Aftermarket windshield with sensing - no go, and HOA battle

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Hey guys, after two cracks in a three month period, the second one was not repairable and had to be replaced. I called geico and requested OEM glass as I have read that Honda does not guarantee the accuracy of the related sensing systems if aftermarket glass is used. Geico assured me this would be no issue. 2 days before the scheduled replacement, I got a message from safelite saying that geico denied my request for OEM glass and if I wanted it I would have to pay the difference. The day before, safelite called and said that they didn't have OE glass in stock (after telling me they did) and my only option to keep my appointment is aftermarket. So, I did. Guess what? The lane keep assist wouldn't calibrate and I got sent home with it not working. They called me back early this week to say they made a mistake and didn't use the calibration equipment correctly and would be back out today to calibrate it.

Guess what? Still didn't calibrate due to the camera not sitting in the OEM glass properly. So now they have to order OEM glass and I have to mess with this a third time in a week to do what I asked them to do in the first place.

The glass breakage is one of several issues and complaints I'd sent in a letter to Honda of America. A lady called me from there earlier this week and was a rude, impatient, condesending twit who clearly did not even read my letter prior to calling. We didn't get past the first complaint before I'd had enough and hung up on her. The first complaint was the ridiculous horrible operation of the head unit and android auto. Immediately she asked what phone(s) I used and I told her an S8 and previously a note 4. She asked if I had been on their site to confirm the phone was on their tested or approved list. She looked it up and informed me the most current phone they have approved is a galaxy s6 edge. I googled the release date of that phone, and told her "I just googled this and that phone came out mid-2015 which was before the damn car was even released".....which is my primary complaint that no software updates are being made to a clearly buggy, piece of shit working system. She rudely replied "I am not talking about google today". The call didn't last much longer once she threatened to hang up since my tone of voice became unfriendly. She kept on the same track of not even trying to understand my concerns and instead deflecting blame on me not scouring craigslist for a 2+ year old used phone to make their system work properly. I'd had enough and hung up.

I paid off the car, and the minute the title shows up it is for sale. Lifelong honda fan here....my last car, an 07 civic ex coupe I bought new was the best car I have ever owned. I'll never deal with Honda again.
Sponsored

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Tim, I am sorry to hear that you are having so many issues with the car. I been reading your posts from awhile back and having rude custom service at Honda can break the straw so to speak. I came from a 2007 Honda Civic and loved it, the only regret was the horrible paint. I myself have a couple small nicks on the windshield and once I came on the forums and saw this was a known issue I feel like it is only a matter of time.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Hey Tim, I am sorry to hear that you are having so many issues with the car. I been reading your posts from awhile back and having rude custom service at Honda can break the straw so to speak. I came from a 2007 Honda Civic and loved it, the only regret was the horrible paint. I myself have a couple small nicks on the windshield and once I came on the forums and saw this was a known issue I feel like it is only a matter of time.
Bummer.....I too had the same "matter of time" outlook after reading the windshield issues. I was right. The aftermarket glass looks pretty nice, so I would not object to having it if I didn't have sensing.

On the 07's....mine was tafetta white which held up awesome, despite only washing it a few times a year> I have seen lots on the road with paint flaking away to the primer though. I also had 300k miles of debris and abuse to that paint (with 0.0 windshield chips or cracks, much like all the other vehicles I owned the previous 700k or so miles I have driven). This one...two major windshield damages in 3 months. It's not just dumb luck. I don't even think it is the glass itself. I believe it is the way the air comes over the nose which guides things directly into the windshield.

The only kind of issue I ever had with my 07 was the engine block cracked at 165k miles which was a well known problem. Honda didn't care about warranties or mileage, they did the right thing and took care of ALL of those cars regardless of the mileage or warranty status. One of the many stand-up moves that put a ton of confidence in me with their company. What happened to those guys??????

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Safelite Are a bunch of crooks. Their customer service is a joke.
Sponsored