Any 2017-2018 Civic Si owners have rough shifts?

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My '17 with 5k miles on it crunches into second and sometimes fourth, but I wouldn't say it's gear grind. Sounds like it's only coming from the console near the shift knob and no where near the transmission. I've grinned gears once; completely different sound.
I think @ACUITY mentioned something about the it being the transmission and not the shifter or clutch. I think it was the pressure plate rubbing or something...
Sponsored

Phylanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 CRV, '17 Si Sedan
Country flag
Only at 7.5k but still have the crunchy feel on 2nd and 4th.

Seems like a possible fix would be to remove the clutch delay valve or bleed the transmission fluid and fill again.

I’m more or less used to the crunchiness now so not sure if I’ll do anything in the future. Still bugs me every now and then though...
I'm @ 5K and still have that slight crunchy noise in the even numbered gears. Mostly 4 and 6. I also did the Clutch Delay Valve Delete and changed to the PRL SS Clutch Line. Didn't help with the crunchy feeling. It's gotten better over time, but only marginally.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
I think @ACUITY mentioned something about the it being the transmission and not the shifter or clutch. I think it was the pressure plate rubbing or something...
To me it sounds like plastic crunching noise, non-metallic. Definitely sounds right by the shift knob.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I occasionally feel a 2nd notch when shifting up to 2nd or 4th. Most times it's a single click into gear.

Under normal driving, try giving it an extra half second between shifts before engaging the gate.

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I'm @ 5K and still have that slight crunchy noise in the even numbered gears. Mostly 4 and 6.
When you're pulling the shifter back for even numbered shifts, you're pushing the wire through the shift cable resulting in a bit of "springiness" and a less direct engagement.

When you're pushing the shifter forward for odd numbered shifts, you're pulling the wire through the shift cable resulting in a more direct shift.

These types of shift cables are called "Bowden cables". They can be designed for pull applications (such as bicycle brakes) or push/pull applications (such as a shift cable). For push/pull applications, they are capable of withstanding a higher pull force than push (compression) force. If you exceed the pull force, the inner cable may break. If you exceed the compression force, the cable may distort.

Last edited:

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I occasionally feel a 2nd notch when shifting up to 2nd or 4th. Most times it's a single click into gear.

Under normal driving, try giving it an extra half second between shifts before engaging the gate.
I sometimes get the "clicky" shifts as well. But mostly when the trans oil hasnt fully warmed up.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think it has a lot to do with what zroger73 described and shifter cables in general. The gold standard will always be the S2K's gearbox. But the design is much different, partly due to it being directly bolted to the transmission housing via a linkage assembly.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I remember my 9th gen si always grinding when I put it in reverse that was so annoying! Shifting into gears feels the same from this gen to 9th and to mention sometimes when I put it in first it gets a little stuck so I put it back in neutral then bring it to first gear again. my 9th gen also did that a lot

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have 11k miles on her and it is still notchy. 1st to 2nd is the worst. Definitely not the shifter Honda is known for and certainly the worst out of all the Honda's I have owned since the 80's.

yyalb

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen Civic Si
Country flag
Over 9500mi on my SI. I also have experienced almost-grind 2-3 occasionally, and noticeable resistance 3-4. I think It must be the sychros' problem. I just start to learn double clutch shift recently. It greatly improves the smoothness of gear change when I do the rev-match right. Sometimes you can feel the shifter being 'sucked' into a gear.

OP
OP
FC1Dawn

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My '18 Si shifter has never shifted smoothly. Whether at a standstill with the car off or while driving it feels very notchy and clunky. For me it's not the clutch but the actual shift arm. I thought it would get smoother with time but now with 14,000 miles on it, it has maybe gotten marginally better.
I have the same feeling, its notchy and clunky often. I'm on fairly low miles so I hope it gets better soon.

My '17 with 5k miles on it crunches into second and sometimes fourth, but I wouldn't say it's gear grind. Sounds like it's only coming from the console near the shift knob and no where near the transmission. I've grinned gears once; completely different sound.
Yeah, you described this pretty well. It's exactly where you mentioned. It's like in the area between the parking brake and the sport button or something.

I'll try to keep that in mind!

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Occasionally I'll feel a gear tooth but not often.
IDK. I think it's a Japanese vs German thing. In a Fiata I drove, it felt the same. It's like shoving a rod into a running meat grinder some times in 3rd or 4th. I felt that also in the 370Z and maybe the Pontiac Solstice. But a Cayman, a BMW 3, a Golf, and even a lowly Ford Ka felt super smooth like flipping a joystick almost.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Maybe I'm in the minority but I really like the click into each gear- it feels like I'm locking the shifter into place. I am not a fan of shifters that have no feedback.
Yeah I was gonna say some like it notchy. But when I said joystick, I only meant that the action (very light) feels like a joystick, but all of the German cars I mentioned had great feedback with very light action. You just lightly flick the shifter and it'll "pop/snap", and you'll feel it, into gear like there's a magnet pulling it into gear. I guess if you can imaging snapping a glass fuse into your house fuse box. That feeling, but imaging the fuse is made of rubber and you only very light action to push it in. That feeling. It's like a magnet sucking the shifter into that fuse holder.

Last edited:

CTGT2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Not sure what the OE fluid is on the Civic, but that might have something to do with the notchiness. A lot of the newer manual cars are coming filled with basically ATF in them. I had an old BMW 325i with a 5 speed that would always bite second when cold. Changed the fluid to GM Synchromesh and it never had an issue again.
Sponsored