Windshield Replacement on Models with Honda Sensing

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short, the area around where I live has a lot of construction and trucks that I always try to avoid in case of windshield damage, and lo and behold, I get a small crack on my windshield - about 1/4".

It's not bad, and I opted to just get it filled in at a local glass repair shop. It's not perfect, but it should keep it from getting bigger - and since it's somewhere on the passenger side anyway, it wouldn't bother me too much.

My only concern is (or question), if these windshield repair companies have experience in replacing a windshield with the Honda Sensing box on the windshield, and if anyone else had theirs replaced already.

Insurance covers windshield replacement for free, but didn't want to get it done yet for a small crack - and one local company already told me they couldn't order the windshield from their distributor because it's so new, and their suggestion was getting it from the dealer (which I feel like I would have to pay out of pocket - not really sure how that works going thru the dealership for windshield replacement).

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Sensors and whatnot are nothing new, so glass installers shouldn't have a problem.

Make sure you get the windshield for the touring and now the lower trims, as they are different part numbers.

Also, since insurance is covering replacement, if the only available replacement is from the dealer, it's still up to the insurer to do it. Call your insurance broker and work it out through them.

Whimsey12000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
I'm curious about this too. I got a nasty crack that has now spread. I thought my sensing system was starting to act up but then realized it's because of the chip and Crack interfering. ( it runs right over it) I ended up turning off most of the sensing options for now.
I called Speedy Glass Repair and it will be approx 3 weeks til I have a window!!!

OP
OP
timothyjay

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely keep that in mind if I decide to get it replaced. I'm a little weary about getting it fully replaced right now since there's constructions going on around my area at the moment, so I'll hold off on it until they get further along.

The fix on my windshield isn't too bad, it went from a 1/4" crack to a 1mm tiny hole so it's at least not that too noticeable.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
It'd be interesting to see prices on windshield replacements (insurance doesn't cover ours in GA without filing a full claim and paying deductible) to see if there's a difference. I've heard "rain sensing" windshields are often a lot more (ie: Touring).

Whimsey12000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
Got my window replaced...the window came from Honda..up here in Canada installed was just over 500.00
I have the Touring model

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I had a chip filled, but the online quote for replacement with Safelite was $1,064.95!

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
FWIW, list price for the OEM glass is USD$525.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Got a tiny chip in mine from a small rock near the top, crack ran all the way around the sensor block and half way down the passenger side. Not happy about looking at a ~$800 bill for something that seemed so minor, on a brand new car.

cslaughter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5 EX-T
Wow these all seem cheap. We had our vehicle for 2 weeks and my wife took a rock to the window. I called the local auto glass place, they looked into the window and said that they needed factory glass from Honda. Insurance wanted to double check that, so they did, and confirmed that it would need to be factory glass.

$1200 to have the front window on our 2016 Civic replaced! Then they suggested taking the car to Honda to have the sensors re-calibrated. Not sure how much that cost, but I think the insurance will also pay that too. Glad I got that glass coverage. I usually pass on that.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those who haven't checked it out, Edmunds Blog has the 2016 Civic and had experience with Windshield replacement:

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/...2016-honda-civic-cracked-windshield-saga.html

Is the high cost just due to the fact that its a new design? Is it related to the Honda Sensing models or is it a problem with Rain Sensing or a combination of all 3? On Safelite's website, using just their "Quick Quote", the costs quoted are "just" $378 - $420 depending on model.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Last week, car took a hit from a rock at about 45mph. The impact left about a 0.75-1" crack in the windshield, driver's side. Received a quote for $995 from a reputable glass place & windshield will come directly from Honda. The windshield is backordered till July 5 from the dealer. According to Geico rep, there will be no aftermarket or OEM glass until next year.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last week, car took a hit from a rock at about 45mph. The impact left about a 0.75-1" crack in the windshield, driver's side. Received a quote for $995 from a reputable glass place & windshield will come directly from Honda. The windshield is backordered till July 5 from the dealer. According to Geico rep, there will be no aftermarket or OEM glass until next year.
Ugh. Is your vehicle just a base EX (no Sensing)? That's concerning.
Sponsored