10th gen Civic Sport 6-Speed to replace 8th gen Civic EX?

FD7683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys, I have a good question:

Here's the backstory - I own a 2006 Civic EX and it's a good car. It's quick and peppy (I over maintain my car) and looks nice being an almost 15 year old car. Thing is that having over 163k miles on this car, it's starting to fall apart. I've recently needed to put a lot of money and labor to keep this car straight - it still needs rear upper control arms, a full set of tires, and a full strut replacement (all 4). Also being a 2006, this car can suffer the engine block crack defect and strand me without a car any time for good - which is another reason why I want to get rid of it. Being that my car is falling apart and going to the Honda Dealership every time for new parts for my 8th gen, I had a good chance to take a nice look on the 10th generation civic sport they had on the lot.

When I was on the website to checkout the civic sport even further, I found that it comes in a 6 Speed Manual - and that did it. I now want the Civic Sport in a 6 Speed Manual Transmission. I gotta have it - not lying. I'll do whatever I need financially to get this car.

Now, I want to "get" this car next year by leasing it through the dealership with the intention of financing the rest after the lease is up. This is my problem - can I actually justify this purchase? does it drive better than the 8th gen civic? I really want to know. Being a freshman in a Community College (rarely have to pay bills) and building my credit fast - it might be a small challenge to lease a brand new car from Honda. I love the idea of getting a brand new car knowing i'll maintain it amazingly and knowing i'm the first owner of the car.

What do you guys think? I'm drooling for that 6 Speed Manual. I hate the automatic in my car - I operate the car like a manual (1-2-3D, and D) to really get it moving. Should I get rid of my 2006 Civic and move to the 10th generation? What do you guys think? I definitely need a commuter car that won't give me any issues when commuting to college. I don't want my 8th gen to overheat on the highway because of an engine block fracture that might happen lmao.

Sorry for the excessive typing - I know it's too much. Any response will definitely be appreciated! Thanks

- FD7683
Sponsored

Crazy Kanga

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
For what it's worth, I own the sedan 6mt and I do love it. The mt really helps to get the most out of the engine, and the shifter is really nice.

OP
OP

FD7683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do want to start off with a brand new car as I want to keep it long term. I do like the fact of starting the maintenance path with a brand new car knowing I won't get an abused Si, or a manual EX,DX, or LX.

I was considering the E90 328i first, but the parts on those are insanely expensive.

I do plan to get the car next year when my credit score is on the good side. My parents don't have a good credit score so I don't want a co-signer. I don't think i'll get s*** on the 8th gen as a trade in because of the severe trunk rust + frame damage from the rear end.

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen Civic Sport 6-Speed to replace 8th gen Civic EX? 0-1

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen Civic Sport 6-Speed to replace 8th gen Civic EX? 0-2

Honda Civic 10th gen 10th gen Civic Sport 6-Speed to replace 8th gen Civic EX? 0

I know this ain't the 8th gen forum that I'm normally at, but I do want a new car lmao.

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
I would say go for an off lease civic sport. I don't know which year they started making the sport in the 2.0L, but get a one or two year old car and at least you don't eat as much in depreciation. It's practically new at that age for a Honda.

OP
OP

FD7683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would say go for an off lease civic sport. I don't know which year they started making the sport in the 2.0L, but get a one or two year old car and at least you don't eat as much in depreciation. It's practically new at that age for a Honda.
I will consider that as well. I am a picky person so i'll have to find one in black paired with a 6-Speed.

happycamper515

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Country flag
10th Gen Sedan Sport MT are no longer being made. What ever is on lots now is all that will ever be made. The 10th Gen carryover into 2021 does not have a MT Sport Sedan. It's not clear whether the 11th Gen Sport Sedan will come with a MT.

OP
OP

FD7683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
10th Gen Sedan Sport MT are no longer being made. What ever is on lots now is all that will ever be made. The 10th Gen carryover into 2021 does not have a MT Sport Sedan. It's not clear whether the 11th Gen Sport Sedan will come with a MT.
Aw what? well thats a bummer. Are you welcome to provide a sort of proof (source)?

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
If you want a 6spd. You better buy it asap as they are becoming harder to find.

