2019 Civic Si Sedan transmission question?

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
So,

Long Story Short I never got my type R, had one pre ordered but ended up getting a 2016 Miata Club.

So now I ended up leasing a civic Si and completely love it. I was sold on the test drive. I had test drove lots of other cars.

Anyway, I have a quick question all the forward gears 1-6 engage normally, have driver 2015 STi, Focus ST, GTI, Fiesta ST and Miata Club all manual.

So when I shift into reverse there is a mechanical clunking and jerking feeling everytime. It feels pretty rough. This is my first Honda manual driving so I’m not sure if it’s normal. After the rough period which last like about a second the car works fine in reverse. I am usually still moving forward when I’m shifting with clutch fully engaged before putting it in reverse and am basically stopped when I start to go in reverse.

Thanks in Advance,
A2Si
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While we can of course tell so much from your post, I'd say that what you are experiencing is probably not abnormal and may smooth out over time.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
So,

I am usually still moving forward when I’m shifting with clutch fully engaged before putting it in reverse and am basically stopped when I start to go in reverse.
A2Si
You must be fully stopped to enter into reverse smoothly. Syncros can only do so much.

yyalb

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen Civic Si
Country flag
So,

Long Story Short I never got my type R, had one pre ordered but ended up getting a 2016 Miata Club.

So now I ended up leasing a civic Si and completely love it. I was sold on the test drive. I had test drove lots of other cars.

Anyway, I have a quick question all the forward gears 1-6 engage normally, have driver 2015 STi, Focus ST, GTI, Fiesta ST and Miata Club all manual.

So when I shift into reverse there is a mechanical clunking and jerking feeling everytime. It feels pretty rough. This is my first Honda manual driving so I’m not sure if it’s normal. After the rough period which last like about a second the car works fine in reverse. I am usually still moving forward when I’m shifting with clutch fully engaged before putting it in reverse and am basically stopped when I start to go in reverse.

Thanks in Advance,
A2Si
I believe our car doesn't have a synchro for reverse, so it's not wise to shift to reverse while moving forward. Normally I would double clutch at neutral before shifting to R.
I'm also in A2! Glad to meet you some day! Go blue!

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
So,

Thanks in Advance,
A2Si
You need to be fully stopped before going into reverse.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes the reverse is a bit of funky gear to get into...you have to adapt a way of getting into it and just dealing with it.

OP
OP
A2typeR

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You must be fully stopped to enter into reverse smoothly. Syncros can only do so much.
Yup probably this, noticed it wasn’t there when stopped. Never had any issues with my other cars. But I guess I will try to stop from now on. Old habits die hard...

OP
OP
A2typeR

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I experience the same restriction/ "clunk" when going into reverse (always come to a complete stop). I figured it was due to the car being new (only have 650 miles on it), but maybe not if several others are still experiencing it.
Hmm maybe not lol.

It’s weird but only a lease so...

I will try the double clutch method

BenjieB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ Civic Si
Country flag
What I do is I shift it into first (holding the cluth) before putting it in to reverse, and it smooths it out :) Shud try it out

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I am not experiencing the issue with going into reverse as you are, for me it goes in easy as long as I am not moving forward. One suggestion I would make is when you get your first oil change, consider changing out the OEM MT fluid for Amsoil Synchromesh MT fluid. It will make your shifting much smoother and will over all make your transmission smoother as well. It will not get rid of the notchiness (which is done on purpose), but will make it much less irritating. You would need 2 quarts Amsoil Synchromesh ($16 each) and 2 crush washers for the drain plug and overflow plug (.50 cents each)

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
the amsoil synchromesh definitely smooths shit out in our trannies.

the lifespan of it isnt the beat tho. it must be changed every ~15k miles

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
you can't shift to reverse without completely stopping. As the reverse gear works with the help of idler gear and also there's a lockout mechanism to prevent wrong shift from 6th to reverse while going forward

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Was moving 2mph forward at a gas station. Clutched in and threw it in R to reverse next to a gas pump. Heard the most god awful screeching from my synchroes.
Full stop usually works. Sometimes it does get a little rough when you live on a hill and need to reverse backwards up into your driveway.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Was moving 2mph forward at a gas station. Clutched in and threw it in R to reverse next to a gas pump. Heard the most god awful screeching from my synchroes.
Full stop usually works. Sometimes it does get a little rough when you live on a hill and need to reverse backwards up into your driveway.
yeah trying to put her in reverse while moving at any speed causes some nasty ass grinds
Sponsored