope it lasts.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I drilled holes for the decklid spoiler on my LX sedan. You’ll save money doing it yourself for sure. Finding an 8.5mm drill bit that’s required will be difficult.

Just make sure you use some touch up paint to protect the exposed metal from drilling the holes, and let it dry properly before getting too excited and installing the spoiler.

The coupe spoiler is really nice. Just dont spend 1000$ for it. The dealer will give you an instruction manual and the spoiler will come with a template.

***IMPORTANT***
The spoiler will come with trunk lid torsion springs that are stronger than the stock ones. They will be able to support the extra weight of the spoiler on your trunk. However, the spoiler will not come with the special tool needed to install them. This is where they get you. It’s a 50$ tool. Also, very easy to break the clips that hold the springs in place.

Last edited:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had spoiler dealer installed on both my 16 and 19 coupes. 16' coupe had a tiny piece rattling inside from drilling, but no issue with my 19'. Never had any leaks or issues otherwise. Also worth noting both cars came from different dealerships. I ordered the spoilers during lease negotiations both times, so was able to get half off the total cost of the spoilers easily.
Sponsored