Windshield Replacement on Models with Honda Sensing

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
To wake up an old thread. I recently had a sheet of ice fly off a semi and hit my window around the sensor. Nothing cracked, but clearly it knocked the sensor out of alignment because it now insists I'm never driving in my lane and if I let it have control, it will pull me fully into the lane to my left. There has to be a way to get in there and realign that camera. The dealers around here are idiots, so "take it to the dealer" is not an option I'm willing to consider right now.
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To wake up an old thread. I recently had a sheet of ice fly off a semi and hit my window around the sensor. Nothing cracked, but clearly it knocked the sensor out of alignment because it now insists I'm never driving in my lane and if I let it have control, it will pull me fully into the lane to my left. There has to be a way to get in there and realign that camera. The dealers around here are idiots, so "take it to the dealer" is not an option I'm willing to consider right now.
Unfortunately, unless you have the calibration equipment necessary to re-align and recalibrate the camera, there's not a reliable way to do it on your own. I had to replace my windshield and my only options were either Safelite or the Honda dealership to calibrate the camera. I went the Honda route. So far so good.

Worthy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic coupe touring
Country flag
Unfortunately, unless you have the calibration equipment necessary to re-align and recalibrate the camera, there's not a reliable way to do it on your own. I had to replace my windshield and my only options were either Safelite or the Honda dealership to calibrate the camera. I went the Honda route. So far so good.
How much did it cost?

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much did it cost?
IIRC, It was like $295. And took them about half day to do it. I had a quote as high as $400!

AndyT

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Touring Sedan
Country flag
Just to add to this cluster...

We purchased our Touring at the end of December 2020 from Carvana. My delivery driver told me that the windshield was just replaced prior to the car being dropped off. Everything was great, except the LKAS, lane departure warning, and RDM never would work. The LKAS text in the cluster was green, and the "hollow" lines would appear, but never fill in solid white - it never detected any lane markings.

This is a Fuyao brand windshield, but it does not have a Honda logo. Likely an OEE (original equipment equivalent) piece of glass. I have an appointment with the local Honda dealership tomorrow morning to have it checked out, but we all have a feeling that the glass will need to be replaced with an OEM windshield.

While I was at the dealership the other day, I took a look at 3 used Civic hatchbacks they had there with Sensing (and their original windshields). The cameras in those cars looked like this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement on Models with Honda Sensing IMG_4222.JPG

The camera in our Civic looks like this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement on Models with Honda Sensing IMG_4223.JPG

It makes me wonder if that "shroud" around the lens itself is bonded to the glass, or if it is just a separate replacement part that sits up behind that box on the windshield. If it's bonded to the glass, then I can understand the need for OEM Honda glass. Otherwise, maybe we can just get away with replacing that "shroud" which is clearly wrong on our vehicle with aftermarket glass.

Any input/insight would be appreciated! Otherwise, I'll provide an update when I return from the dealership tomorrow!

EDIT: I'll take a walk outside and see if I can get a better picture of the camera in our Civic.

Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement on Models with Honda Sensing IMG_4240.JPG

Yeah, clearly this can't be right. The lens isn't even centered in the "ramp" and the "ramp" isn't even lined up with the "cut-out" in the glass.

Last edited:

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
It’s not bonded to the glass, and yeah that’s not right. Is carvana going to pay for the repair?

AndyT

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Touring Sedan
Country flag
I have to bring it to my local service department tomorrow morning to get their take on the situation. Carvana wants a RO showing my complaint, the service departments response, and a quote to have the work done. Once they have that, they will determine if they are going to take care of it.

Now, this is partially on me - our 100 day Carvana warranty just expired. But, I made sure to mention it to our delivery driver after our test drive, but I guess he didn't make note of it. Of course...

AndyT

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Touring Sedan
Country flag
Alright, so...

Dealership ended up doing a recalibration on the camera. So far, it seems to have done the trick. As soon as I got on the highway, it picked up the lines and followed the lane keeping me right in the center. Previously, on the rare occasions it would detect lines, it would bounce me from side to side within the lane. The lane departure warning actually works now as one would expect, and the road departure mitigation also appears to be functioning. Hopefully it continues; we're heading down to visit family in Florida in just under a month, and also planning on hitting the Keys - it would sure be nice to have the LKAS work for that trip. I'll keep everyone updated!

AndyT

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Touring Sedan
Country flag
So far so good with the dealership recalibration! All Sensing systems are still working as they should.
Sponsored