30,000 mile recommended maintenance

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
true. but i’ll be at 60k next year and the powertrain isn’t going to take a dump by then.
Check if your insurance has mechanical breakdown coverage. My insurance gave me 7 years or 100k miles coverage on all mechanical problems.
Sponsored

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
What is an A/C filter? Is that just the cabin air filter?

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I got recommneded the 30,000 milestone maintenance at a Honda Dealership the other day, and was a little shocked with the price. I’m curious to see the rates that other people paid. Basically included on top of the Minder B oil change and tire rotation, and engine/ac filter replacement (already at about $227) was:

CVT Transmission Fluid drain/fill - $154.35 ($73.35 parts, $81 labor)
Fuel Induction System Clean - $159.34 ($51.39 parts, $107.95 labor)

Does this seem like a fair cost? It might just seem high to me since I knocked everything out at once. I typically trust Honda Service depts pretty well. Thanks for any input!
Assuming it's the same in the US, use the online booking system - it tells you exactly what they charge for each service and you can compare that with what you paid (keeping in mind extras and taxes aren't included in the booking system).

I don't think what you've paid is particularly expensive for a 30,000 mile service.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
... no? Your b2b is over, your 5 year/60,000 powertrain is still in effect.

There are no "e" in the word "warranty"
He just wants to guarantee his warranty. :)

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Last week took mine in for oil/filter and brake fluid flush at 4 pm appointment. Left dealer, and called at 4:50 pm as dealer closes at 5. Couldn't get through to any human about whether car is ready to pick up. Drove down there, 5 minutes away to discover they didn't even touch the car. Left pissed and took the car to Great Canadian Oil Change who did the oil/filter in 15 minutes. The dealer called next day to say it seems like you missed your service appointment. SMH Never again going to dealer.

OP
OP
OKCivic

OKCivic

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex-T
Country flag
Many years ago, it was time to change oil + filter on my 1990 Civic. But it was winter and there was snow and ice on the street where I always did the changes. Miraculously a coupon arrived from the Honda dealer offering an oil + filter change for a great price. The afternoon after I had the work done, I checked the oil level and it was a full inch OVER the full line. Took it back the next day. They took it in the shop and shortly brought it back. They did not even apologize. I checked the level later and it was right on the full mark. Moral of the story: SDAlexander8 is totally right. They don't care about your car as much as you care about your car. Some tech probably does 10+ boring oil changes a day and is day-dreaming about whatever. You do one every few months and totally concentrate on your own car!
That makes sense. I would still rather put all liability on the dealership rather than myself, in the case that something goes wrong.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last week took mine in for oil/filter and brake fluid flush at 4 pm appointment. Left dealer, and called at 4:50 pm as dealer closes at 5. Couldn't get through to any human about whether car is ready to pick up. Drove down there, 5 minutes away to discover they didn't even touch the car. Left pissed and took the car to Great Canadian Oil Change who did the oil/filter in 15 minutes. The dealer called next day to say it seems like you missed your service appointment. SMH Never again going to dealer.
Poor communication, clearly. My experience with the dealer wasn't perfect, but it was acceptable. They were very busy - cars double parked for service. I was told 3-hours - they called 5-hours later, but it was ready to go.

I can't really complain about that. Have you given thought to a different dealer, rather than a third party garage?

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Poor communication, clearly. My experience with the dealer wasn't perfect, but it was acceptable. They were very busy - cars double parked for service. I was told 3-hours - they called 5-hours later, but it was ready to go.

I can't really complain about that. Have you given thought to a different dealer, rather than a third party garage?
No, not at this point in time. 3 yr. warranty is up at end of July so will do other regular maintenance somewhere else and keep receipts for powertrain warranty. To add, I also went to a different dealer last week for an engine air filter (close to my dr. where I had an appointment) and the guy sold me the wrong filter. I haven't replaced it yet as car only has 18k miles on it so I didn't know what it looked like. I did purchase one for my sister's 2007 civic and this one was different. I asked guy at counter why this one was $10 cheaper than a 2007 one and he said some older ones cost more so I didn't think anything of it. Get home and sure enough, it was not the correct one.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No, not at this point in time. 3 yr. warranty is up at end of July so will do other regular maintenance somewhere else and keep receipts for powertrain warranty. To add, I also went to a different dealer last week for an engine air filter (close to my dr. where I had an appointment) and the guy sold me the wrong filter. I haven't replaced it yet as car only has 18k miles on it so I didn't know what it looked like. I did purchase one for my sister's 2007 civic and this one was different. I asked guy at counter why this one was $10 cheaper than a 2007 one and he said some older ones cost more so I didn't think anything of it. Get home and sure enough, it was not the correct one.
Shitty. Sorry you had such a poor experience with the dealers.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
have a pretty good dealer in central florida,regal honda.took the car in for warranty work(tailight has condensation).they ordered the part and replaced it for free a week later,and the car came back clean.

brotard

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I got recommneded the 30,000 milestone maintenance at a Honda Dealership the other day, and was a little shocked with the price. I’m curious to see the rates that other people paid. Basically included on top of the Minder B oil change and tire rotation, and engine/ac filter replacement (already at about $227) was:

CVT Transmission Fluid drain/fill - $154.35 ($73.35 parts, $81 labor)
Fuel Induction System Clean - $159.34 ($51.39 parts, $107.95 labor)

Does this seem like a fair cost? It might just seem high to me since I knocked everything out at once. I typically trust Honda Service depts pretty well. Thanks for any input!
I did my CVT fluid myself in about an hour for $51, so that seems a little high to me.

brotard

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
These are lube tech services. They're about as qualified to work on your car as the people working at mcdonalds down the street. And trust me, they don’t care about your car as much as you care about your car. You’d be surprised how often kids at dealerships make engine-destroying mistakes when doing simple oil changes.
I went to jiffy lube to get my emissions done and they broke my OBD reader... :doh:

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Never do filter change at dealer. Never.
Sponsored