OKCivic

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex-T
Country flag
I got recommneded the 30,000 milestone maintenance at a Honda Dealership the other day, and was a little shocked with the price. I’m curious to see the rates that other people paid. Basically included on top of the Minder B oil change and tire rotation, and engine/ac filter replacement (already at about $227) was:

CVT Transmission Fluid drain/fill - $154.35 ($73.35 parts, $81 labor)
Fuel Induction System Clean - $159.34 ($51.39 parts, $107.95 labor)

Does this seem like a fair cost? It might just seem high to me since I knocked everything out at once. I typically trust Honda Service depts pretty well. Thanks for any input!
Sponsored

mforcino

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
I got recommneded the 30,000 milestone maintenance at a Honda Dealership the other day, and was a little shocked with the price. I’m curious to see the rates that other people paid. Basically included on top of the Minder B oil change and tire rotation, and engine/ac filter replacement (already at about $227) was:

Does this seem like a fair cost? It might just seem high to me since I knocked everything out at once. I typically trust Honda Service depts pretty well. Thanks for any input!
I just had my 30,000 mile work done and it was only the cvt drain/fill.

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
I would say the costs are normal, but doing it yourself would always be cheaper (my warranty is up this month). For example, my minder for brake fluid change came up and it's $118 + tax. Meanwhile, I just bought a liter of brake fluid for like 10 bucks and will do it myself.

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
for a dealership to charge that amount is at an average price range. Ask if they do the BG or Wynn's for the induction clean, depending on the dealership it might be BG and ask for the cans. This can be done by anyone for like $30. Adding trans fluid is a simple drain and fill with loads of guides here on how to do so. In my opinion both are really good ways to go about this. cvt transmission so yes have that done to extend the life of that component.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
These prices are what dealerships will charge you for these services. They aren’t unfair, but I’ve done all of this myself for probably 100 bucks for oil, parts, and tools. Doesn’t include the tools I already owned before performing these tasks, so maybe that price will add up.

These services are nothing more than basic maintenance that you could do at home. You’d save a lot of money if you learned how to do them yourself.

Engine Oil change:
27$ for 5qt Mobil 1 oil at Walmart
9$ for Mobil 1 oil filter at Walmart
Crush washer for oil drain bolt $0.50
Time: about an hour

Engine air filter replacement:
15-25$ depending on brand. Store may have it, if not then Amazon
Time: 10 minutes
Tools: None on 2.0, a screwdriver for 1.5T

Cabin Air filter:
15-20$ at a store or Amazon
Tools: none
Time: 5 minutes (so easy)

Tire Rotation:
Free if you have jack stands, a floor jack, breaker bar, ratcheting socket wrench, torque wrench if you are anal about torque
Time: 30-45 with those tools

CVT oil drain and fill service:
4 quarts CVT oil was like 8$ a bottle at the Honda parts counter?
Time: 2 hours if you've never done it.

Fuel Induction service:
CRC Turbo&intake valve cleaner can 12$
Fuel system cleaner small bottle 7$
Throttle body cleaner?Even necessary for 30k mile car? This service is specifically for Direct Injection engines.

Last edited:

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
These prices are what dealerships will charge you for these services. They aren’t unfair, but I’ve done all of this myself for probably 100 bucks for oil, parts, and tools. Doesn’t include the tools I already owned before performing these tasks, so maybe that price will add up.

These services are nothing more than basic maintenance that you could do at home. You’d save a lot of money if you learned how to do them yourself.

Engine Oil change:

Cabin Air filter:

Tire Rotation:
Free if you have jack stands, a floor jack, breaker bar, ratcheting socket wrench, torque wrench if you are anal about torque

Fuel Induction service:
Throttle body cleaner?Even necessary for 30k mile car? This service is specifically for DI turbo cars.
But din’t you loose warranty if Honda can’t find the maintenance date and type in their online database(electronic service history)? Or isn’t that a thing there?

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
But din’t you loose warranty if Honda can’t find the maintenance date and type in their online database(electronic service history)? Or isn’t that a thing there?
you might have to keep track of it because if warranty is called upon that can be a way to negate the claim

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Not here. I haven't been to any service shop with my civic yet, and I'm not planning on it anytime soon for maintenance. My official service record is blank since the car purchased.

The first record could be fixing the AC on warranty soon.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree, do most\all of this yourself. And always fully document it. Keep a log book with dates, receipts, pics, weather, picture of newspaper over the hood, etc. (JK but you get the drift.) Warranty cannot be declined for doing your own work but without records it can be.

OP
OP
OKCivic

OKCivic

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex-T
Country flag

Engine Oil change:

Cabin Air filter:

Tire Rotation:

Fuel Induction service:
Throttle body cleaner?Even necessary for 30k mile car? This service is specifically for DI turbo cars.
Really appreciate the detailed feedback! I probably should learn, and know its quite feasible.. but I tend to lean towards paying the extra bucks for professionals to do it for me. Lol.

Michael's FC2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX sedan
Country flag
30,000 sounds a little low to be changing the transmission fluid already. I have no idea though I have a manual transmission, I know manual transmissions go a lot longer with the fluid.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im at 42,000 miles. My warrantee is over

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Really appreciate the detailed feedback! I probably should learn, and know its quite feasible.. but I tend to lean towards paying the extra bucks for professionals to do it for me. Lol.
These are lube tech services. They're about as qualified to work on your car as the people working at mcdonalds down the street. And trust me, they don’t care about your car as much as you care about your car. You’d be surprised how often kids at dealerships make engine-destroying mistakes when doing simple oil changes.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag

I just did my CVT fluid change at 30,000 miles. It was easy. costed me $58, my local dealership charges $168. i'm like no thanks, bro. But of course dealerships always find ways to fuc you over, they charged me a crush washer for the transmission nut $5.25, for one washer.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
... no? Your b2b is over, your 5 year/60,000 powertrain is still in effect.

There are no "e" in the word "warranty"
true. but i’ll be at 60k next year and the powertrain isn’t going to take a dump by then.
Sponsored