First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1981 Trans Am
Country flag
Hello everyone,

I am about to order a replacement drivers side fender for my 2019 Si. It appears some retailers exclude "Si" from the list, while others will say "except Si". This is for 2019-2020 Si's. I tried to get clarity from Honda online parts websites, 2 out of 3 I looked at show the 2019 fender as correct for 2019 Si as well as for EX, Touring, etc.. and 2020 all sedans same fender as for 2020 Si sedan. One Honda dealer shows the 2019 Si using the fender part number used on 2016-2018 models. I am 95% sure the 2019 fender used on all the other sedans is the right one but I wanted confirmation from fellow Si owners.
  • 2019-2020 Coupe/Sedan drivers side fender part number: 60261-TBA-A50ZZ (is this also for the 2019 Si?)
  • 2016-2018 Coupe/Sedan drivers side fender part number: 60261-TBA-A00ZZ (on some Honda parts sites it is also shown as for the 2019 Si)
  • Most retailers show 2019-2021 Sedan/Coupe fenders as for all coupes/sedans "except Si".
For my curiosity, I would love to know what is technically different between the 2018 and 2019 fenders. Photos online appear to be identical, but it is common for websites to just copy/paste of a previous part and throw that disclaimer (part may not be as pictured blah blah). BTW the front doors are the same part number 2016-2020.

Thanks!
Sponsored

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Probably some confusion regarding a revision in the way the wheel arch liner interfaces with the fender. In earlier years there is a tab on the fender near the side marker that holds up the liner, and in (I believe) 2019+ that tab is nonexistent. There may be other minor changes between the parts, but I don't believe there is anything that actually prevents any of the fenders from fitting correctly.

OP
OP

bandit81

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1981 Trans Am
Country flag
Hello LBP,

This is insanely helpful, exactly the insight I needed. THANKS!!! Basically it sounds like if in doubt, get the 2016-2018 fender and there will be a slot or tab that is not used. This explains why some vendors sell the 2016-2018 fender part number for the entire generation.

I suspect there may have been a few 2019 Si's that went down the line with 2018 fender liners and fenders to use up the remaining stock, though that doesn't sound like Honda. That is exactly what happened at GM with the Camaro's and Firebirds in the 60's and 70's though. Crazy example was with the dash cluster in 1978, sometime mid year GM switched to a quartz clock, they literally are physically different. I think they didn't advertise it or label it as a quartz clock until the 79 model, and this was at a time when every little upgrade was nickeled and dimed, cup holders didn't exist, and adding an ashtray cost $$$.

The Sky redline is a sweet car btw! Has anyone sold you on the idea of an LS swap? I think it is quite easy to do if you have the 5 speed manual.

Thanks,
Angelo

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yeah, midcycle revisions are quite common across virtually every OEM. I work in cost estimation and engineering consultation and the vast majority of my work is centered around automotive. I can tell you that if a cost-reduction design revision can be implemented during the vehicle's remaining lifecycle, pay for the retooling investment and other overhead and still have savings to spare, it's likely going to be implemented. Even $0.25 saved per vehicle can equate to >$150,000 saved per year when you're talking about an ultra-high-volume vehicle like the F-150. Of course, there are other ways to save cost, such as reducing warranty claims, but no sense in getting lost in the weeds here. My point is that by eliminating that fender tab along with its associated fastener and assembly labor penalty Honda was probably able to net a sizeable cost savings for the remaining production run with little effort and no reduction in quality. You should be able to use any non-Type R 10th gen fender, but may need to tweak that tab a little or something.

As for the Sky, thanks! I enjoy it a lot. It's a 5-speed, has never seen a drop of rain and has only 7,600 miles. The interior still has some of that new car smell. I've thought about an LS swap but for the cost and effort I'd be better off getting a pre-swapped Sky or Solstice like one of the Mallett cars if a V8 Kappa was the route I wanted to take. Some of the parts required for the swap such as specific accessory brackets are becoming unobtanium. For (relatively) inexpensive V8 power I think something like a C6 Corvette would be the best choice, tbh, since it's a great platform and already has a LS. I'm definitely not keeping the Sky stock, though. Within a few years I'll have its little 2.0L EcoTec squeezing out at least 400whp.
Sponsored