OP
OP

FD7683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you want a 6spd. You better buy it asap as they are becoming harder to find.
Whats a good credit score to lease one? I know Honda is easy on the people with low or starting credit.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
10th gen chassis will definitely be better than the 8th gen, and driving anything in manual will feel faster (and more fun) ;) If you can afford it then we welcome all converts seeking to help save the manuals!

Janssen098

First Name
Janssen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si
Country flag
Whats a good credit score to lease one? I know Honda is easy on the people with low or starting credit.
620 and up usually can get you in fairly easily sure 700 can get way better interest rates but should be fine in the 600 range for a loan not sure on lease never tried to get one. But lower you would need a fairly good down payment to get approved and would be from secondary financing places that usually charge your states max interest rate.

OP
OP

FD7683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
620 and up usually can get you in fairly easily sure 700 can get way better interest rates but should be fine in the 600 range for a loan not sure on lease never tried to get one. But lower you would need a fairly good down payment to get approved and would be from secondary financing places that usually charge your states max interest rate.
Thanks for the info!

nicksaurusrex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Hey guys, I have a good question:

Here's the backstory - I own a 2006 Civic EX and it's a good car. It's quick and peppy (I over maintain my car) and looks nice being an almost 15 year old car. Thing is that having over 163k miles on this car, it's starting to fall apart. I've recently needed to put a lot of money and labor to keep this car straight - it still needs rear upper control arms, a full set of tires, and a full strut replacement (all 4). Also being a 2006, this car can suffer the engine block crack defect and strand me without a car any time for good - which is another reason why I want to get rid of it. Being that my car is falling apart and going to the Honda Dealership every time for new parts for my 8th gen, I had a good chance to take a nice look on the 10th generation civic sport they had on the lot.

When I was on the website to checkout the civic sport even further, I found that it comes in a 6 Speed Manual - and that did it. I now want the Civic Sport in a 6 Speed Manual Transmission. I gotta have it - not lying. I'll do whatever I need financially to get this car.

Now, I want to "get" this car next year by leasing it through the dealership with the intention of financing the rest after the lease is up. This is my problem - can I actually justify this purchase? does it drive better than the 8th gen civic? I really want to know. Being a freshman in a Community College (rarely have to pay bills) and building my credit fast - it might be a small challenge to lease a brand new car from Honda. I love the idea of getting a brand new car knowing i'll maintain it amazingly and knowing i'm the first owner of the car.

What do you guys think? I'm drooling for that 6 Speed Manual. I hate the automatic in my car - I operate the car like a manual (1-2-3D, and D) to really get it moving. Should I get rid of my 2006 Civic and move to the 10th generation? What do you guys think? I definitely need a commuter car that won't give me any issues when commuting to college. I don't want my 8th gen to overheat on the highway because of an engine block fracture that might happen lmao.

Sorry for the excessive typing - I know it's too much. Any response will definitely be appreciated! Thanks

- FD7683
As someone who grew up driving standard and bought a brand spankin’ new 10th gen auto hatch - get the 6 speed manual but get a 2 year old one. 30k miles on a “used” car is nothing. It’s brand new, you won’t be upside down on the loan, but don’t settle for an automatic.. ever.

Just remember, no matter how tempting that new car is, it’s gonna drop in value tremendously after you buy it and you’ll be stuck paying for all that “newness”.

Last edited:

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As someone who grew up driving standard and bought a brand spankin’ new 10th gen auto hatch - get the 6 speed manual but get a 2 year old one. 30k miles on a “used” car is nothing. It’s brand new, you won’t be upside down on the loan, but don’t settle for an automatic.. ever.

Just remember, no matter how tempting that new car is, it’s gonna drop in value tremendously after you buy it and you’ll be stuck paying for all that “newness”.
I agree with the getting a lightly used car! I got my EX-T brand new and while I love it, I wish I went with a used car. Like mentioned, 30k miles on a car is barely just broken in, ESPECIALLY on Honda's. You can find plenty of used Civics with low miles just at or under $20k.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I will disagree with some of the others and say, if you can swing a brand new car and you take good care of your vehicles, go new. A manual with a k20 that is well cared for will probably last you 15+ years.

You never know what is wrong with a used car. Hidden accidents, abuse, flooding,...
Sponsored