Any Guesses on When We'll Get Info on the 2018 Models?

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was looking at the UK Honda Website and they have so many great options for their Hatches, including active dampening plus a ton of other options not available here in the US. Hopefully Honda will bring some of these over for the 2018 models.. would love to get a Hatch with carplay and 6MT
You already can get CarPlay with 6MT in Canada. We only have LX, Sport, and Sport Touring trims here, and all 3 have the display audio standard (with CarPlay and Android Auto), and all 3 are available with 6MT, with the Sport trim in Canada being equipped like the EX trim in the US. So it shouldn't be that difficult to make them available on US models.
Sponsored

chiefbrody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
You already can get CarPlay with 6MT in Canada. We only have LX, Sport, and Sport Touring trims here, and all 3 have the display audio standard (with CarPlay and Android Auto), and all 3 are available with 6MT, with the Sport trim in Canada being equipped like the EX trim in the US. So it shouldn't be that difficult to make them available on US models.
too bad its not easy to import a Canadian model over here, welp fingers crossed Honda gets their shit together for MY18

dragynslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport w/ HS
Country flag
yep thats what i drive. In canada it's almost impossible to find that base display audio that seems more common in the US> it's only available in Canada on the "DX" sedan, which I never see on the road. I don't think the US even has this DX model - it's like 16,400 CAD (works out to under 13,000 USD - wow!)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
There will probably be some small tweaks but nothing worth writing home about. There was a rumor that Sensing may get added some 6MT packages like the CTR and Si. But it might not be offered until they refresh the front bumpers and other components for 2019 MMR.

Last edited:

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
According to this, it looks like they are adding direct injection to the base 2 liter engine.

Civic Sedan, Coupe
CARRYOVER

• The Civic Sedan and Coupe feature modern, aggressive styling, a roomy interior, and two available powertrains: a naturally aspirated direct-injected i-VTEC four-cylinder, or a 1.5-liter direct-injected VTEC Turbo, each mated to either a six-speed manual transmission or CVT with Honda G-shift design. With a refined yet sporty ride, excellent fuel efficiency, impressive features and Honda Sensing® all continue to make the carryover 10th generation Civic the most advanced in its history.

dragynslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
According to this, it looks like they are adding direct injection to the base 2 liter engine.

Civic Sedan, Coupe
CARRYOVER

• The Civic Sedan and Coupe feature modern, aggressive styling, a roomy interior, and two available powertrains: a naturally aspirated direct-injected i-VTEC four-cylinder, or a 1.5-liter direct-injected VTEC Turbo, each mated to either a six-speed manual transmission or CVT with Honda G-shift design. With a refined yet sporty ride, excellent fuel efficiency, impressive features and Honda Sensing® all continue to make the carryover 10th generation Civic the most advanced in its history.
I thought the base engine was direct injected. More interestingly is that the turbo will have VTEC in 2018? I believe the turbo in the UK already has VTEC but ours in North America do not in 2016/7.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
I thought the base engine was direct injected. More interestingly is that the turbo will have VTEC in 2018? I believe the turbo in the UK already has VTEC but ours in North America do not in 2016/7.
Honda Canada website lists the 2 liter as port injection. So, either that vtec.net site made an error saying carry over, or they are going direct injection for 2018.
From Honda Canada website:2.0-litre, 16-valve, Port Injection, DOHC, i-VTEC® 4-cylinder

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
To summarize:
  • The base NA 2.0 is port injected.
  • The 1.5T is direct injected with Dual VTC (non-VTEC). That's across all variants, despite being marketed internationally as VTEC.
  • The 2.0T and the international 1.0T are direct injected with Dual VTC and variable lift (VTEC).
Those configurations are not expected to change in 2018.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-...technical-presentation-specs-pics-videos.454/

Honda Civic 10th gen Any Guesses on When We'll Get Info on the 2018 Models? honda-1.0-turbo-2-850x1186

Honda Civic 10th gen Any Guesses on When We'll Get Info on the 2018 Models? honda-1.5-turbo-1-850x1228

Couldn't find the technical layout for the CTR but the Accord 2.0T is very similar (but will have a more efficient valvetrain).

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I truly don't know and can't imagine what the deal is with the severe shortage of 6MT civics. Whatever the problem, Honda had better fix it before the Koreans eat their lunch.
That's easy. The market for manual transmissions outside of the enthusiast market is incredibly small so manufacturers don't make many, but they advertise them because it makes for a more attractive starting price.

There are people on this very forum wanting automatic Si and Type R Civics (!), but that's about as unlikely as Honda making more manual "regular" Civics. There are plenty of Si to go around (about 3 for every dealer in the US as of this post). There's no shortage of manual Civics - you'll just need to get the right trim level to get it. :)

When Honda announced the 2018 Accord, they acknowledged a "save the manuals" campaign and have expanded the availability of a manual in the Accord. In reality, we'll see very few of them in existence because that's simply not what the vast majority of people want.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
That's easy. The market for manual transmissions outside of the enthusiast market is incredibly small so manufacturers don't make many, but they advertise them because it makes for a more attractive starting price...
I've heard this argument before and it's bullshit. Look, does Honda offer 6MT on some of their models? Why yes. They do. Then make them and sell them. If Honda has enough production capacity so that dealers have stock of every model and trim (and they do except for the type R) then produce enough manuals to slake demand. It's as simple as that.

chiefbrody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag

I've heard this argument before and it's bullshit. Look, does Honda offer 6MT on some of their models? Why yes. They do. Then make them and sell them. If Honda has enough production capacity so that dealers have stock of every model and trim (and they do except for the type R) then produce enough manuals to slake demand. It's as simple as that.
Honda's Response: Nah

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
.I've heard this argument before and it's bullshit. Look, does Honda offer 6MT on some of their models? Why yes. They do. Then make them and sell them. If Honda has enough production capacity so that dealers have stock of every model and trim (and they do except for the type R) then produce enough manuals to slake demand. It's as simple as that.
Imagine a Honda dealer that received 100 Civics - 50 automatics and 50 manuals. On average, each Honda dealer sells about 1 Civic per day. Think about how long it will take them to sell the 50 automatics. 6-8 weeks, perhaps? Probably. Now, think about how long it will take to sell the 50 manuals. In this case, "if you build them they will [not] come". The people don't want manuals. A number of us "enthusiasts" do, but we represent a tiny segment of the general population. There's your answer as to why there are so few manuals.

dragynslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Imagine a Honda dealer that received 100 Civics - 50 automatics and 50 manuals. On average, each Honda dealer sells about 1 Civic per day. Think about how long it will take them to sell the 50 automatics. 6-8 weeks, perhaps? Probably. Now, think about how long it will take to sell the 50 manuals. In this case, "if you build them they will [not] come". The people don't want manuals. A number of us "enthusiasts" do, but we represent a tiny segment of the general population. There's your answer as to why there are so few manuals.
Agreed. My friend just got a 2017 honda accord sport - sedan (2 months ago), he wanted a manual. They only had 3 left in all of Ontario! Yes the new models are coming but only that few left? So suffice to say, he couldn't pick the colour he wanted
Sponsored